SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_goldberg9

Unique 80s Living Room Renovation Ideas: What do you think??

Melissa Goldberg
3 years ago

Hi Houzz community, meet our wall of beige, multi-arched, sunburst-filled, low-beamed, lofted living room!

We would like to update this space. We love the modern farmhouse/cozy scandinavian look (inspiration below). Here are changes we're considering. I'd love thoughts on any and all, or challenges you foresee given the odd existing layout. One thing worth noting: we want the house to feel updated and open, but we want it to be practical, usable, unpretentious, and we'd be doing almost everything DIY.

1) Removing the arches (we'd probably just square off all those doorways, although I was debating how wood trim would look around at least the one at the bottom of the stairs. thoughts?).

2) Replacing the stairs and having the treads come all the way to the wall. One big challenge here is the framing around the staircase and the way the stairs disappear behind the wall and then it re-opens in the loft.

3) Replacing the stair and loft handrails (I love the wrought iron and wood style pictured below, my S.O. is a little more inclined towards just a traditional white and wood railing.

4) Painting the walls white (the room gets south facing light and has lots of warm hues from the fireplace and flooring, so so far BM Chantilly Lace or Oxford White are my top choices since they read warm in this room. Swiss coffee looks completely beige based on a recent test. We are OVER beige in this house.

5) Windows - maybe replace completely. Getting estimates now, so much for my under $1000k renovation (excluding furniture) dreams. I think I'd do casement with wood frames or vinyl with wood grain appearance. No matter what we'd redo the trim to be less clunky; likely wood.

6) The beams. I just don't know. They are structural. Has any one ever covered beams with wood veneer? How did it look? And with these being so low, would that actually be worse? Should I just paint them white?

5) Decor: new, shorter area rug (existing was left by pervious owners). Would be gray or beige, pet friendly), sofa & arm chair thinking gray or dark blue, must be dog friendly, as you can see.

6) Lighting: new ceiling fan with lights, at least one bright floor lamp. I love the idea of sconces, but given our budget, I'm not sure that added electrical work is worth it.

7) The built in: I'm just curious your thoughts. Would you redo the shelving to fit the tv better? Would you consider painting them?

8) The tall wood hutch is a family heirloom and there is nowhere else in the house for it to go. it doesn't really match the style we're going for, but I can't possibly get rid of it. Ideas on how to make it work?

Not in the budget right now: flooring, as unfortunately, it needs to be full replaced as it's not level nor in good condition. Removing textured ceilings. Somehow downsizing the ginormous mantle that cuts the room's usable space by 4ft.

Thanks for all of your amazing thoughts and input!!!

Inspiration:

Red Ledges · More Info

Scandi Modern · More Info

Stairway style of my dreams (didn't know I could have romantic feelings for a staircase and handrail, but here we are):

Lake House New Construction · More Info

Comments (9)