SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katimuha

Garage eater that will bring all the bees to the yard?

Hey friends! I’m looking for suggestions for a ginormous climber/rambler to plant near the veggie garden. Bonus points if bees adore it, as it will be right next to the veggie patch and increased yield would be rad. It has an entire two car garage to eat all to itself. Sun there is full and ideal for roses, soil will be that good good veggie garden compost and manure amended clay, will get plenty of water from veggie patch overflow. It’s also a protected spot so I could probably zone push a tetch if necessary, there’s no strong drying winter wind there as there’s windbreaks all around, so the bottom 10 ft of the rose will always be protected.

What I’m looking for in order of importance:

Blackspot resistance (a little is okay, but no disease riddled defoliators, I won’t even spray dormant spray on it near the veg) and it’s a prominent spot

Rebloom: The more the better because bees, but a non-remontant would be okay as long as it’s late and long, around the time the veg is being pollinated, if such a once-bloomer exists

Thorns: I don’t mind a few to average, as I’ll train it up and out of the way, but it is near a walkway so no notoriously thorny beasts, please

Fragrance: Yes, please, but not an absolute necessity

Color and bloom form: Any

Thank you! There seems like so many good options so I’d love to hear your favorites and get help narrowing it down.

Comments (55)