SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snownrain

Aprilaire 800 odor + taking forever

G G
3 years ago

I got an Aprilaire 800 beginning of Feb from & installed by HVAC comp. The owner (master HVAC 30+ yrs) was supposed to do it but was on another job. The guy who did has been in the businesses for 20 some years, hadn't put one of these in for a long time, he kept looking at install manual. Owner stopped by at the end to check everything over. The thing ran for 3 days & humidity went from 25 to 17. He shut off my hot water tank & I didnt realize it so no hot water over weekend. I turned it down to 1 (to quit running) & the next day my humidity was UP to 26. Owner came made adjustment & same thing. Says it needs 72 hrs to get humidity to correct level. So for a month now & seeing him about 6 times now, banging noises, smell, etc he has changed a pin, said my water was to clean & got a different canister (with salt), humidifier & furnace blew the electric - so had no heat thru the night. I googled & found noise was water hammer & the other the furnace flexing from temp change of steam going thru. He had insisted none of this was caused by his work/ install, just that i had never noticed it before!! ( he did do adjustments to resolve) He said he sells these all the time & had one himself., which now I don't believe cause he appears clueless as this is still not working properly. I think he just wanted the $$. If he sells/installs so many then he should have known about the water in " my area" being to clean. I told him just remove it & install a new one " can't Aprilaire makes me get on phone with them & trouble shoot can't just get a new one". After running over 24hrs (& past 2 days a lot of rain) it shows 19% ( down from 22 yesterday). He mentioned something about switching the amp from 15 to 20 in panel box. My 3 story townhouse is 9 yrs old, 2420 sq ft & voltage for Aprilaire is running off 110v, ( he said is fine), to install the 240 would mean $$$ , hiring an electrician & tearing up ceiling & re drywall+ paint etc 40' from furnace room to breaker panel. When it runs after an hour, the black hose w/steam to furnace gets hot, & after 2 hrs shuts off - which is correct, then hose cools down.

The smell from this is bad, its an odor of sauerkraut, old dirty socks,& last nite I smelled an added smell of rubber/oil chemical . Not good, its ran enough I would think at this point the smell should be burned off? If this is the norm for anyone please advise!!! I don't want to breath this & its probably toxic for my pets. I'm already a month in with this, if its an ongoing smell & before it gets to late I want to return.

I'm questioning his ability for this product, & overall knowledge period. When he became defensive about noises that he didn't "cause" , then I suggested water hammer, he made adjustments to fix' , so that was the problem- probably not enough water flowing to machine now lol! I read this can work off 110amp but don't know if it is enough for my house (3 story th, 2420 sq', 9 yrs old), I certainly do not want to spend another $1000+ for electrician & drywall repairs to put in 220 or 240amp (forgot). I live in the nations richest county Loudoun Va(not by choice- nor am i rich) so when I say $1k, that's probably low.

Although he's willing to make it right, the constant visits, the smell, etc. is annoying. I'm scared what my electric bill will be, I think this unit is defective, but more so needs the higher voltage. If there is such a thing as returning it for full refund after 30 days, I'm now at 26 days with "trying" to get it to work. If I can return, then I'll have holes left all over furnace walls, He says he can't get a new unit, Aprilaire makes them do this. The next fix would be replace the electrical board & continue from there. I don't want to proceed by deconstructing & rebuilding the thing. It was $1200, it should work, if not after trying a few things replace it. Summer is close, so it will be shut off & then, in fall I have to play this again? (sorry venting now)

Any suggestions?

Is this normal - 3 days to get house humidity up? (its never even got to 35%)

Smell?

Running constantly gonna burn out my blower?

No exchange for a new machine?

Is there a better humidifier?

Is electric voltage the true problem & I'll just use a boatload $$$ of electric to get this to work?

Is there a better steam heat whole house humidifier that is out there? ( without requiring the higher electric amps)

Thank you for any help!

Comment