SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_207734965

HELP! Overwhelmed by Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer Choices

Moira L
3 years ago

We are shopping for cabinets for our kitchen remodel. We've never selected cabinets before (other than a bathroom vanity) and I'm quickly getting overwhelmed.

My budget is somewhat flexible, but not unlimited. We added a few things to our addition and our renovation cost is already creeping up so I want to be smart here. I probably don't have the budget to go full custom. That being said, I DO NOT want crap in my kitchen. I don't need the highest top of the line bells and whistles, but I need something that meets our specifications and will last.

We have roughly 70 linear feet of cabinets. We don't need a ton of bells and whistles. Here are our specs:

White Shaker Style

Works with 90.5 inch ceilings

36 inch pantry with rollout trays

Pull out spice rack

Cabinet microwave (24")

We have one corner to deal with. I want the easy reach on the top and probably some form of a lazy susan or pull out on the base cabinet so I can access everything. NO PLASTIC AND NO BLIND CORNERS!!!

Tray divider cabinet

Mostly drawers for base cabinets - very important to have large, deep drawers for pots and pans

Glass cabinet doors for a couple of the wall cabinets

I've read all the nightmares about painted cabinets. Wood, MDF panels, cracks, OMG. It makes my head spin. White cabinets seem to be the most popular but everyone complains about the cracks. The reviews for virtually all brands I've researched have totally mixed reviews. I get you can't make everyone happy, but if I'm the one who has cabinets falling apart in a year or two I'm going to be really unhappy.

Our first trip to the kitchen designer was a total failure. We went to a reputable place recommended by our builder. He even recommended a specific designer. We did not click. He didn't listen and kept steering me to a specific cabinet brand that I said I didn't want. They represent about a dozen brands and he took me into one, told me it was "slightly lower than mid-grade" and wanted me to pick out colors. I asked to see more options. He took me to see 2 more which were closer to what I was looking for but kept trying to push the first one. Maybe there was a commission special on that brand or something. He never answered our questions about quality and durability to my satisfaction, only telling me they were all great products. He showed us Homecrest (the one he was pushing), Diamond (Distinction, I think) and Ultracraft.

We are going to meet a different designer with a different company this week. They carry Kraftmaid, Merillot, Wellnborn, Mid-Continent, Fabuwood and Candlelight.

I'd love some ideas on where to start. What to stay away from and what to conisder. I realize it's subjective. Assume I'd like to stay under $30k for 70 linear feet.

Any input is welcome!!!

Comments (2)