SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kay_thompson35

30 inch hood for 6 inch ducting

Kay Thompson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I recently purchased a house that was completely remodeled. I have a GE profile range that requires 625 cfm. I have read however if you do Asian cooking that you should add 200 - 300 cfm to that. The kitchen has a vissani hood 375 cfm with 6 inch duct to the roof. I checked and the ducting is flexible. The hood is not strong enough for the high meat sears and high heat cooking I often do which is causing the smoke alarm to go off.

I live in southern california. No fire place. Water heater is electric. There is a window right next to the kitchen that I open every time I cook. The stove is against a wall. The hood is wall mounted. The kitchen is open to the dining and living room.

I am willing to increase duct size if that is necessary. It seems like the best thing to do is to buy a new hood and get a bigger duct size. I have also read things about getting an inline blower or rooftop blower, but I'm not really well versed in this.

Currently my hood is 8-9 sones at highest speed which seems wayyy too loud.

Would like to know your recommendations for hood brands or even particular models. I'm not picky about appearance. Just want something that is stainless steel with the best capture for smoke and grease.

Comments (12)