SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingfish

Pet-related flooring question

flamingfish
8 years ago

Hi! Newbie delurking, with what will probably be the first of many questions. Nice to sort of meet you all!

I have a 15' wide rowhouse. The back part is the kitchen and dining area (about 11' x 15'). Part of the dining area is visible from the front door through an open doorway. Currently I have hardwood in the DR matching the floor in the rest of the house. The kitchen, which is horrendous and needs to be nuked from orbit, has layers of crappy vinyl.

I'm working up the nerve to redo the kitchen (did I mention it's orange?), in the course of which I will also replace the hardwood in the DR. It's damaged from a water leak from the bathtub above (fixed), water leaking in the back door (to be fixed), and, uh, not-water leaking from PsychoKitty, who has chosen to mark her territory in the DR (unfixable). (Yes, she has been to the vet many times and we're sure the problem is behavioral, not medical.) I'm assuming that replacing the subfloor as well as the boards will take care of whatever smell remains. (Yes, I have used every enzyme and non-enzyme cleaner on the market.) The question is what the replacement floor should be.

If the cat were not a factor, I would unquestionably use hardwood in the DR, maybe even in the kitchen. However, I'm loyal to the cat despite her drawbacks, so she's staying. I have little faith that her behavior will change. She's middle-aged, so figure she'll be around maybe another 8 years.

I've been thinking porcelain tile, and from what I've read here, think that I'll need epoxy grout, right? I don't love the look of tile in my DR (although it would really be more of an eat-in kitchen, then), but I'm trying to get used to it. I'm in one of 16 identical houses, and none of my neighbors has tile in the DR part. I think it would negatively affect the resale value, a bit, but I'm planning to stay indefinitely so I don't care that much.

Vinyl tiles and laminate are out for the same reason as hardwood: they have cracks that would let cat pee soak through and stay forever.

It just occurred to me recently that I could put in sheet vinyl, live with that until PsychoKitty goes to the Great Scratching Post in the Sky, and then put down hardwood. I looked on line at Marmoleum, but to me it looks like, well, linoleum. Not the look I want.

So, any thoughts? Sheet vinyl for the duration, or porcelain tile for the long haul? Any other ideas? I'm planning to do the kitchen with white or gray painted cabinets, soapstone counters (if I can swing it), and white appliances. For tile, I think I'd want something that looked like slate, but with more of the gray/blue/greenish tones than the rust tones.

Thanks!

Comments (25)