Annie Deighnaugh
3 years ago

This week, let's look at some specific locations:

W - Garden

Th - Mountain

Fr - Lake or other

So today, show me a garden.

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

Comments (54)

• eld6161
    3 years ago

A common pathway in my Florida ‘hood.

• jrb451
    3 years ago

The Butchart Gardens, Victoria, BC.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Victorian Walled Garden, Kylemore Abbey, Ireland

• tvq1
    3 years ago

Nasrid Palace Gardens at the Alhambra, Granada Spain

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Little flower garden...back in PA.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

Daughter's veggie garden on it's way the 27th of May last year.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Garden outside my back door

• tvq1
    3 years ago

Ded--that is so pretty! Our yard is still kind of brown and ugly looking--spring can't come soon enough!

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

My old house, garden between house and garage. I miss it so!

• socks
    3 years ago

• hallngarden
    3 years ago

My Garden Lady tending to flowers.

• Lars
    3 years ago

Los Angeles County Arboretum

• jrb451
    3 years ago

Annie, did you see the theme ideas I shared in the Sunday thread?

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

My daughter when she was little in my front flower garden in the hills of KY.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Cottage garden .....and cottage.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

jrb, no I hadn't. I just fetched them now. Thank you. The rhyming is fun!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

My garden.

• kathy_t
    3 years ago

Lost Gardens of Heligan - in England.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

Back when I had the atrium.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

my back yard getaway

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Tvq, my picture was from last spring. We are enjoying dirty snow, mud and nothing green at the moment! Feeling hopeful spring is on the way.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The Lost Gardens of Heligan look fabulous! I'd never heard of them.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

My backyard from a few years ago.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I have never heard of those gardens either, Kathy, and I visited a lot of gardens in England. Can you enlighten us please as to location?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

This is an azalea I planted years ago. It was very small and now I have pruned it back multiple times as it encroaches on the path. This year, I am going to change the path rather than butcher the azalea. It just seems that it wants to grow, grow, grow, so who am I to deny it that pleasure?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Googled the Lost Gardens. They are in Cornwall.

Lost Gardens

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"They are in Cornwall."

I think your link is more useful than your words. To my knowledge, few Americans are familiar with the location of British counties. Do you think it's otherwise?

• kathy_t
    3 years ago

You are right, cyn427, the Lost Gardens of Heligan is in Cornwall. (Yes, Elmer Fudd, Cornwall is such a well-known part of England, that if you only know one county name, it's likely that one.) In 2016 I went on an "English Gardens Tour to Cornwall and Devon" with 11 other women that was led by a local garden center owner. I loved it! Here's another photo from there:

• fran1523
    3 years ago

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I'd expect people would know where somewhere they went is. How about Rutland? Or Herefordshire or Hertfordshire? (taken from a list)

Maybe it's just me. I've had at least 2 dozen visits to the UK, none less than 4 or 5 days and several of several weeks and I've been all over. I couldn't tell you more than a county or two if my life depended on it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know where Cornwall is as I've been there, and Devon and others. But watching Escape to the Country, one gets a familiarity with quite a few counties in the UK. Cornwall especially as I read Rebecca again a month ago, and the edition I had included a short piece about how DuMaurier came across Menabilly, an old mansion she'd seen there which became her inspiration for Manderly.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Elmer, outsideplaying asked for the location, so I gave it to her along with the link. I should have tagged her so as not to invite your snark. ETA: perhaps I will include longitude and latitude, driving directions, etc. next time.

• User
    3 years ago

My grandparents retired to Budleigh Salterton in Devon. I visited them several times over the years. It’s a very pretty place. I know where Cornwall is too.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

To me, it's like using acronyms not universally known. Or describing it as off of one of the national highways with the designation of M and a number. Not immediately useful.

I looked at a map. Certainly for a general audience, I'd describe it as in the far south west of England. There are a lot of current and historical districts in the UK and in other countries not generally known to people from other places.

• User
    3 years ago

How much more precise than England and Cornwall does one have to be?

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Same, Elmer. But I do know where Cornwall is as well as a couple other counties that seemed to have stuck. It turns out I actually attended a wedding near St Austell and stayed in Fowey which isn’t that far away. The garden I visited near there was called The Eden Project. Had I known about this one I would have tried to visit.

• sloedjinn
    3 years ago

Not my garden, but Grant Park in Chicago, not far from where I live. This is a decorated tree put up by the Bulgarian American Association of Chicago to celebrate Baba Marta, wishing health and happiness to friends and family.

They have done this a couple of years now. It’s so cheerful at a time when everything seems muddy, gray, and brown.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"perhaps I will include longitude and latitude"

Only if you don't want to acknowledge my suggestion.

Hey, remember the restaurant that finally got its third Michelin Star (the maximum)? Right on the edge of the Bois? But it only kept it for 5 or 6 years. Remember how awesome it was? Several people I know, know exactly what I'm talking about. And where it is. I don't assume others do and know none of you do, so mentioning it that way isn't useful. All the same, it was a fantastic restaurant and I've heard it's on its way back up. You should stop by there sometime if you can.

• User
    3 years ago

I would think you are talking about Marc Veyrat and his restaurant, La Maison des Bois.

If you said Manigod or Haute-Savoie, France it would be very easy to know (if that is, in fact, what you meant.) An exact location would not be needed, just the area and country. A link would make it super easy.

• User
    3 years ago

Elmer, I am finding this a very strange conversation.

Kathy posted a lovely photo captioned Lost Gardens of Heligan - in England.

She was asked where that was and the reply was Cornwall. The reply from cyn was accompanied by a link.

Therefore, we know it is the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall, England. Not that complicated.

Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy 😀

You really do make me laugh.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Why is it I get the impression that Elmer's problem is *Elmer* didn't know where Cornwall was. Apparently googling it was too much effort, but carping at someone else for not being more specific wasn't.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Personally, if I don't know where somewhere is I look it up, rather than proudly broadcasting my geographical failings. If one never sees these place names how is one going to learn? Same with anything I read here and don't follow. It's more educational for me and I can Google faster than I can type out a question which requires someone else to put in the effort to answer.

btw - don't you get Poldark in the US? Also a lot of Cornish miners went to California in the Gold Rush. I'm pretty sure people living near the Empire Mine, Grass Valley know where Cornwall is. They still serve pasties there. There are people with Cornish ancestry all over the US.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    3 years ago

Try to ignore Elmer, maybe he'll go away!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I hope not. I sometimes find myself agreeing with aspects of what he says and it's good to hear robust alternative views. I also admire his tenacity in some threads.

• User
    3 years ago

For some reason, he’s begging for validation. It doesn’t hurt to be nice to him.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Back to the subject.... an accidental garden of self sown Campanula portenschlagiana.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

What I appreciate is the link -- that makes it easy for anyone who cares to learn more, to learn more. So thank you, cyn427, your response was entirely appropriate.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

I, too, appreciate the link. The pictures are great and I just learned that the Gardens reopened for the year just yesterday! Thanks.