SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Exciting day....

amylou321
3 years ago

So me and SO were fast asleep as we both work nights. It was about 2 pm when our dogs started barking. And it was an urgent "hey get up NOW something is WRONG" bark, not the normal "the UPS guy is here" bark.
So I get up and fly through the house,past all windows to the kitchen door and open it to see a fire truck in my yard, and a fireman with a little hand tank spraying my grass, which is burning. I turn around to get SO, who is already up and in the yard, having went through the front door to get the hose to help with the fire. I check to make sure that the fire is not near my dogs or putting them in danger and its not. They can see it but its not near them. Whew.
I follow the trail of blackened grass with my eyes to see where it is coming from. My neighbor. I have one neighbor that I can see. Her yard is black and the woods bordering both our properties are also on fire. There are fire trucks in her yard and a dozen or more fire fighters containing the fire,which is not out of control, just kind of smoldering with some large flames here and there. So of course I run down the hill to her house to check on her. She is a widow in her 80s. She is sitting on her back porch. She runs and gives me a hug, and tells me she is SO SORRY! Apparently she was burning some paper in her fire barrel, went inside for something and when she came back out everything was up in flames. Luckily there was no damage to her house or her. She burns things a lot in her fire barrel. I see her out there burning all the time. I imagine she will not be doing it anymore. Her grandson came later he told my SO that he will be coming back and hauling that fire barrel off. SO told him that he would take it. So tommorow when is cooled off he is going to go down there and get it and bring it to our house.
At least my grass will grow back beautifully green in a few weeks. She felt so bad. Apparently it went all the way back to another property way back in the woods that the owners JUST built a brand new home on. But their home didn't sustain any damage either. Just some burned grass and trees.
I am glad I didn't have to work tonight. I keep peeking out the windows to scan for random forgotten flames somewhere.....

Comments (29)