SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickevette

Ceiling Flashing with C2--What now?

vickevette
16 years ago

Hi:

I'm starting a new thread building on an old post as my "problems" evolve:

First, the synopsis: We decided to paint our entire interior, walls and ceilings. Original color is a yellow-beige. Lighting (and dalight conditions) in the house enhance the yellow, which I do not like. I found C2-Pearl color-and love it--the color, that is. The only off-white I've found, (after much looking including BM, EK, Citron, and Devine, to name a few) that due to a somewhat ethereal pinkish undertone, perfectly cancels the tendency of the house to magnify yellow. Seems C2 Pearl is "the" color for me.

Used the matte on the walls, which turned out great. Used the non-reflective flat on the ceiling, which showed flash marks. By flash marks, I mean, that when shining a halogen light on the ceiling (the room is long, (27'), so you get quite a perspective, you can tell everywhere the roller has been, where it stopped to reload paint, etc., because, even when rolling all the same direction, somehow, each roller track has a different sheen to it than the one next to it. I tried only rolling one direction, tried rolling one coat east to west and the next north to south. Tried blending/smoothing meticulously. Tried getting more paint on the surface, and not overworking it. Tried adding floetrol 1/4 cup per gallon, tried fastidiously to keep a wet edge. Tried 3 different nap lengths on rollers (1/4",1/2", and 3/8").

These efforts somewhat muted the marks, particualrly after drying for a week, and they are not too noticeable in daylight or with the regular room lighting, only with the halogen shoplights I'm using for painting. However, they are there.

When I shine the same lights on the ceilings with the "old" paint, (builder applied 17 years ago,) there are no marks at all, the ceilings are one uniform flawless surface.

I suspected the problems had to do with my lack of experience with painting ceilings, however, another person on this forum, whom I believe is a professional--or at least a very experienced painter, said he had the same issues with C2, and he and his colleagues do not like it for that reason.

I had advice from another professional, that he tried the C2 nonreflective flat, had the same problem on the ceiling, and ended-up using the C2 "ceiling paint," using one quart of water to the gallon of paint, rolling with an 18" roller, and having one of his employees act as a "spotter" to watch as he rolled to monitor the wet edge and any marks. Only then did he get a passable result. The C2 ceiling paint is somewhat of a mystery to me, some say it is somehow different than the non-reflective flat, but according to my retailer is no different. I have e-mailed the manufacturer to get an answer as to the difference between the non-reflective flat, and the ceiling paint, but have not yet heard back from them.

However, the ceiling paint, apparently is not tintable, so could not be made the same color as the walls.

Hence my questions, being a first-time ceiling painter:

1) A friend with painting experience told me that it is impossible to paint a ceiling without flashmarks from a roller. He said my original ceilings must'ave been sprayed (not sprayed and backrolled, just sprayed). So first, am I trying to do the impossible to get a flawless ceiling by rolling? (I heard that when they spray paint, they always roll afterward, they never just leave it sprayed-only.)

2) If I hired a painter would they roll my ceiling, and if they did, would I see the same marks? Is spraying without touching it with a roller the only answer?

3) Is there something else about the builder's original flawless ceiling paint job that cannot be duplicated? Would I still see roller marks if I used a different paint? (I've made four tries to have other brands match the Pearl color, to no avail.)

4) Would primer help?

5) Should I try the one quart of water to the gallon of paint?

6) All you C2 experts: Should I switch to the ceiling paint, and just give up on having walls and ceiling be the same color--if yes, should I add the water.

7) Is an 18' roller a necessity to get a flawless ceiling?

8) Any advice on where to try to match a C2 color? Does their 16 colorant system preclude matching by anyone else, or are the places I've tried just not good at matching?

9) Finally, When trying to get lots of paint on, and using the 1/2" nap roller, I inadvertently got a few roller edge marks that went unnoticed until they were too dry to blend. I would like to remove these, and am thinking I need to sand them out before my next attempt. Any advice on how long to cure before attempting to sand, what grit to use, etc. Or any other ideas on how to fix them? (I already tried adding another coat going in the opposite direction, but they are still visible.)

I'm so frustrated, and have spent so much time, effort and expense trying to make this ceiling right. Anyone who has any advice, please help!

Comments (12)