SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhomeplace

Landscaping around long pond

Hannah Koenker
3 years ago

Hi - a bit stumped about what to do around this long pond at the back of our backyard. We are in Maryland. Images are from today when we swept away the leaves and took up a few rocks. It is currently surrounded by hostas although due to tree removal the last couple years, we have more sun now than previously. There had been some rock borders and other plantings but I've neglected it for several years and hoping to start over a bit. My partner really prefers native plants. When the hostas grow in it's difficult to get around back of the pond to scoop leaves, manage the pond cover, etc, and I'm not sure what to do with that area - it's a jumble of random stones, old bricks, and the hostas. There are a few daffodils in the front. Partner has been talking about installing a trellis on the short retaining wall to further separate the pond area from his compost/brush pile empire. The empty sandy area in front of the pond resulted from a pond leakage 7 years ago and nothing grows there now and it collects water when it rains due to how our yard drains. I don't know what to do with the little planting area behind the frog.

I would like for it to look tidy and green and be able to walk around it as needed. Partner prefers lots of (native) plantings to using mulch. Thank you for any suggestions!

Comments (3)