SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Planted Genetically Identical Roses in Three Different Container Soils

I received some climbing roses from a seller and decided to plant them in three different container soil mixes. I have a different result than I expected, and I wanted to share it for discussion.

First, the plants in question were supposed to be Honeymoon climbing roses. Whatever I was sold, they are apparently a very weak genetic specimen. I learned a lesson here to buy climbing roses from reputable growers like David Austin. That confession made, these should be genetically identical specimens, taken from the same mother plant. That should give some fair basis for comparing their growth in different container media.

Here are the soil mixes and the result for each:

Mix A: 1/3 peat, 1/3 turface, and 1/3 pumice. Notice how in this mix the plant is becoming leggy. There is more vertical growth than in Mix B or Mix C.

Mix B: This is the Gritty Mix, but I used a decomposed bark from a very old Gritty Mix container, so it holds more moisture. Note that this Gritty Mix uses 1/4 inch granite stones, so in some ways, the more decomposed bark makes up for the too-large stones. The growth result for this one was a real surprise. Notice how the plant is stunted low to the ground and there is very little vertical growth. But the energy seems to have gone into leaf growth, and the leaves are bigger than Mix A and Mix C.

Mix C: 1/3 peat, 1/3 sand (< 1/16" particle sizes, so too-small), and 1/3 Turface. This mix is an extremely wet mix. I expected a relatively thirsty plant like a rose to do at least acceptably well in this mix. To my surprise, this mix provided the best overall aesthetic balance between vertical growth and leaf growth. The plant looks more "balanced" than with Mixes A and B.

I did not fertilize these plants. They were grown in the shade. I pH balanced Mixes A and C with dolomite lime.

Does anyone have any explanation for these results?

Photos below, labeled with the Mix ID.

Comments (130)