SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mirjana_conte

Seeking wall panelling advice....

Mirjana Conte
3 years ago

Hello - Looking for any design advice you may be able to offer me. I'm NOT a professional tradesperson, although I have done drywalling and some finish carpentry in the past. I’m a professional graphic designer in Canada who is now trying my hand on a wall moulding/panelling project in the foyer of my house. This is the first time I’m doing wall moulding. Because my foyer isn’t closed off from the rest of my home, I decided that I could better define the foyer space by putting some wall moulding in… and give my guests a great first impression when they come into my home while I’m at it. So using my graphics software, I decided to map out my walls to scale so I can figure out my layout and any potential problems beforehand. And I do have a couple of problem areas.

I have a couple of walls where the space beside the doors is too small to put two 3.5” stiles (one panel) but they are too big to just put one wide stile in (no panel) without it looking funny. I'm using rails and stiles that are 3.5 inches wide with no chair rail. My baseboards are 7.25" high, my crown is approx 4.5" high and my door casings are 3.5" wide. I attached my little diagram to this post so you can see what I mean. The diagram shows all the door casings, baseboards and crown as dark grey, but they will in fact be white as will all the rest of the moulding. I marked my problem areas in red. Wondered if any of you have ever seen anything like this? I'm hoping that some of you will be generous enough to share some thoughts and/or advice on a bonus room that I'm finally getting around to finishing. BTW, this is a paint-grade project.

Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Best regards,
Mirjana

Comments (6)