SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

What’s the secret to using Floetrol? Bad results

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I bought some Flood Floetrol, when a paint I was using showed brushmarks.
On a painting forum someone suggested Floetrol to extend the drying time and allow the paint ridges to flow together.
Except it didn’t work, and I don’t know if I either did something wrong, or got a bad bottle.
I added the Floetrol in the 4 to 1 paint to additive ratio as listed on the bottle. I STILL have brushstrokes. It’s not even a reduced number of brushstrokes, it’s the same. I then thought I’d try a roller – a mini-roller with a fine texture - and that also showed texture. Not as ugly as the brushstrokes, but still bad. I’m painting primed metal, so brushstrokes on it look TERRIBLE.
The consistency of the Floetrol is like very thick gravy; or halfway between thick gravy and yogurt. Is this right, or did I get a bad batch? Considering how thick this is, I can't imagine any ridges flowing together. It set pretty quickly. In fact, drying time was not much different.
When I googled the right way to use this product, most of the hits are for using it for acrylic pour paintings (art): not what I'm trying to do: so I didn't get any useful tips. Thanks.

Comments (11)