SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

What’s wrong with this recipe?

bbstx
3 years ago

https://www.myfussyeater.com/after-school-oat-raisin-cookies/

DD made this for DGS. She said the flavor was good but they were very very crumbly - too crumbly. I have no idea how to amend the recipe to make it less crumbly. Compared to similar recipes, it looks like it has too much flour in it and maybe not enough fat.

Any ideas for “fixing” it?

Comments (23)

• olychick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No eggs! I'd add one or two.

bbstx thanked olychick
  • party_music50
    3 years ago

It's a "healthy" recipe, so yes. lol! If she liked the flavor and sweetness as it is, I'd just try adding an egg.

bbstx thanked party_music50
  • Related Discussions

RECIPE: Whoops,hash recipe posted on wrong listing

Q

Comments (1)
    Since I was not asking a question thought I had better bump it down. Lois
    ...See More

What’s wrong with my holly bushes?

Q

Comments (21)
    Just a common old garden spider.....nothing to worry about and nothing to do with whatever may be ailing your holly (not a Japanese holly, btw). Garden spiders are good things and should be encouraged. FWIW, hollies can be cut back hard and they will backbud or produce new growth from bare stems. Your plants look perfectly healthy otherwise and with no sign of insect or disease issues so why they are so leggy and sparse now is most likely due to cultural conditions....lack of water at some point, possible cold damage at some point or issues with the root ball when planted.
    ...See More

What’s wrong with this green ash tree?

Q

Comments (1)
    aphids produce honeydew.. which with an extreme population ... can rain down ... you solved the aphid issue.. presuming the application was properly applied... severe leaf damage was not going to be 'healed' by killing the bugs.. severely damaged leaves fall off.. this may never happen again.. or maybe in 10 year cycle... i doubt you will notice next year.. since you already solved the problem.. there is nothing more to do... no need to double up the cure... in theory.. there is nothing left to cure... ken
    ...See More

What’s wrong with my horse chestnut tree?

Q

Comments (3)
    its september.. days are getting shorter.. and trees are shutting down.. the result of shutting down.. is ugly leaves.. we do not treat leaves that will fall off in a few weeks or a month ... trees that are stressed.. can shut down early... stress might be heat.. drought.. hail storm etc.. related.. everything that happened to the tree since the leaves emerged.. causes ugly leaves in fall .. care to tell us what this trees been thru since early spring??? bark maturation and weirdness doesnt really bother me... nothing you can do about it.. other than observe it.... but.. could we see the whole trunk.. including where it goes in the ground.. is the root flare apparent?? ken
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I'm with Ricky on this one. Unless there are dietary restrictions, what's the point of "healthy" cookies?? If you want healthy, make a salad!

My favorite oatmeal cookie recipe has very little flour (only 2/3 cup) but 12 Tbsp of butter (1 and a half sticks), a whole cup of brown sugar (and 1/2 cup of granulated) and 1 large egg. And where's the seasoning in that recipe?? Not even any cinnamon?

bbstx thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I found another one that used peanut butter or whatever sort of nut butter you preferred. But because it is going to school, it cannot contain any nut butter or peanut butter.

Ricky, I agree with you on the “healthy cookie” oxymoron.

I’ll tell her to try adding an egg.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

GG48, I agree. Just make a d@mn oatmeal cookie. But DD and DSIL are personally into “healthy“ food. She probably chose a recipe without cinnamon because DGD2 gets diaper rash when she eats cinnamon.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

To keep it healthy but less crumbly I'd use white wheat flour and add an egg

bbstx thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

She could also add some applesauce or plain Greek yogurt for more moisture

bbstx thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • plllog
    3 years ago

As an alternative to nut butter, there are seed butters like techinah (sesame) and sunflower. There are egg replacers and garbanzo bean goo, though I have no idea why eggs wouldn't be considered “healthy”. I think for anti-crumble you need sticky as well as damp.

What I don't get is the lifestyle point of non-cookie cookies. This is a general observation—people have their own reasons for making their choices. This is about my own way of thinking. Better make a habit of eating whole fruit, nuts and seeds, than reaching for a cookie, even a “healthy” one.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • beesneeds
    3 years ago

Part of it might be that it's a UK recipe... their flours can be a bit different than U.S. flours. Their whole wheat is usually coarser with a higher protein and slightly lower gluten content. Our brown sugar is usually granulated+molasses, and theirs often uses a more superfine sugar, with molasses and sometimes golden syrup, or sometimes using sugar beet syrup. Their butter is a bit different, try using a European butter- Kerrygold is pretty common in the states.

bbstx thanked beesneeds
  • plllog
    3 years ago

Oh! Beesneeds's point is very well taken. Alternative ingredients can make enormous differences in cookies. And beet sugar, for reasons I don't understand, but have seen first hand, can make cookies weird, with strange, unmoist texture. I always forget to think of that. Even in the bag, brown beet sugar feels dry and crumbly. And if it doesn't say “cane” it isn't. Organic brown sugar is usually beet.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, all. I’ve passed your comments and wisdom along to DD.

Plllog, they can bring alternative-butters to school, but the parents have to include an affirmative declaration of what it is. Apparently there is one boy in the class who is highly allergic, anaphylactic-shock allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. I think DD has bought some sun-butter to use.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

I would tell her to ditch that recipe and find another...one with eggs and something liquid...juice or apple sauce or even grated carrots would provide some moisture.....and skip the bi carb and sub some baking powder.
    Which is a different recipe.....as I said dump that recipe and find another.

bbstx thanked lindac92
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

The author shows two different batches. One does look more crumbly than the one that has a slight spread from sitting flat on the cookie sheet. Maybe one sat a bit longer on the counter, (distractions with young children). Or the pre-heat not complete. Went in the oven at a lower temp.? Flours and oats will continue to absorb any moisture if given the time. A dryer batter. And like mentioned, different flours and butters. Different ovens. Different oats. (I pulse mine in the processor to break them up a bit)

Chia is the best as a binder if an egg is not on hand or not in the diet. Soak one tbsp in 3 tbsp water for 20 minutes. Probably as simple as a tbsp of avocado or coconut oil would make a difference.

I make a seed and oat cracker that will not work at all without chia and psyllium husk, ...both are binders. It took a few tries to get the recipe to work for me.

At least give a high five for baking at home instead of pulling out a box of processed cookies. At least you know what ingredients are in the recipe. Most are plenty sweet cutting the sugar in half or more. Especially with all the raisins.

I'm cool with parents wanting to make a better snack. Especially for the picky ones. Yes to the add-ins like carrots, golden beets, apples or sauce, bananas, orange juice, soaked dried fruits, nuts, seeds.

bbstx thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Add an egg, ditch the raisins -- sub in chocolate or butterscotch chips if desired.

bbstx thanked artemis_ma
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    3 years ago

If the flavor is good, do everything the exact same way, just add a small quantity of Vital wheat gluten.

dcarch

bbstx thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • wednesday morning
    3 years ago

It looks to me that it needs an egg. Or, she could try using some quick cooking oats. It seems to me that the rolled oat flake is maybe not absorbing the moisture and it remains pretty separate.

Some of the posters pointed out that cookies are inherently not a healthy snack. But I do understand your daughters desire to give the kids something with some nutritional value to it.

Cookies are always going to be just cookies, though. The best thing a mother can do towards cookies is to limit the amount her kids eat.

We can only have control over these things while our kids are little and still pretty much depending on parents to monitor and supply the food. But, as soon as they get out into the world, it all changes.

I am a grandmother and I have been through all of this..........twice.

It is important to teach kids from an early age that rich and sweet treats should be enjoyed in moderation, if you can. I guarantee you taht they won't understand or accept!

Have to agree with others who say that a cookie is still a cookie, until it isn't. And, the kids don't want it if it is not a cookie.

Make a real cookie and limit the amount. You can only tweak a cookie so far and it can only be of so much nutritional value. One thing that I always say about such matters is that, if you have to worry about its nutritional value, you are eating too much of it. If it is worrisome, limit it. Just because you added some carrots or apple sauce to it does not negate the fact that it is a lot of sweet and fat.

Our grown kids can get into some pretty strong ideas when they become parents and we are not lkely to convince them otherwise. What value is the advice from mom when the internet if so full of ideas that mom never dreamed of? What does mom know that the internet does not know better?

bbstx thanked wednesday morning
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

UPDATE: DD made the cookies again and added an egg. She said it improved the texture (no longer crumbly) but blunted the sweetness. Adding more brown sugar next time.

• plllog
    3 years ago

Everything all right there?

bbstx thanked plllog
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Plllog, if you are asking about the weather, it is pretty much back to normal, the low 60s. I would say 50% of the people I saw out and about today were wearing shorts. There are still patches of snow, but mostly small ones and only in the shade.

DGS could not go to school today because there was insufficient water pressure to flush toilets. His sister’s school, about 1/2 mile away, was in session. They had enough pressure for the toilets to work. However, the girls had to bring their own drinking water.

• plllog
    3 years ago

It's great that your schools are open at all! I was concerned about you and yours (and all of Texas, but you in particular). We don't get freeze, so it all looks scary.

Interesting about the egg effects on the "cookies". :)

bbstx thanked plllog
  • Cloud Swift
    3 years ago

If not putting in cinnamon, I'd put in some other spice to add flavor. I recently made oatmeal cookies with cardamom and that went really well in them. Actually, my DH who isn't usually a big oatmeal cookie fan really loved them.

Most cinnamon in the United States is cassia. Ceylon cinnamon comes from the bark of a different plant. It has a similar flavor but different chemical composition. One of my son's friends is allergic to cinnamon but I'd read that often people who are allergic to cassia aren't allergic to Ceylon cinnamon. He was interested in trying it and we found that he isn't allergic to it. Your DD might see that's tolerated better. Ceylon cinnamon can be bought from spice companies like Penzy's and Spice House.

bbstx thanked Cloud Swift
  • Lars
    3 years ago

In addition to the egg (or two), I would add coconut flakes and chocolate chips. The chips go very well with the raisins, and to coconut will add a bit of natural sweetness, although not very much.

I've always made cookies like that with granola instead of rolled oats, and the granola is usually sweet, plus it makes crunchier cookies.

bbstx thanked Lars