SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Shopping for Outdoor Furniture

Funkyart
3 years ago

I am having some serious (and much needed) yardwork done-- including removing some unruly and boring bushes and then replanting. I will also replace my patio furniture. My goal is to create a comfortable oasis for myself... for reading, chatting/sharing a meal and also working through a summer of wfh.

There are SO many places to shop for outdoor furniture that I am overwhelmed. I prefer a style that is natural looking and that is comfortable ... and something a little different. I also don't want to spend crazy money. I am trying to stay in the 3k range or under for some combination of sofa and/or chairs for a cozy conversational area.

I have a few items that stood out to me-- but I am hesitant (paralyzed) to purchase because I can't actually SIT on them.

What is your go-to for reasonably priced outdoor furniture? Do you have experience with Grandin Rd or West Elm?

Here are some I've saved ...

I am really intrigued by these from Grandin Road because they have cushions built into the woven seats. Reviews are VERY positive.. and I kind of like the option to throw pillows instead of seat cushions.

These are from West Elm-- which i think of as the lower end of the PB, WS, WE family.. and perhaps unfairly, I am concerned about how they will wear over time-- but i really like the look.

I also like this .. it is not a unique style but it definitely calls to me to sit in it!

Comments (71)

• cmm1964
    3 years ago

I live in Florida so our lanai is used constantly. I did get a more expensive set from Jensen Leisure Furniture. It is made from Ipe wood which weathers to gray or you can condition it to stay dark. Sunbrella cushions as well which clean up with Dawn detergent and a hose. Our lanai is really an extension of our house so I needed nap worthy furniture.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I bought a set 21 yr ago-- I had just moved and had visitors coming. I picked up a wrought iron set from the Martha Stewart line at Kmart -- $499 on sale for $299 and I still love the chairs!! They are the rock motion chairs Tina describes... and YES, they are always my preferred seats! I have painted them every few years but they are still amazing and going strong!

But they aren't club chairs.. or a lounging spot for a book. I'd love to incorporate them into the plan but I have yet to find a set that i think will coordinate well (doesn't mean I will give them up-- I haven't decided).

Pollen is a issue-- and dust of course, but i would just hose them down. I regularly hose the whole porch. It is covered.

I am currently trying to nail down a configuration. Do i want all cozy chairs? A sofa? A small sectional? All could work.. some more than others. Late this year or early next I will be having a patio built for grills (large charcoal grill and a big green egg). That will free up some space.

I tend to think I will gravitate to a cozy chair-- but who knows? Chairs seem better for guests-- i mean who wants to be side by side on a sofa in the summer heat?! I am not much of a napper but maybe a comfy sofa in the summer breeze will change that?

I think i am all over the place ... and still overwhelmed by all the choices.. and still looking for that "something different".

This is the morning's frontrunner. It hits 2 of my 3 criteria. It is VERY affordable, seems to be good quality-- but it isnt all that different. It would surely work. I think the chairs are a bit large but they are the size the men gravitate to at my sister's house.

• Related Discussions

Where to furniture shop in NJ- traditional style

Q

Comments (23)
    I have been to: Raymour and flannigan- Decent stuff--mid priced. bought the kids furniture and some of the office furniture there. Happy with the quality and the service. Sales people attack you at the door- but still worth checking out. Raymour and flannigan clearance- I went twice did not see anything i was looking for - but if you are looking to be thrifty check it out Ethan Allan- love their things but the style is not really what i'm looking for at this time. High End. Ashley- too low end for my taste Rider Furniture- Great things but a smaller store- if you know what you are looking for the will usually beat the price. Traditional style items. Flemington Department Store- Be aware- you will think you walked into some hokey gross thrift shop--- but keep going in-- Great selection of name brand furniture- huge store... good prices- worth the drive.. Also they sell things like great cleaning products for stainless steel and wood floors. Gasior's on Route 206 in Belle Mead- High End- very pricey and very stuffy. Too fancy for my lifestyle and kids... Thomasville- Very nice furniture- mid/high end. Bought a tv console and end tables. Sales men a little pushy but liked the quality. Nice store. Lauter's Furniture- Far drive for me... but a great store- I didn't find what i was looking for, but reasonable prices and HUGE store. Macys Furniture- too low end for me Decorators Consignment- Hopewell NJ- Great consignment store- I have not found anything yet, more of a hit or miss, but worth checking out. You might have to go a few times to find what you are looking for. Greenbaum's in Paterson - Too high end for me
    ...See More

The bedroom shop Wigan now on adwords has The furniture shop Bolton

Q

Comments (1)
    Perhaps their was a communication breakdown. Try giving them a call and ask to speak to the manager.
    ...See More

furniture shopping

Q

Comments (1)
    Maybe you'll decide to shop online? I can recommend you one store: https://www.dakowindows.com/, especially if you want to buy high quality windows or doors, as well as smart home products. Check it out and let me know whether you like it!
    ...See More

Furniture Shopping... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Q

Comments (10)
    It depends where you live. Here is my list Crate & Barrel CB2 Arhaus Pottery Barn West Elm Living Spaces Robb & Stucky (FL) Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Mitchell Gold Stores Here are the 25 largest furniture chains in the country Ashley Furniture Home Stores (National) — HQ in Arcadia, Wisconsin IKEA (National) — HQ in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania Rooms to Go (South) — HQ in Seffner, Florida Berkshire Hathaway Furniture Division (National — includes Jordan’s Furniture, Nebraska Furniture Mart, and other brands) — HQ in Omaha, Nebraska Williams-Sonoma (National — includes Pottery Barn, West Elm, and other brands) — HQ in San Francisco, California American Signature (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Columbus, Ohio Raymour & Flanigan (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Liverpool, New York Pier 1 Imports (National) — HQ in Fort Worth, Texas La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries (National) — HQ in Monroe, Michigan Sleepy’s (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Hicksville, New York Crate & Barrel (National) — HQ in Northbrook, Illinois Haverty’s (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Atlanta, Georgia Ethan Allen (National) — HQ in Danbury, Connecticut Bob’s Discount Furniture (Northeast) — HQ in Manchester, Connecticut Mattress Firm (National) — HQ in Houston, Texas Art Van (Midwest) — HQ in Warren, Michigan Select Comfort (National) — HQ in Minneapolis, Minnesota Badcock Home Furniture & More (South) — HQ in Mulberry, Florida Slumberland (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Little Canada, Minnesota RoomStore (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Richmond, Virginia Mathis Brothers (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Cost Plus World Market (Multi-Regional) — HQ in Oakland, California Bassett Home Furnishings (National) — HQ in Bassett, Virginia The Sleep Train (West) — HQ in Citrus Heights, California American Furniture Warehouse (West) — HQ in Englewood, Colorado
    ...See More
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I have real wicker. It gets dusty. If the piece has removable cushions you can hose off and set in sun to dry. Mine is upholstered. I vacuum and call it good.

Funkyart thanked l pinkmountain
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

Love those! They look very plush and comfy, and with good-sized arms. Classic style, too.

Funkyart thanked Jilly
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha Jinx! I need to stop thinking of classic as "ordinary" and not "something different".

I still like my original first and second choices-- but the second is almost double the cost of the set just above-- and that set includes covers!

• maggieq
    3 years ago

Hey Funky, where is the latest set from? Also in the market!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I vote for a (generous) ottoman if the set has one. For your feet, for a tray, for an extra seat when you have a crowd.

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah yes.. I think my ideal would be a sofa, an ottoman that could be used as footrest or chaise .. and hold a tray or work as a table.. and then a very cozy chair. I can accommodate two chairs but I think one is perfect for my needs.

Maggieq - it's better homes & gardens.

• maggieq
    3 years ago

Do you have a source? Don't see it on Walmart.com. Thanks.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Our ottoman opens up for storage. I love it. It's the plastic stuff but blends perfectly with my real wicker.

Funkyart thanked l pinkmountain
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I agree about the ottoman. Ours is usually with the club chair, but it's easy to slide over to the sofa. I'm not one to nap or even lay on the sofa, preferring to sit with my feet up on something. I actually used to have a chaise, but I am short and it always seemed kind of awkward getting on/off and the Mr. would never use it, so I got rid of it.

Pink, real wicker is wood. Do you have yours out in the weather? I have a wicker chair from my dad's family. I think I've mentioned it before. It is wood wicker with a cane seat. Beautiful chair, but sadly it is in the basement. I really don't have a good place to use it! I should have thought of that when this past year I bought two armchairs - both for bedrooms.

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maggie.. it may not be available in your area. My friend out of state found it but he had to dig because it was out of stock in his area. There's only one available in my area. It's called River Oaks.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And just like that ... it's sold out in my area.

Too slow.. though it is early in the season so who knows, it may be restocked.

• wsea
    3 years ago

We purchased a set from leisure made https://www.leisuremade.com/ . So far we love it. Very comfortable With the thick cushions. We did pay a bit more to get the sunbrella fabric.

Funkyart thanked wsea
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

A bit late to the party, but we have patio furniture from both Ballard and PB and both have held up really well. Patio table/chairs from Ballard are the Amalfi collection. I’ve had the table and 4 chairs for probably 8-10 years and they still look new. I don’t even cover them up — they stay on the patio all thru New England winters. I added two extra “wicker” chairs to the set a couple of years ago but I don’t see them on the web site now.

The comfy chairs I have from PB are the Palmetto all-weather wicker lounge chairs. We’ve had them for two years, again, still in perfect condition even after wintering outside. They are super comfy for reading. We have two, plus one ottoman.

I have more “upscale” faux wicker on my front porch — the brand name escapes me now — but I also have a couple other smaller scale PB chairs sharing space with them and they are equally durable.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sue... not too late! I am still shopping and still all over the place!

I LOVE the Ballard Amalfi collection but I don't like the current cover colors. They used to have it in a spa blue color but I just can't see spending the $$ on such a bland color.

And get this.. the Palmetto collection at PB is also on my list! I think the footprint of the whole collection is too big (and more than i want to spend) but I really like the chair and am considering either mixing and matching the chairs or just doing chairs with no sofa.

I think I'd be very happy with comfortable chairs without a sofa.. but i do like how a sofa anchors a space.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Yeah, the Palmetto chairs are pretty big. Darn, but I do think that both places have decent quality for outdoor furniture.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh no-- i could make the chairs work for sure. I just think the whole collection-- a sofa, chairs etc will be too much.

I am really considering doing just the chairs... either 2 or 4.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

I found the makers of my furniture. It is 20 years old and still in great shape. Here's the sofa I have:

and here is the collection:

built to last

Yes, it is pricey, but so well built.

Funkyart thanked jojoco
  • nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I have a sofa and chairs in the covered patio. Nap in it when there’s a breeze. Daytime napping is something I’ve *never* done until this last year when I retired. That’s one activity I can say marks retirement to me. It‘s the most delicious sleep state.

Funkyart thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jojoco.. i really like the Lloyd Flanders. We used to have a local shop that carried it but i don't think they do anymore. I am not opposed to spending money on something that is comfortable and I am certain will last based on others' experiences.

I appreciate KSWL's recommendation on the other thread to spend the money on comfort! That is the point of this project. While I am somewhat interested in a comfortable place for visitors, the primary focus is a comfortable and aesthetically pleasing space for myself! I am looking for a respite from long work days and other life stresses... and I am at least partially funding it with the $$ from a work award that I earned working those long hours! LOL.

I wish I had more options where I can actually go and sit in and try the seating. Things like height and cushion quality make such a difference! Right now the only possibility is Pottery Barn-- and even that requires travel. We do have Home Depot, Lowes, Big Lots and Target but I really didn't see anything of interest from any of their sites.

• maggieq
    3 years ago

Funky, thanks. Do not see it here in SC, but will keep looking. We like the square shape of the chairs.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

Funky, I can personally attest to the comfort of both the chair and sofa. But I wish I had the ottoman too.

Funkyart thanked jojoco
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I have Brown Jordan, purchased second hand. And I didn't even purchase it. Two sets, chairs, side tables, lounge, larger glass table that my SIL bought and gave to me. She was invited to a 'night before estate sale to shop', courtesy extended to the estates neighbors. She took boths sets, then realized the style of the chair legs would not work on her dock board spacing where she had wanted to use them waterfront. I benefited.

Two years ago I saw Brown Jordan patio chairs at Costco for the first time. I'd have bought them in a heartbeat but no longer needed chairs, and didn't want to devote any more winter storage space to additional patio furniture.

Funkyart thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Ah, Lloyd Flanders. Simply the best.

Funkyart thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

We have a dining set we keep outside and two chairs as small side table that have been on our porch for 20+ years from Summer Classics. It looks new and the two chairs are extremely comfortable. I put the chair cushions away during pollen season in the spring to keep from having to clean them so much and for most of the winter. Maybe there is a store near you who carries the line. There are also some nice items on their sale page.

We have been shopping for some new things as well. We wanted to reconfigure and tweak our patio. We have so far bought a gas fire pit and a new cantilevered umbrella. We are going to move the existing table and chairs and add a sofa, probably a two-seater, which we are shopping for now. So far we think we are going with one from Lowe’s simply because it looks close to a match for our existing stuff and is comfy. We were in the store a few days ago when no one was there so we actually sat in it.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I don't think I'd forego a sofa, unless it was a small space, which it sounds like it's not.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did find something very similar to the Ballard Amalfi set -- same orig price but discounted a bit. The two chairs and ottoman are over my intended budget for furniture but I am still considering them as they've been on my wishlist for many years. Here in green-- but there are numerous colors.

I do like the look and they would coordinate with my current wrought iron dining/chair set.

Mtn.. I tend to think the a sofa is necessary/expected too.. but then I think how little I'd use it in a way that only a sofa would do. IYKWIM. I don't ever see napping on it.. slouching maybe.. but I can do that in a chair. I don't see two people sitting next to each other if they had other options. IDK.

What has become clear to me is that even though I can't build the patio until fall or next spring, I really need to sketch my vision-- then tweak it a billion times-- and then determine what pieces I want based on the overall plan. I need to at least get close enough that I can confidently know what I will want long term vs this minute.

(The delay for the patio is because my landscaper will rent the equipment to chip the root ball and tamp down the ground later in the season when he can do the work for all clients at the same time-- I can't drive his schedule-- or if I did, I am sure it would be with a $$ increase).

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Funky art, what I found was that if you find something you like, better buy it early in the season, as many things get sold out by later in summer. At least that is what happened last year with the pandemic in full swing. Maybe this year will be different and more normal, who knows.

I could not find several items in fall last year when I wanted to purchase them, like the patio umbrella or the gas fire pit, which is why I jumped on it early this year. Yeah, we have a wood burning fire pit but it’s Smokey and not always convenient to go built the fire when you just want to sit out for 30 minutes and enjoy it for a while. Hence the gas unit. We still have the wood burner and will use it too somewhere out away from the patio.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

What Outside said. Ask me why, on my porch in Maine, i have old ladyish white wicker and lime cushions on my sofa, chairs and ottoman) and then aqua cushion on my dining set.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    3 years ago

The BHG stuff cycles in and out of stock all the time.When I bought my second daybed, it took 3 weeks of daily visits to the website to wait until it came back into stock and snag it.

Funkyart thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I love these pillows. They are so unusual

• nosoccermom
    3 years ago

Have you checked Costco?

At least their return policy is great If you don’t like it or something breaks.

Funkyart thanked nosoccermom
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Outside & Mtn, very good point-- and i think that especially applies to the PBs, Ballards, Grandin Road, etc. Like Beagles said, I have seen sets go in and out of stock at Walmart and Wayfair. We'll see. The set i was willing to "settle on" is inexpensive enough that if I don't find something to wow me in the next few weeks, I will keep checking back. I would be thrilled to move the 2k I'd save from my furniture budget to landscaping and amenities.

Mtn-- is it strange that it delights me when you and Sue share items I already have on my wishlist? LOL. It isn't so much your validations-- it is more a sense of kismet and connection to my beloved internet pals!

So that is to say, I saw the new additions to Annie Selke earlier this week-- and was smitten! They are little pricey for the porch but I have 2 of them saved. I could see purchasing one-- and really, having more than one might be overkill!

Nosoccermom - yes, I have looked at Costco, Sams Club and BJs. I did find a dining set I love but my focus this year is on comfort/lounging furniture. I'll use my current dining set until I complete the patio area.

I have been focused on the conversation and failed to thank you all for your input! I do appreciate.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Right back at you, Funky! Totally kindred spirits. : )

• Kitch4me
    3 years ago

Those are cool pillows!

I too am searching for patio furniture. Actually, a small dining set for 4. I really like the Sams set you posted, but it’s too big for my space. I found a round teak table I’m considering, but need to find some comfy chairs.

Would you mind sharing the dining set you found and loved? Thanks!

Funkyart thanked Kitch4me
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kitch4me -- the dining set above from Sams Club is what i was referring to but it's too big for my current setup too. It might fit when I add the patio but I have since seen many similar sets. Such as this one which is much smaller from Better Homes and Gardens..

I don't have a good photo of my current set but i did find this old photo-- shared on GW about 10 yr ago and it was old then (my dogs have both since died (sob) and the neighbor girls are adults!). You have to look closely to see the chair designs. The table isn't something special and it's not in great shape. I may just buy an inexpensive table this season to use with my existing chairs.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And while looking for a photo of my chairs (I know i shared one after i repainted them a few years ago), I also found this photo I shared as a recommendation when Sue was looking for good quality patio furniture! If Ballard still sold this color-- this is what I'd order.

Ballard Amalfi Collection

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Funky, they do have it in the Sunbrella Spa color which is like the one above, maybe a tad darker. Hard to tell online. No contrasting welting though.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hmm.. from what I saw, you could only purchase them as replacement cushions. Maybe I misunderstood. Thanks for pointing it out.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Oops, the spa color does seem to be for the replacement cushions only. Bummer.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

I love those Amalfi chairs. ❤️

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Kitch4me
    3 years ago

Thanks Funkyart. Beautiful dogs! So sad when we lose them.

The BHG set is nice. Adding it to my list.

Decisions, decisions!

Good luck with your search!

Funkyart thanked Kitch4me
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

Wait a minute. I can’t believe that Amalfi chair is like $2300. That is nuts!

Also annoying that BD has 20% everything EXCEPT outdoor furniture right now. I want to order the Amalfi side table. I’m a little afraid that if I wait, it will be sold out. 🤔

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I absolutely love the chair but you are right! It is nuts! I am not sure I can justify the price-- also it is aluminum and at that price, I'd expect Iron. To replace the cushions it will cost over 1K. I wouldn't expect to replace them often but maybe every 3-4 yr? an come back and share tonight. I think the brand was Meadowcraft and the line is Athena.

I absolutely love the design and especially the size but I am not sure I can justify the price-- also it is aluminum and at that price, I'd expect wrought Iron (I prefer the weight of iron). To replace the cushions it will cost over 1K. I wouldn't expect to replace them often but maybe every 3-4 yr?

I absolutely love but I am not sure I can justify the price-- also it is aluminum and at that price, I'd expect Iron. To replace the cushions it will cost over 1K. I wouldn't expect to replace them often but maybe every 3-4 yr? an come back and share tonight. I think the brand was Meadowcraft and the line is Athena.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I would go for a not so matchy mix. A few of your existing dark chairs would be great mixed with other items with dark/black & a natural cane or wicker “tone” combo. The great thing about taking that route is that you could splurge a bit on two high style chairs that you love. For inspiration check out Jamie Young for ideas. From there you could also look at WMarket as they also have some things in cane/wicker dark trim combos. Then, that leaves the door open for natural “tone” accessories or a high style ottoman anchor in a dark shade. Add your color and presto chango you have a magazine worthy but comfortable oasis. And, it will have that “lil bit different” stylish look and not be a cut-out.

Funkyart thanked just_terrilynn
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

JT, I have been toying with a mix and match approach-- i have saved some photos combining some of the pieces I like from different collections. I think you are right-- that is how i may be able to best achieve my "something different" IFF I do it correctly. I won't want to combine a boxy, straight line design with one that is curvier, etc. I will also want to keep things similar heights. I appreciate the thought/suggestion.

I also know that I keep leaning towards the "weathered" natural look vs dark brown. I think that could work with my existing chairs if i pull it together well with a rug etc. (I haven't even begun looking at rugs and won't until I am further along).

I also think i am leaning towards a vintage classic look--- the one outlier there is the better homes & garden set. Since it is out of stock, I'll only worry about that if it returns to stock. I will of course add color and my kind of "funky" in the accessories.

Still considering how to incorporate a fridge (i think I have a spot that could work-- and would also allow me to leave water for delivery guys!) and still seriously considering a Free Little Library. Ok, that won't be part of the porch space but it's something I want to do. It may be my birthday present to myself (april).

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

Yeah Funk, with your talent of finding unique...I’m excited for you with this approach.

Edited to add:

I‘m sending some creative high energy your way ZZZZZZ>>>>>>>>>^^^^^^^^^ZZZZZ>>>>>>>>^^^^^^^^^ZZZZZZ

• deeinohio
    3 years ago

We travelled to North Carolina to sit in outdoor chairs and the most comfortable sink-in-fall asleep ones were Lane Venture. The cushions have drainage fabric on their underside, and dry incredibly fast. We later bought 4 rockers with just seat cushions, and they are also very comfortable. It was surprising how many high end brands were incredibly uncomfortable.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I took a short break and called our local LLoyd Flanders dealer. They have quite a variety of styles on the floor-- but not the one i like best (Weekend Retreat). She did note that it is a smaller scale than the others they have in stock but that doesn't really help me to determine how comfortably they sit. I will look to see if there are dealers in other areas-- i am thinking there must be a place in Lancaster or Baltimore (both approx an hr from here).

It is a loomed wicker that is painted which gives it longevity.. Price wise it isn't out of range of the majority of others I am considering. Thanks for the recommend, @jojoco!