last modified: 3 years ago

and here is Vincent Van Leg - Gogh

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone, and aok? I think you are right. LOL Look at those

sweet little ones!

• salonva
    3 years ago

These are particularly wonderful today and I echo @Uptown Gal-Thanks everyone!

• buccos4vr
    3 years ago

Susanwv

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

Annie,I see them coming at me.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

dedtired....look again...

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    3 years ago

Teacher: What is a synonym?
    Student: A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Ded, it’s both. As you keeping looking it changes.

• liira55
    3 years ago

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I see the lady facing the lake and the horse facing the camera. It does not change for me.

• HU-178658043
    3 years ago

Horse is definitely facing the camera as evidenced by its left rear leg.

• User
    3 years ago

Generally, one is taught to lead a horse on the horses left side. One usually mounts from that side, as well.

Saying that, a horse should allow you to mount from either side. Good practice, and good for the back muscles😀

• User
    3 years ago

One thought:

Mounting a Horse: Why We Mount And Lead on the Left.

Mounting a horse: Why do we mount and lead horses on the left? Is this just because horse training has always done it this way? Tradition? Style? Habit?

Actually, it turns out that this time-honored way of mounting and leading horses has some science behind it.

Previous research has shown that a horse’s left eye is the 'rapid-reaction' eye: A frightening stimulus presented to a horse’s left eye will produce a stronger and faster flight reaction than if it presented to the right eye.

It turns out that this affects how horses react to handling as well. Researchers trained horses on a series of tasks. One group was trained predominantly on the left and another group was trained equally on either side. These tasks required them to interact with people in a variety of situations.

The researchers found that most horses, regardless of how they were handled, favored their left eye and wanted to keep people in their left line of vision. You may have noticed this when trying to longe your horse. Going left is fine, going right is spooky. Early horse trainers probably noticed this, and incorporated leading and mounting horses from the left as part of good horse training practice. July 2009 Animal Cognition

© Denise Cummins, PhD January 2009

• Rusty
    3 years ago

The horse and the girl are facing each other, look at the horse's left hind leg and its hooves, and the girl's feet.

Rusty

• Angela Id
    3 years ago

• User
    3 years ago

I see the lady facing the lake and the horse facing the camera.

Elizabeth, that’s probably it ! She is trying to get him to drink, and he’s saying “Neigh, you can’t make me.”

There’s an old saying about that. 😂

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have looked and looked and looked again and I've seen it all ways...facing each other, coming and going.

But I suspect they are both walking to the camera...because the horses forelegs are closer together, the hind, further apart.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

I went to the bottom of the pic and then slowly scanned up... then you can see the difference. at least I did.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I don't see how it can be any other way, but them both walking away from me. Her ponytail is on the back of her head, his tail is facing me. I don't see any confusion.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jasdip, if you look at her that she's looking more to her right, then her bun is on the back of her head and you're seeing it more from the side. If you picture the tail on the far side of the horse then it's definitely walking toward you.

• chisue
    3 years ago

If we could see her feet (obscured) I think we'd see heels, not toes.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

That is why you can’t!

• olychick
    3 years ago

If you look at her knees, they definitely look like knees from the back rather than from the front to me. All the other body parts I can see either way, including the horse.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Her elbows are clearly bent holding the leash so she's walking away.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

It's definitely one of the two.

• User
    3 years ago

To me, they both look like they are walking towards the camera.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

The woman is going one way and the horse is going the other.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Haha

• whistle_b
    3 years ago

I can see both depending on which device I'm on. PC coming toward me,Chrome Book going away! These things drive me nuts!!!

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

They are coming. If they were going she is on the wrong side of the horse plus the tail position is all wrong for going. Knees (the horses) also hint at coming.

That said there are exceptions to leading on left. Pretty hard to lead 2,3 or more horses all on one side.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

Roxsol, I think Dr Cummins was not considering history when she came up with this theory.

Most people are right handed. As a consequence, they would (if they were to do so) wear a sword scabbard on their left hip as the sword cannot be drawn out if the scabbard is on the right hip. Now imagine trying to mount a horse from the right with a scabbard on your left hip.

• User
    3 years ago

Roxsol, I think Dr Cummins was not considering history when she came up with this theory.

I agree, colleenoz. I have read that before (the sword thing) and it makes sense.

It is interesting though, that a horse (at least in my experience) seems to favour their left side. Hmm, maybe it just seems that way as I like to use my right hand for leading. Anyway, one exception that I know of with dismounting is that ropers pretty much use the right side of the horse as it is the quickest way to get to whatever has been roped and nobody gets tangled up!

eta Wildchild, I agree with you about the knees/legs. That horse looks like he is walking towards the camera. It’s a nice photo :)

• User
    3 years ago

Okay, I have just had a conversation with my daughter who is a farrier. She has informed me that horses are right sided and left sided, just like people. In her experience most horses have a preferred side, shown by leg muscles, hoof wear and shoe wear. She feels it’s an equal split.

She did say, most of the horses she has worked on have been trained to be handled predominantly on the left side. She likes when people have worked with them to be as comfortable as possible from any side, especially the underneath side :)

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I think most horses may just be conditioned to favor us approaching them on the left side because that is the way it is done. To horse what is familiar and the norm is perceived as safe. A horse that feels safe and secure is a relaxed horse. Come to think of it, I notice that many horse buddies when facing each other do tend to lean their necks on the left of each other. Like this example.

• woodrose
    3 years ago

I agree with Wildchild2x2. Anyone who has experience with horses will tell you that the horse and the girl are facing toward the camera.