SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoesmomma

New here--overwhelmed with choices!

twinkletoesmomma
15 years ago

Hi

I am new here. We were planning a renovation in January, but I still haven't made final decisions, so I guess it'll be a bit later.

I have a U shaped kitchen (with one shorter edge of the U).

I'd like to model it after this kitchen (although mine is smaller and I don't want as many open shelves. I'm too messy!)

http://8rd.org/decoration/home-decoration/kitchens/white-kitchen-cabinets.html

We are probably going with Dove White in Kraftmaid from Lowes--either the Ashbury or Chelsea door style.

Now for my questions:

1. In the picture, it shows an angled cabinet with open shelves on the wall. I absolutely love the look of it, but doing so would only allow me a 9 inch utility cabinet. If I don't have it, I could get a 24." It seems like the 9 wouldn't hold much of anything, right? I have a mop, broom, and small fold up step stool. I was planning on having cookbooks on the top shelves of the utility cabinet, but I guess I could have them in the angled door. Thoughts?

2. We don't use "normal" pantry items. I cook from scratch, so we have large containers/mason jars of flours, oats, raisins, nuts, etc instead of canned goods, juice boxes, etc. I am not doing a traditional tall pantry because I really want the extra counter space. What would be a good base cabinet for this sort of thing? My initial layout originally was a regular base cabinet with pull out drawers. I hesitate because it is on a corner (not a corner cabinet--an air duct wall is there). I am afraid the door will bump on the cabinet on the adjacent wall. How would all drawers look and function to the right of the stove? Are there any other options for this "non-traditional" pantry?

3. The range hood....some are ugly. I think we just have a fan in our current kitchen, not a vent. What is the difference? Also, I like the mantle style in that picture, but my kitchen is too small for something so massive. Also, I don't want to lose countertop space or wall cabinet space for something just decorative....but I LOVE that shelf mantle--so simple yet beautiful!!! I had a layout done at Lowes and we couldn't really get that look without coming down or losing too many wall cabinets. I only have a 33 inch cabinet on either side with our fake "mantle" piece over the stove. She didn't even do the side pieces which I think doesn't complete the look. Any modifications to the picture taking my smaller wall inter consideration?

4. The sink...ugh! I can't decide. I have read so many threads about sinks. All I've ever had is builder grade SS double sink, but I love the look of a big white sink. I think a farmhouse sink is too pricy for us, plus I have concerns about install and water dripping down. My main concern is the scratching and staining though. Plus, if it is undermounted, we wouldn't be able to replace it, right?

How would a silgranit sink be in white? would it scratch and stain? I don't want to "baby" a sink. I have four little kids and my dh and I USE the kitchen a lot.

what are some other options? Would a drop in be a bad idea? I don't really like having to clean the edges, but at least I could replace the sink if it gets too stained and scratched?

I don't think a SS sink would go nice with that picture...white is really the only color choice, I think. What is the MOST durable white sink that can take abuse for a long time? ....(I heard some sinks look great for a few years and then loose the surface, and get yucky.)

5. Countertops--what does it look like in that picture? I would love silstone, not granite as I don't care for the variations. Corian's Tumbleweed color is my favorite color--a true light brown (not yellowy or red or grey) What color in a quartz would be the most similar?

That is all I can think of for now although I am sure I'll have lots more questions in the days and weeks ahead. :)

Sorry for the long first post. Thanks for taking the time to help a clueless girl out!

Here is a link that might be useful: My inspiration Kitchen

Comments (7)