SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fazooley

Polished Carrera Marble Etching/Grout Haze

Mr. Fazoolowitz
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Guys. We recently had 2 bathrooms redone in our new home and in one of the bathrooms we used Polished Carrera. The tiler our GC had do the work did a beautiful job with installation but aside from the many small scratches there are large blotches in certain areas. Initially I thought the grout scratched/etched the tile but now it almost looks like grout haze that wasnt cleaned off properly and was impregnated/sealed. Im just speculating here but i would love to hear from a professional tiler or someone with experience with marble. The contractor has vowed to make it right whether that is having it buffed/polished or ripping it all out and replacing and reinstalling new tile. If it was just the small scratches I could probably live with it or try to polish them out myself but these blotches are just horrific when any natural light enters the room. Below are some pictures I hope someone can direct me

Also just some more background. The did seal the tile prior to grouting and after. From what i can remember they sealed the 2nd time about 24 hours after grouting. Around a week later when I pointed this out they came back and tried acetone to remove it but with no luck. Also the grout was Mapel Flexcolor CQ premixed. Now I know this grout they dont consider sanded or unsanded, and they say its safe for polished marble and the recommendations here are what led me to this. I can't stress how many times i told the tiler DO NOT GROUT THIS BATHROOM until you have taken the grout and tested it on the tiles. I know from reading here and many other places that some marble is just soft, and regardless of any grout it should be tested prior to using on a entire bathroom. Now he didnt listen to me and it kinda erks me now if the grout was the issue because this could have all been avoided by taking 10 minutes and just testing it.

Hoping someone here has some help for us

Thanks

Zooley

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!