SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamiltongardener2

Aging and family

HamiltonGardener
3 years ago

Today I am off to see my grandmother, who I have not seen since the summer although we chat on the phone often. My brother and I are moving her to an accessible suite at her retirement complex.

She is so looking forward to seeing us, and it’s nice that we are available to help her with her move. The moving company was going to charge an arm and a leg (although grandma said that’s ok...her arm and leg don’t work very well anymore anyway!!)

It got me thinking about the thread we discussed the other day, about children, and there were so many people in this thread who said they do not have children, or their children have chosen not to have children. I see my grandmother who has become more dependent on not just the company of her family, but the physical dependence as well. While we are lucky that she still has her mental capabilities, there are many who do not. I see stories of neglect and abuse in some retirement homes or nursing homes...and it is always caught by a child or grandchild who is watching out for their elder relatives well being.

I’ve been thinking about people without children, and the risks or loneliness later in life. I wonder how many elderly people suffer from that loneliness if they don’t have children or don’t have children who live in the same country they do. What about help in caring for yourself in your old age? I know my grandmother was able to get help from her adult grandchildren for physical tasks on a regular basis as she aged in her home. I don’t think she could have been independent for so long after my grandfather was debilitated by Alzheimer’s if it hadn’t been for the support of children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. Even if you save enough money to get yourself into a good retirement home or nursing home when you’re older, what happens if you suffer from neglect or abuse in that nursing home? Will anybody notice?

Comments (57)