SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Mutabilis is gone; desperately need advice for replacements

After decades of growing this beloved rose everywhere I lived, I made the decision to let mine go. It's near the front door and the copious dead underwood was all too visible. It would have been impossible for me to cut out without bodily injury and more stamina than I can summon. One advantage is that I can finally grow Reve d'Or, a rose I love but had no room for. Wouldn't you know it, they're sold out everywhere! I also think I can manage two climbers there. I'm considering Charles XII for the second one but am open to any suggestions. It can't be too vigorous because there are roses growing in front of that space, it should rebloom a lot, be healthy of course, and not have vicious thorns. Fragrance is far from my main criterion, although it would be nice to have. These roses will be in a very prominent spot and have to be eye-catching. The area is 15 feet long and about 7 feet wide. Am I too unrealistic to think I can accommodate two roses in that space? I'm willing to trim to keep them manageable. I'd love to hear your ideas for what I consider a very important decision, because these roses will be here to stay. I'm tired of making mistakes and starting over again, especially with climbers, which take longer to bloom. Thank you for any and all suggestions. Ingrid

Comments (23)