SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brendapaw

Seeking advice designing a kitchen with no interior walls only islands

brendapaw
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are in the inspiration/dream stage of a home reconstruction. The kitchen/living/wine/dining will all be together with no interior walls on the top floor. We will have a skillion roof with an 11' ceiling starting at the living space and rising to 18' over the kitchen. We want ceiling to floor windows with no obstruction. Therefore we have started to conceive of a kitchen of islands only. One island with a large deep single sink and drawer dishwashers on either side, the other with a range or cook top/wall oven combo. The exhaust fan would have to come down from the ceiling. We are thinking of fridge/freezer in drawers also, no big sub zero. I am thinking that one of the two islands needs to be taller than the other, say anywhere from 48" to 60" in height so that a microwave can be inserted near the top that won't be too low for my 6" husband. In that case we could have a higher wall oven too. Even with that higher island we would preserve our sightlines and light and have a nice display space for plants or art. I want the two islands to be parallel to each other but they can differ in length. If anyone out there has experience with the drawer appliances that might make this possible, we'd appreciate your response. We have about 26' by 14' in which to work this. Of course storage will be an issue, husband will probably consent to wall storage on the opposite side of the open space where dining/wine storage will be. I will want seating on one side of the lower island.

I am trying to add a screenshot of the tentative floor plan here. It is the space in the lower right. This is a working document still very plastic. The engineer does have things lined up on an exterior wall here, we know that, we are thinking of changing that.

Comments (10)