SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sophie_r92

Unusual kitchen layout - how to rearrange?

Sophie R
3 years ago

I posted on here a while ago looking for advice on modernizing our 90s kitchen. General consensus was that doing any small fixes was putting a bandaid on it and that we need a total renovation, which is what we've now decided to do.

We're going to have everything ripped out and basically start from scratch, replacing floors, cabinets, countertops etc. We'll keep our Kitchenaid fridge as we bought it when we moved in 2019 and the Bosch dishwasher will stay. Here's some of my original pictures for reference:

Now my main concern is where everything should go. Sink will stay in the same place and we'll add a centre island, getting rid of the weird angled island that is currently there. I'm wondering about extending the kitchen to the other side of the room and adding cabinets and countertop there as right now it's not being used and feels like a waste of space.

I guess my main questions are:

- We need to fit sink, fridge, dishwasher, wall oven/microwave and gas cooktop in. Could any of these be moved over to the other side of the kitchen? It feels silly trying to fit everything into one side but I am wary of the triangle and going against that.

- Thoughts on wall oven/cooktop vs. range? I feel like a range eliminates one of the appliances we need to fit in but I do like the wall oven.

- General advice on layout?

I had played around with the kitchen designer on IKEA as it's a helpful tool and did an initial design. Thoughts? I'm not sure about the fridge being on one side and the oven being all the way on the opposite wall.

Basically any advice/ideas you have would be amazing. It's such a big change and I'm so nervous to make the wrong choices!

Comments (7)