SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_evans9

36 inch range hood 6 vs. 7 vs. 8 inch duct?

S Ever
5 years ago

I have read many of the range hood threads out here but still have some questions.

Background:

• I am getting a 30 inch Bluestar Platinum Range
  • Generally we do a lot of frying but not super intense heat, I would like to use the grill on the platinum and do some more wok cooking --
  • My contractor says that there is only room for a 7 inch duct to the outside
  • So the exhaust path would be up a few feet to the ceiling, 90 degree turn, about 15 feet to vent outside (there may be another 90 degree turn to vent outside as well not sure

What I am looking for:

• I am looking for a 36 inch wide range hood in the range of 600 CFM
  • This would be a wall mount (not chimney) 18 inch high hood (but would consider 9 inch high.
  • I like the Vent-a-hood models (large capture area, seem efficient) but they have an 8-inch duct
  • Many other brands in this range also have an 8 inch duct

Question/Recommendations:

• Do I go with an 8 inch duct hood but reduce it to 7 inches?
  • Do I look for a hood with a 7 inch duct so there is no reductions (there do not seem to be that many out there)
  • Do I go with a hood with a 6 inch duct (more choices)?
  • Any recommendations?

It seems a bit odd to me that an out-of-the box 6 inch ducted hood would perform better than an 8-reduced-to-7 inch ducted range hood like a Ventahood.

At the end of the day I just want good performance while keeping noise manageable and not going to crazzy on high CFMs that I likley will not need 95% of the time.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!