SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Changes this year -- good and bad

mxk3 z5b_MI
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Well, my last horse passed away recently. He was my favorite of the three. But, even though I miss him and enjoyed the horses while they were here, I don't miss caring for them on a daily basis. Barn chores are good mindless labor after a long day at work and I enjoyed being out there with them, but cleaning stalls is a stinky mess, and it's not fun trudging out there to feed before the sun rises so I can get to work on time, especially in the rain and cold.

Anyway, now that I'm sans horse, I get the pole barn to myself! I'm in the process of cleaning and organizing, and we'll be moving contents from our shed into the barn, and I've already hired a company to demolish the shed. I don't know why the other owner put up a shed when he had a giant pole barn; the only thing I can think of is the shed was there before the barn. It's not in great shape, and cost to fix leaky roof is as much as demo cost, not including other repairs that are needed. But, DH didn't want to get rid of it because the birds get into the pole barn and sh*t all over everything (back doors always open so the horses could go in and out as they pleased). Birds are messy messy MESSY! Now that we can close up the doors we won't have that problem. Anyway, demo day can't come soon enough - I am really looking forward to having that eyesore gone! There's a ton of room in the barn, it will be nice to have everything in one place and easy access. It does need a good wash-down after all the horse supplies/hay are moved out -- a good power-washing should take care of all the bird sh*t on the walls :0( but not a difficult task with the power washer.

Also would like to have the pasture fencing removed, but that's not in the budget right now. It's older and not in great shape -- we keep up on repairs, but the old wooden style fencing eventually rots out. Well, at least I now have a demo company to call for that sort of job!

Now that the animals are gone, I can plant fruit trees along the south side of the barn, which is a much better location than out in the vegetable garden because the barn will block the harsh winter winds coming from the north, that should help with bud kill on peaches, apricots, etc. I'm also going to re-purpose the very large water trough as a raised bed for strawberries. I've wanted to grow strawberries for a while now but haven't because I don't want to have to crouch down to harvest, so this will solve the problem. Not sure if I'm going to leave it next to the barn or move it to the vegetable garden. The benefit of leaving it where it is is there's a water pump nearby, but the downside is I'll have to protect the plants from the animals (the vegetable plot is surrounded by chicken wire overlayed onto fencing). So looking forward to hopefully more fruit, if I can get the stuff to grow well.

So yea - these will be good changes. An adjustment to not having those magnificent creatures around anymore, but in the long run I'll have better use of my property, and it will be better for us.

Comments (15)