SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueskysunnyday

Kitchen addition/renovation layout help, please.

blueskysunnyday
3 years ago

Hello, all. Thanks to the wonderful community at GardenWeb and now Houzz, I have been able to make the kitchen in our 1950 house work for us since we moved here almost 8 years ago. Now we are planning to add a covered porch to the back of the house and will be able to extend and rearrange our kitchen a bit. Currently, we have a closed-off U-shape and are excited to open the kitchen up to our family room and have an island. The addition will be about 20x12 and the "kitchen proper" will be about 23x12. The architect has given us 3 plans which are all about the same except for the placement of the clean-up sink. He has created symmetry by putting the fridge at one end and a similarly-sized tall cabinet at the other end, and he prefers to keep the hood centered in the kitchen space and on the island. The problem with that is that there is very little space between the clean-up sink and range (looks like 18", but I think we could squeeze the sink and window over and make it 24") unless we move the clean-up sink to the island, which I do not want to do after reading so many informative posts on this forum. We could also squeeze it in on the peninsula, but neither of the 2 dishwashers we want would be there with it. I would love some advice from the experts here! I'm trying to create a functional clean-up zone with 2 dishwashers (or one DW and a set of DW drawers), space for a drying rack and drawers to store clean dishes without crowding the cooking zone or overlapping too much. I am attaching:

1) A whole house plan so you can see how the kitchen space relates to the house;

2) Plan A (has sink on perimeter, close to stove) with measurements added in red and the space that will be new outlined in blue;

3) Plan C (has sink on perimeter with stove/hood moved out of center, so no symmetry -- worried that might be an issue for resale in this neighborhood, plus we lose a window); and

4) An edited Plan A with some changes I would like to make (shift clean-up sink and both windows by 6 inches, move prep sink in, put both dishwashers near clean-up sink, add locations for trash and freezer drawers), but the stove and sink still seem crowded.

I did not include Plan B -- it just puts the clean-up sink in the island directly across from the stove and flanked by two dishwashers.

Thank you in advance for any advice and insight you can provide! Please don't hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville