SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman

Flash of Brilliance (Don't worry, it didn't hurt.)

CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So... I've had this idea swirling around in my head.

I have a U-shaped kitchen, where there's a peninsula dividing it from the dining area on the other side. The width is such that I could drive a car in there. OK, a Cooper or V-dub, but yes, it's wide. 8' or so.

I've been doing things to my kitchen as I actually use it, that work with how I live. It's a luxury not many have -- don't be jealous.

So far, I put another trash pull-out next to the stove. If I actually
cook it will be soup, which has a lot of chopping and too much garbage
to be carrying it back across the kitchen to the trash pull-out next to
the sink.

Last month, I moved my fridge to the opposite side of the French
(pocket) door into the mudroom for more counter/landing space. I found
myself working on only the 24" counter next to the fridge. If I'd
known then what I know now....

Recently I've been thinking about building a small, rolling island because of the width between the sink and opposing wall stove. Plus, I have a lot of cool materials I'd just like to make into something.
Then... it came to me. POOF! Holy Moly. I could take that peninsula out, have a nice long wall of cabinets along the sink wall, and put a nice, practical island (rolling, still) down the middle. The opposite stove wall has cabinets that stretch from the stove through the dining area. I like those. But the island would be a parallel element in the longer, rectangular room.

So, here's my question. What would you do with the pendant lights above the peninsula? I love 'em, but they'd be head-konkers if I just leave them. Raise them? Put the island thing under them when not in use to prevent The Konkers? I'm short, and seldom have guests, so I'm not really concerned about personal injury suits, but am concerned about it looking stupid every time I go into my kitchen.

Sure, it might just be to get espresso, Reese's cups or Cookie Dough, but if that's how I use my kitchen, it's how I use my kitchen! I ultimately want it to look nice.

2nd element that just crossed my mind: My flooring changes because the direction of the joists did, plus the peninsula was an easy demarcation point. What do you think of that?

Thank you for reading yet another one of my novels.
(Please forget that I've always laughed in somewhat-scornful wonder at why people wanted, NEEDED islands. Or why they were such a requisite item. I'm not feeling that, but think it might be nice to open my kitchen up a bit.)

- - - - - Edited to add: - - - - -

I think this whole thing was just a hot flash. Geeze, how do people live with this!?!

- - - - - End edit - - - - -

Comments (8)