SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_harvey

please help with kitchen renovation and adding an island

Since I've already tried to type up this post several times and keep getting interrupted I'm going to go ahead and share the Floorplans I've created and hopefully get more time to fully explain over time. Important points to make is that since my husband passed in end of 2019 I've been trying to make repairs and updates to this 1973 home we have owned for past 9 years. If anything were to happen to me the house would be my college aged son's responsibility or if once things settle down and I decide to move, this house would need these things done in order to sell. There was always mildew in the guest bath and the sub bases of the kitchen cabinets was literally crumbling in one spot so I finally had the whole house mold tested. Two separate areas in the house had long time small leaks. My homeowners insurance would not help pay for anything so any repairs are coming out of small life insurance. (Note the home insurance denied the claim but then turned around later and required proof of repairs by a set date or they were not going to renew my policy! ) My point is though that I'm trying not spend unnecessarily but not quite cheaply either. Things should be done matching or only slightly increasing the value of the rest of the house. In the guest bath I replaced a 9" deep cast iron tub with a 19" deep Kohler acrylic tub because of my fibromyalgia and the benefits of short soaks. I spent money on the thermostatic control and hand held sprayer on an ADA compliant grab bar not just for me but thinking families (and dogs, lol). The 12x24 lotus white wall tiles running vertical to add height to 8` ceilings were very transitional and affordable of matt finish while the 12" stripe of 1x1 accent tiles run horizontal brought in soft earth colors which are easier to change decor with.
So when it comes to the kitchen, knocking out the wall between the living room and kitchen and putting in a small island should add room to the long narrow living room, add much needed light to the kitchen and make getting to and from the master bedroom - laundry area to rest of house easier. Please let me know what you think. Thank you

Comments (6)