SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_36691265

Need to hang curtains for one bay window at a different height! Help

HU-36691265
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have these four windows in my living room across three walls... Two in the middle wall, and two on each side on the angled walls. Normally, I would hang curtains from floor to almost ceiling. The problem is that right above the right-side window, there is a boxed-in vent so that the curtain rod could not go up much farther than the top of the window.

I have read some stuff about hanging curtains for different window sizes and heights. Everything says to just hang the rod at the same place (up high) to create that perception of length. But this is a case of the same size window, but *needing* to hang the curtain at a different height.

Options:

A) Hang the curtains all at the same height (below the vent). I worry that hanging all of the rods at this height wouldn't look great because there is lots of space left above the rod to the ceiling and I'm pretty sure that never looks good.

B) Hang curtains from floor to ceiling for the middle two windows, and at the very low height (right below the vent) for both the first and last window. So there would be symmetry on both sides, but I feel like this could make the room look smaller with the eye being drawn upwards for the middle window but not the side windows (?).

C) Hang curtains from floor to ceiling for the first three windows/two walls, and hang curtains at the very low height (right below the vent) just for the last window. But would this asymmetry look super weird and change perceptions of the dimensions of the room?

D) Similar to C, Hang curtains from floor to ceiling for the first three windows, but instead of doing low curtains for the fourth window, do something funky with that window, like cover it with a tapestry or beaded curtain, just to embrace and acknowledge the weirdness.

Which option do you think is best? Or is there another option I am not thinking about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

(ignore the ugly furniture and stuff in the photo... we just moved in!!)

Comments (22)