SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

FOTESS March Swap: It’s a GREEN Thing

ruthz
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

FOTESS March Swap: It’s a GREEN Thing

You must be a member of this group Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps (FOTESS) in order to participate. If you are interested in joining, check with Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) about the requirements.

When March rolls around , I always think of GREEN. Green beer, green cabbage, green shamrocks, wearing of green, Leprechaun’s and Hello Spring, etc..

For this swap let’s share "Green Tips" and "Green Information" for “Going Green”.

Going green means embracing a way of life that helps preserve the environment by reducing, reusing, and recycling items.

We'll just have a chatty month about the silly green stuff and the important green stuff.

For the swap part you will send your partner,

1. A green thing/item. Anything green in color that you think your partner will like.

2. Two packs of edible landscaping seeds

Pretty enough to plant in the front yard landscape and yummy enough to cook for dinner.

Buying local or growing our food is a good way to contribute to going green, so edible landscaping has become very popular.

Please post when you mail and when you receive.

And of course there will be bingo.

Comments (175)

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

# 3

The name of the peach tree is SPRING WHITE

The actual name may be SPRING SNOW WHITE

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Guess again on this one,

Emily and Annie, your on the right track as you both got white correct

3. The name of the peach tree is _ _ _ _ _ _/White (per my sister in law)

The actual name may be _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ /White

Bingo for today,

Saint Patrick’s Day

Daylight savings

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Green Elephant Plant Swap First Saturday in March.

Q

Comments (92)
    I wish I had more time to stick around, but we wanted to get up to Cougar Mountan before it got to busy. Thanks to Jim for the wonderful bamboo, its beautiful *G* I sat the bag up to fill with water and saw a little 1/2" new culm coming up, so tomorrow I'll plant the two clumps. Thnks to Teresa for the ferns, and Shilpa for the day lillies. As my trees and bamboo grows up taller, and I get more shade I'll have lots of sun loving plants to trade as time goes by. Kendal *we made it up to the falls in good time, and got out just as a rush of people with their kids started up*
    ...See More

New: OBF - March Swap: Our Green Garden Friends

Q

Comments (86)
    Hi All, Not much going one here, just work, cleaning, etc. boring stuff. It will be exciting this week though. I'm going to a beer tasting/education on Tues. I have a web site meeting on Thurs. On Friday I'm going to Gardenscape which is the Rochester garden show I attend every year. It is a really nice one! I will also be working it too for the Rock Garden Society. Dottie, Congrats on the grandson! Lol, about getting over excited about the sprouts. Lettuce, broccoli family plants, and violas are very tough and can handle light freezes when they are babies. So you can take the lids off, but if it is going to dip really low like you said, you will need to re-cap them. Marie, I'm glad to hear of the good news!! Do we all have the wrong address now? lol. Your bloom is gorgeous! 4 years, you are a patient woman. Jeanne, Are those pics of flowers blooming now with your garden critters? If so I'm very jealous! Here's my stab at Carol's questions. 1. I have a statue overlooking my garden what is it ? gargoyle - I have one out front for Gary so I'll guess the same 2. I have several statues and faces of my favorite animal in my gardens what is it any how many do I have ? Wolves 10 3. my no tresspassing sign says violaters will be shot, survivors will be _____ ______? Shot Again 4. a critter climbs my fence and eats my cat food every night. what is it ? Raccoon 5. I have a critter key holder in my garden. what is the critter ? Frog 6. I have 9 windchimes 4 are ? butterflies 7. 1 is wolf 8.1. is ? frog 9 1 is ? abstract Talk to you all later, Remy
    ...See More

OBF March Swap--All About The Green!

Q

Comments (150)
    Melinda ... THANK YOU ever so much for the wonderful prize package! I just LOVE the sweet note card with the praying mantis on ... the 'this'll BUG me if I forget it note pad - super super cute! love it! and the 'happiness must be grown in ones own garden' note cards - LOVE them! and WOW what a fantastic selection of GREEN seeds! Basil - bush spicy globe, Eggplant - Green Knight Hybrid, Mustard - Florida Broad Leaf and Spinach - Bloomsdale Long Standing ... LOVE all the GREENS! THANK YOU again Melinda for a FUN month and fantastic package.
    ...See More

FOTESS: MARCH 2022 - Spring Clean Up and Green Up

Q

Comments (122)
    I was outside planting seeds and checked mailbox before coming in. Wow it must be Christmas. Look what Susan sent. I love all of it. I've never grown Acidanthera before, but will definitely get these planted tomorrow. I love black eyed susan vine but it never makes seeds for me so I don't usually have any. And all the other stuff will really come in handy with my planting. Thank you so much.
    ...See More
  • gardengirl37232
    3 years ago
    1. Indian white

Indian free white

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Emily, you must have it correct. I am not finding any other peaches.....with white....that fit. Good work!!

Annie

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

heidi you are glowing. i went with the girls and almost bought a kitchen towel, even had it in my cart but decided you needed that polka dot scarf instead. glad you liked it, will also go well with the poncho.

still on the road. love florida.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good job Emily. My SIL said it is an Indian White peach tree, but I can't find info on that exact name. So I'm thinking it's maybe an Indian Free White. It has made a few peaches the last couple of years but critters get them while they are still small so I'm not sure what the fruit is like.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

1. What is my all time favorite song with the word sun or sunny in the title? (Children of the Sun by Billy Thorpe) Emily 1 point

2. What did I get a picture of blooming in the yard today? (peach tree) Emily 1 point

3. The name of the peach tree is _ _ _ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ (per my sister in law)(Indian White)

The actual name may be _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ (Indian Free White) Emily 2 points

4. My beautiful yellow _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is starting to bloom today. (Aquilegia chrysantha) Emily 2 points.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My SIL also gave me some daylily's from the farm. I think they are 'Rajah'

A few other things that grew on grandpa's farm.

1 point per each correct word on these.

5. _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _/_ _ _ _ _ , probably _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _.

6. A couple of _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ .

7. A couple of _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ .

8. And I really loved the _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

9. But my favorite as a child was the _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ .

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

6. red roses

7. white roses

8. white hydrangea snowball

9. red honeycrisp apple

ruthz thanked pinkiris
  • gardengirl37232
    3 years ago
    1. Fig trees

2. Apple trees

ruthz thanked gardengirl37232
  • sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Ruth, I received your package today. Thank you so much. I have been a bit down lately because it's getting very close to when my husband passed away last year. What a year it has been - so much stress and isolation and so much ahead of me once things get moving along better. I have a list a mile long and just thinking about it is a lot of stress also. I need to get my French doors replaced and it has been 2 1/2 weeks since they came out to take a look at them. I still need the cost and when they can do it. Waiting even longer to get someone out to clean the chimney. Those are not major things, but they were things I thought I could get taken care of fairly quickly - no, didn't work out that way.

Anyway, here is my lovely package from Ruth: Two packages of Artichoke Parmesan Dip and Cheeseball Mix (Sounds delicious!), Artichoke seeds - I've never grown them and look forward to trying it, Jing Orange Okra seeds, and Scarlet Emperor Runner Bean seeds. She also sent a lovely serving set to use for the Artichoke Mix and a chocolate bar that has Vietnamese chocolate as the main ingredient. How interesting - never knew there was a special chocolate from Vietnam. Thanks so much, Ruth. Very thoughtful and unique items!

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello Spring.

And it's starting off beautifully here, cool and sunny.

Jeanne, hope you'll enjoy your package. Sorry you've been feeling down. Maybe the dark chocolate will help as research shows consuming chocolate may help improve your mood.

I tried to pick plants that would look pretty growing in the yard and be edible. I'm excited about this artichoke. I love how the plant looks and also the flowers, but I've never been able to get flowers or artichokes. This new one supposed to be an easier-to-grow artichoke.

Bingo words for Friday and today.

lamb

Fairy

lion

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

5. Native /_ _ _ _/trees, probably _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _.

6. A couple of fig trees .

7. A couple of apple trees .

8. And I really loved the white /flowering /_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

9. But my favorite as a child was the _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ /_ _ _ _ _ .

Good guesses

Everyone guess again

Jayeanne 1 point

Emily 4 points + 3 points

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

#8 White Nectarine Standard

ruthz thanked canyonwind
  • gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

9. Old blackberry canes

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

8. White flowering cherries

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

5. Native wild trees, probably persimmon tree

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

updated

5. Native /plum/trees, probably Chickasaw /plum.

6. A couple of fig trees .

7. A couple of apple trees .

8. And I really loved the white /flowering /dogwoods.

9. But my favorite as a child was the big /strawberry /patch.

Good guesses

Everyone guess again

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Happy sunny Sunday everyone.

bingo words

Shamrock

Soda bread

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

5. Native plum trees, probably Chickasaw plum

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

8. White flowering magnolia

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

9. Big strawberry patch

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awesome guesses Emily. Only one answer left.

I'm calling this game with Emily the winner.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bingo word

vernal equinox

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Heidi, I got my wonderful package today. You really overdid it, but I love and appreciate everything. Even came packaged like a present. Can't wait to read the book. And love your sense of humor. Caused a chuckle that I needed today. Thank you so much.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bingo word

Aquamarine

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Greens that I planted after our mid February freeze.

Last night was stormy with a lot rain. Should help these grow.

What fertilizer do y'all use on your greens? Hoping to get seeds from this one as they are hard to find.

Crawford lettuce

Green Stem Shanghai Pak Choi (need to thin, but waiting until it's a little bigger)

Yedikule Lettuce

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

Wow. been gone a long time and missed a lot.

Ruth your Irisies are amazing. I have planted some i received from nancy years back and they have yet to flower, I also received some in a swap and haven't seen those yet either. This year I added a ton of mulch (recall the chip drop story) and they seem to be creeping up. you sure have a lot of activity in your yard compared to mine even though we are neighbors.

We got back from FLorida on Sunday morning and since we had rented and RV we cleaned it and got it ready to return.. As soon as I sat down, my younger ones coach reminded us that we had a soccer game at 530. geez louise. we could have skipped but i thought it be best to get out and about and back to normal as soon as possible after being in an RV for 9 days. yes 9!

we had quite the adventure where initially we had door problems where when we closed the door the stairs went down instead of up, then we couldn't turn on the water because we didn't know how and neither did the RV owner. we lost a lot of time troubleshooting. we made it down to Orlando really late, and then couldnt get daily park ticket so ended up buying seasons passes. I WILL BE GOING BACK TO FLORIDA!!!!

we enjoyed Universal Studios, the RV parks and all the little doggies, and most important the weather and palm trees!!! it was simply stunning.

on our way back my husband decided to stop in Destin to show me the beach, well on our way down there a truck side swiped us and we lost our side mirror and we tried to get that repaired and wasted a ton of time and it never happened. we drove all the way back without a side mirror, luckily its a new RV and came with side cameras. well we made it to the beach after quiet hours and woke up just in time for check out. we paid $200 for a beach site and didn't get to see the beach, but my husband ended up finding us a public beach to visit right before we hit the road back home. all in all it was an exhausting but super fun trip and yes i still have motion sickness and feel like i am rocking in the RV.

Getting ready for April, it will be about Earth Day again...

Oh I almost forgot! I received my awesome package from Jeanne when i came back, the cat sitter had brought it in for me. already put the bamboo potpourri in my new closet. oh i need to post my closet update... that ladies, is another story for another day.

also just checked my bingo words and I am soooooooo close.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Urooj, sounds like you had quite an adventure in the RV. $200. a night for a site. Wow, we've never paid that much but we've never camped on the beach. I wanted to go camp on the beach in Texas but after listening to some horrid sand sandwich and sand in eggs stories, I changed my mind. Maybe just close to the beach. Glad you had fun. We haven't been to Florida in a long time.

Bingo word

Narcissus

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great "GREEN" packages everyone.

Amy sends to Annie............Received

Jayeanne sends to Amy......Received

Jeanne sends to Urooj........Received

Heidi sends to Ruth..............Received

Annie send to Emily..............Received

Emily sends to Margo..........Received

Margo sends to Jayeanne.....Received

Urooj sends to Heidi...............Received

Ruth sends to Jeanne.............Received

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    3 years ago

Ruth, Psychology of a package.... I've watched too many youtube videos of people stealing things off the porch. I figure if I wrap it up so it doesn't look like electronics or medical equipment they might not think it's worth stealing. Then I have to make sure it doesn't look like a bomb and pretty paper keeps it out of that category!

I planted seeds outside (direct sow) when it was nice and I knew they wouldn't pop right up. I looked out of the dining room window and it looked like a softball-sized mass of yellow-white seedlings about the size of pumpkins or squash. I thought maybe I dropped them. Then my daughter told me she threw her Ramen Noodles there. I'm going to buy her a little hand shovel to bury the food she wants to compost! LOL Heidi

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Heidi, good idea on the packaging.

I feel sleep deprived this morning. Storms all night long and the thunder kept waking me up. Could have been worse. There was a possibility of tornados and large hail. Thank goodness we didn't get any. Worked in the yard all day yesterday. Looks like I lost about half the iris we put in 2019 bed we built. All the brugmansia's and most of the stuff in the makeshift greenhouse seems to be dead. No yard work today. Everything is way too soggy and wet.

I'm sure some of you already have bingo but haven't called it.

Last two bingo words

Palm Sunday

Spring

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

BINGO with Palm Sunday

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

Congratulations, Annie!

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

annie beat me too it. good job. throw some confetti in there for me Ruth.

i didn't know sites on the sand existed either. we were a few RV's down but we decided to pull up to the front to exit and they were literally on the beach no joke. and yes there was sand everywhere everywhere even the little bit we went to see.

heidi lets see if the Ramen grows new Ramen... It shouldn't be considered food but my kids love that stuff too. we need a photo of you in your poncho.

• smitties
    3 years ago

Darn, early bird gets the worm. I missed out on winning Bingo too. Spring was my last word. Congrats Annie.

Ruth, looks like that weather is headed this way with high winds all night. We are surrounded by trees so that makes me so nervous.

Thanks for hosting this month. It sure was a lot of fun. Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Palm Sunday and Spring would have made Bingo for me, but Congratulations, Annie on your win!

• amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Congratulations Annie!!!

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

I posted a picture of the full bush on the March OBF, but here is a close up of one of the blossoms. The flowers look 99% green right now so I couldn't resist sharing a picture for March. Soon they will all be white snowballs. You can see the portion turning white here.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Congratulations to Emily and Annie.

Prizes have been mailed, and that pretty much wraps up this month.

I learned some new composting things from Annie. I go thru my junk mail now and compost instead of recycle. I am still trying to figure out how I can easily save the paper towels for composting. Since the covid thing started I pretty much always use paper towels for drying my hands. The only thing I can think to do is keep a bag of some kind in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Jeanne, we never had one but mother always loved the white snowball bushes.

Thanks to everyone who joined in this month, and feel free to keep posting your GREEN ideas/practices. Love all the pictures too.

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Ruth, thank you for a fun green thing month......

RE: saving paper towels. I am always using in the kitchen/around the house...so, I rip them up and throw them in a metal container that I keep on the kitchen counter. The coffee grounds, scrap veggie stuff/whatever go in the container too. I do dump in my compost bins more than once a day. Last night, I was cleaning out my two kitchen junk drawers. Yes, most of the drawer went in to my metal container....lots of paper stuff. Slow Friday night for me LOL!!!! My sister bought a metal container (with lid) for this very purpose on Amazon, to keep by her kitchen sink. It is to small for me.

Happy weekend FOTESSERS....Enjoy more March Madness (basketball). Love March Madness!!

Annie

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Come on FOTESSERS, we need hosts for the months of June, July and August. Let's fill up those months. Who has never hosted?????? Nicole (bluee), have you ever hosted? Give it a go....just have fun with it.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6007710/fotess-hostess-sign-ups-for-2021#n=12

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Thanks for posting the reminder about us needing hostesses later in the year, Annie.

Annie and Jayeanne are going to be helping me as we continue on with FOTESS. I have lots on my agenda and I barely keep up now - so their help is really appreciated and I also appreciate everyone who takes on the task of being hostess throughout the year. You make the months such fun and what creative members we have!

I hope no one had problems with the bad storms this past week. We got a few times with more wind than usual and hard rain, but it's okay here.

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

Ruth ... loved the green month! Congrats to Emily and Annie!

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

i will post April asap. thanks for a great month Ruth!

i feel bad for not gardening yet this season. totally disconnected. did offer some seeds to some newbies in the area so im taking that as a win.

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jeanne!

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Jeanne, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Enjoy, have fun and be happy. It is just another number!!!!

Annie

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

FOTESS APRIL is posted! signups welcome!!!! please tell me about typos.... i tend to miss them....

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

Ruth, I got my prize today. I loved it! Can't wait to try some of the ideas. Thank you so much and thank you for such a fun month and being such a terrific hostess!

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Ruth, I am behind...brought in yesterdays mail a couple of hours ago!! I received my prize........very, very interesting...."Clean and Green", the guide to Nontoxic and Environmentally Safe Housekeeping. My buddies and I have been going through the book. Each of us are choosing a few of the "recipes" to try out....baking soda and lemon spray (air freshener) and a carpet cleaner are first on my list. LOVE this!!

Thank you so much!! Enjoy your birthday!!

Annie