SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaps01

Desperately seeking advice on replacement windows

shaps
3 years ago

I would greatly appreciate some much needed advice on replacement windows. I have been reading everything I can here on windows for about a year and a half. There is so much helpful info here from professionals & homeowners but and the more I read, the more confused I get!

I need to replace the windows in my home (11 windows and 1 sliding glass door). I currently have the original aluminum slider windows. I would like brown or bronze exterior and wood or wood "look" interior. Sliders or casement would look best. I like the look of casements but the house is a split entry and lower level windows in front are ground level so casements would not work well there. I would mix sliders downstairs and casements up as long as the outsides match.

I doubt I'll be in the house more than 10 years so, although I want good windows, I'm not worried about 20 years down the road.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA & the windows I am considering are:

1. Sunrise "sunrise" sliders (I think it may also be called standard; not the Essentials) brown exterior, maple look interior. I would be purchasing them from a local window/door outlet and they would install. I have used them in the past for doors and was satisfied with my purchase but my contractor installed.

2. Marvin Elevate gliders (bronze exterior, pine interior). I would purchase these from a builder supply place. These are the windows I think I can combine casements and sliders. I was also looking at using white interior rather than wood for the basement level windows (would look better there and save some money) but would that be the ultrex/ultrex windows that do not seem to be as good as the wood/ultrex?

Their installation is a lot more expensive so I would use my contractor to install. He's very good and I am confident in his installation but he will probably retire in 5 years or so. I've heard Marvin's customer service is very good but should I worry that in the case of any problems Marvin would call it a contractor issue?

3. Windsor Pinnacle bronze exterior, pine interior sliders from same dealer as the Sunrise windows. I know these are unpopular in this forum but I left it on the list because it's an affordable option for the look I want and the dealer will install for a very reasonable price.

4. Okna 500. I got a price on these from a window place about a year and a half ago. They did not seem to have good options for color combinations. They also sell Softlite. I don't think I can see either of these windows in their showroom but they bring small samples to the house. I will get prices on the Oknas and Softlite but they gives you a much better price if you commit when they give their pitch or shortly thereafter so I won't have them come out until I'm pretty sure about what I want.

I very much appreciate all the helpful info in this forum & thanks in advance for any advice or opinions!

Comments (17)