SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

The Big C - DH - now what?

Oakley
3 years ago

If you're familiar with this scenario I want you to be blunt. Don't spare my feelings. Not sure what type of C it is but a couple of months ago DH found a smallish bump on the side of his neck, which fastly grew into a noticeable mass. He waited two weeks before calling the doctor just in case it went down, and it took two weeks to get into see the doctor. Antibiotics did nothing and I knew it was cancer. Biopsy was this past Monday, today he got the call.

We don't know the type yet, but he sees an ENT next week and then I have no idea what they do.

I've read all there is to read and without knowing where the cancer is located, or what type, it's too early to figure anything out.

The reason I'm asking you all if you're familiar with a cancer beginning this way, is because DH doesn't ask questions. When he said he's going to an ENT I asked why and he said he didn't know. So I looked it up. That's the way he is. He's great at questioning in court but when it comes to himself? No.

What's worse is he has Heart Failure, Type II Diabetes and has to take insulin every day, and high blood pressure. ALL of that because he stopped taking his diabetes and high blood pressure medicine about 7 years ago even though I was on him constantly. He seriously thought he could exercise it away.

Today I read cancer tretments can cause heart failure or hurt the heart, and I haven't told him that.

He doesn't want the boys to know yet and I understand. That will be a hard one. However, our DIL who lives next door is a cardiatric RN, so that's a plus!

Tell me anything you know as far as what to expect. I'm a pragmatist and realist, I know this is his death sentence.

Comments (110)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm