SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Texans - how are you doing with the deep freeze?

3katz4me
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I was talking to my friend down there and she said she has never seen it this cold and she is a lifelong resident. They are draining and shutting off their water for probably five days. I saw the low was going to be 9 degrees one day and 1-4 inches of snow forecasted. It looks like lots of roads are icy/snowy. Wouldn't be a big deal in MN but we are equipped to deal with it. I'm still horrified by that accident this week. Hope all of you who are impacted are safe and warm inside.

Comments (147)

• Jilly
    3 years ago

DH’s boss raises cattle, he had to help him bust up water in tanks for them yesterday. A calf was born a couple of days ago, is doing well. They have shelter.

DD got power for 20 whole minutes today.

We’ve been told water supplies are getting dangerously low, so we’re not supposed to drip faucets now. RIP, pipes.

“Is it always like this here? I wanna go back in!” (DH texted me this little cutie.)

NOC is holding up ok.

• Bestyears
    3 years ago

Our power is back at least temporarily and my food is in a friends freezer. DD got power back temporaril, long enough to heat the house a bit and cook up all their food. Temps will be well be well below freezing until Sat. So praying till then...

• Related Discussions

Dig It, how deep and how wide do you dig?

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't dig deeply or amend for most of my plantings. We've topdressed with compost every year for over a decade. However, I do plant Clematis deeper and I'm beginning to think not spending more time on their holes is the reason why some are not doing as well as others. The Clematis planted in a bed next to the house that was heavily amended and rototilled more than once and dug deep because of setting the trellis posts two feet deep have thrived a lot better than Clems in other areas that were just stuck in holes even though the ones just stuck get more sun. The Clematis planted where there are tree roots from neighbor's Douglas Fir trees and Arborvitaes do the worst. They just struggle along. I have no way of knowing if it is variety or soil conditions as I don't have any duplicates and most of the stragglers are Type IIs that weren't properly pruned to begin with and some were half dead when I brought them home too "rescues".
    ...See More

How are you doing post-freeze in NEPA?

Q

Comments (1)
    I think my wisteria died. It had new growth only about an inch or so and they froze. And it hasn't sprouted anything else. New Dawn on an arbor seems to be ok and has since set a lot of buds. I lost a lot of foliage on my bigger hostas, but they will come back. It didn't bother the iris at all, but a lot of lilies totally froze, while others only wilted slightly. Pam
    ...See More

How do you freeze bread?

Q

Comments (21)
    I wrap (homemade) loaves of bread tightly with plastic wrap, then wrap in foil. This tight-fitting wrap prevents ice crystals from forming (the famous sticky bottom of a thawed loaf of bread) as well as freezer burn - which is caused by evaporation of moisture in the bread because it's in a loose-fiting plastic bag - which causes the ice crystals. Air-tight is always the trick to better freezing. Never leave things loose in a plastic bag - that's an invitation to freezer burn. I also make all our burger and hot dog buns, and they are best wrapped individually in pop-up foil (I get boxes of it at Sam's). Once again, if you use a close-fitting, air-tight wrap, it will prevent freezer burn. You can't place a whole bag of commercial hamburger buns loosely in the bag you purchase them in, in the freezer and not expect anything else but a formation of ice crystals and freezer burn. Grainlady
    ...See More

how do you freeze bread?

Q

Comments (17)
    Well, here's another opinion... Refrigerating bread? Not any more. I'll leave it out first. Refrigerators tend to dry it out. Freezing it will keep it better. And I agree that it's not the method to freeze, but the thawing but after that I disagree. What I've experienced is thawing it in the bag the condensation gets on the bread. Take a loaf and put a tablespoon or so of water in the bag and leave it sit. See if it clings to the wrapper. I'll bet it won't! I either leave the bag open a while to evaporate the excess moisture or pull the bread out of the bag and let the bag dry, or I'll take a dry bag and transfer it. Bread thaws quickly, especially if it's sliced and you pull it apart. I've never tried the paper towel thing but I'd guess that would help keep the excess moisture away from the bread.
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

Ida, you’re using the lengthening app IG influencers use, right?😄

Happy Birthday, Butters!

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

Check for a pouch, Ida! Butters Mc-boing-boing!

• SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Haha. Look at Butters! To think he'll keep growing until 2ish. He doesn't have the long coat of Maine Coon, but maybe he has an uncle who was part Maine Coon. He needs his own couch, clearly. Wow. And those ears! So big. He's adorable when he's not knocking things over.

• User
    3 years ago

Butters Mc-boing-boing! Hahahaha! He has a new name now! 😹

• olychick
    3 years ago

This is so awful for so many people. I cannot imagine. Those devastating kinds of storms are mostly unusual here, too, but still common enough that we are prepared with woodstoves and generators and our houses and pipes are generally better insulated against the cold. People have boots and warm clothing. I wish we could ship some to you!

Ida wrote "Our power hasn't been cut at all either. My colleague heard or read
    that Oncor customers can expect "more of the same" -- if you've not had
    power cut, you likely won't. If you're experiencing the rolling
    blackouts, you'll keep doing that, and if your power has been out for an
    extended length of time, it's going to be awhile still before it's
    restored."

For those of you not Oncor customers, who provides your power? Are there other private companies or PUD's or Municipal power companies? How is it all decided where you get your power and who regulates them? (I guess the refusal to join the nation's power grid is to avoid Federal regulation, from what I've been reading).

Is it only Oncor that isn't part of the nation's power grid or is it ALL of Texas?

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Oly, it’s all of Texas, not just Oncor ... except El Paso, I think?

There are different providers all over, but all under the same umbrella of ERCOT, Electric Reliability Council of Texas. They regulate everything and are telling providers what to do.

For instance, my dad has Tri-County electric, which services rural areas in various counties. He‘s on an hour on/hour off schedule. My DD is in Dallas and has been completely cut-off with zero info. I’m on city electric in a not-huge town and apparently the same grid as our hospital district — that’s why I have power still.

Beyond that, it’s hard to explain because even we residents don’t know much. Plus, this board is so sensitive to trigger words, there’s not a lot we can say. But I think you know what I mean by that. And there’s a LOT I’d like to say about what’s happening and why.

• roarah
    3 years ago

I am thinking of you all and wish I could help in some way. Be safe.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I want to say how much I appreciate this thread — the commiseration with fellow Texans and well wishes from those of you not here. It means so much. ❤️

ETA:

I’m going to be honest — this is mentally very tough. I’m so worried sick about my baby girl (and her bf, who we love) and my dad who is struggling with severe anxiety and depression. This has been affecting his mental state bad. And of course the extremely vulnerable people in our state and other family/friends grappling with this. People are dying. :(

I’m seeing so much suffering everywhere, but here we are relatively in good physical shape with water and power. Survivor’s guilt type of thing? I don’t know. I turned our thermostat wayyy down and hardly use any lights/etc because I feel bad that we have power and others don’t. Add all that to feeling basically abandoned by those in power. It’s just all very challenging on top of Covid and other things.

• Bestyears
    3 years ago

I've been trying to educate myself since our power is still on, about the issue. What I've gathered so far: Texas is the only state whose grid is not part of the federal system, and it was a purposeful decision to escape federal regulation. ERCOT, who operates the grid and manages the deregulated power network, is in charge. Despite a 2011 report (following another disastrous storm outage) outlining necessary improvements, nothing has been done. But our illustrious governor is all set to study it again of course.

This week, our energy supply was greatly diminished by the freeze damage to the equipment the energy producers rely on. (the report's recommendations would have helped greatly here had they been implemented). Wind and natural gas were the hardest-hit areas. Some say our supply has been diminished by 30%. So on a good day, that would be a noticeable hit, but now of course with temps in the teens, we also had record demand. Without the 30% deficit in the energy supply, we likely could have handled the extra demand just as we do during record heat days. Both things together created a perfect storm. Add to that -construction is different here than in parts of the country where cold is more expected. Our outdoor pipes are buried just a few inches below the surface, as compared to 30" below in other places, which makes ours more prone to freeze damage. In our homes, pipes are not wrapped in insulation and buried in the rafters. They are run bare behind walls and across the attic. So again, much more vulnerable to hard freeze damage.

A lot of us have learned some valuable lessons. It's a five-minute operation to turn off your water, though you may need to be sure you have the tool. That won't keep your pipes from freezing, but if they do freeze, you won't have water damage., which is far less of a problem of course. I've always thought of gas as just a nicer, more controllable way to cook. But again, a lot of us have suddenly realized how much less onerous this outage would have been if we could still cook. We have stayed acceptably warm with our gas fp and lots of blankets. Many people took food out of their fridges and just put it outside since it was so cold, and that worked pretty well. But not being able to cook really made it worse than it needed to be. We need to upgrade at least our cooktop to gas! Also, we didn't know our propane tank (for our gas grill) was empty, as it doesn't have an indicator. I've since found one (for 11.99!) on Amazon, so that problem will be solved. Between hurricanes and wind storms, we probably lose power 5 or 6 times a year. I've eschewed a generator, just feeling that we could muscle through, and hating the noise, etc. I still feel that way. But having a gas cooktop and a filled propane tank would go a long way to minimizing our misery. Lesson learned!

• maddielee
    3 years ago

I feel so awful for all who experiencing the cold and outages. I can not imagine families with children or elderly family members trying to stay warm.

I am so sorry.

• Marlene Oliver
    3 years ago

I am so sorry for the suffering so many are experiencing.

Jinx, my BFF lives in Austin and she feels the same as you.

Our ice storm in Oregon lasted a few days but there are about 150,000 still without power. I got very lucky as I only had a 5 hour and then 13 hour loss of power and cell service. The temperature in my home was 58 degrees but I was able to keep warm. I can only imagine what it is like for those who are experiencing this day after day and it is heartbreaking.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

I am so sorry for all of you dealing with this in Texas. Know that the rest of the country feels helpless and wants to help.

Hugs from Philly.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Hang in there guys! Praying for our Texas friends!!

• olychick
    3 years ago

Jinx and Bestyears, thanks for the explanation of the systems there. I was also wondering about propane grills; it seems everyone here has one - I guess I would have thought with the Texas BBQ image I have that most people would have outdoor grills there, too. I bought 2 propane tanks in a set at Costco and keep those both filled as spares, so I can at least cook when the power is off. One is full and in the garage and when the other runs out, I take it directly and have it refilled. I hope you'll do that with your new one now that you'll have 2. You'll never be caught short again.

I wonder how much impact, if any, this situation will have on building codes. Hopefully, it's a 100 years before the next event, but how can you know?

Thinking of you all and hoping for a short duration of this weather.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Jinx we feel the same as you although we are without water again. At least we had one evening of having it as a break in between. We are part of the hospital power grid so have had power.

our water issues were first due to frozen pipes and as bbstx mentioned those are run in the attic. There is insulation, but not enough for the very cold extended temps we have seen. It is not unusual for it to get cold and dip into below freezing, but it generally doesn’t last for long.

We are now out of water due to power issues for the wells our rural water provider use to give us water.

Friday last week started out with ice/sleet which often weigh tree branches down and electrical lines and can cause power disruptions. The ice also causes very treacherous roads so it makes it harder for repair crews to access areas as well and unlike cities/counties who are used to dealing with this on a regular basis the equipment for salting /sanding is just not there to provide everywhere and quickly. Consider this like when the first snow/freeze happens up north before the crews have their acts fully together and then also pretend that only 1/20 or less of the equipment was available for that day and you’d have chaos.

Then came the arctic blast which dropped the temps even more. Last week we had temperatures in the 70s and we went down to -2 in our area and never mind the wind chill. add snow to the ice and even more weight to cause damage to power lines and a domino effect in blowing transformers etc. Also most houses here are not built to handle -2F which is record lows. We generally have standard 2x4 construction with R13 in the walls and R30 in the attic in new construction and older are generally worse. Single or double pane windows and most is more target to reduce heat inside during the summer. Plumbing is run in exterior walls and attics and not buried as deep as elsewhere. Swimming pools are open year around although most do not swim when it is 70 degrees outside as it feels too cold to do so.

The majority of housing in Texas use forced air to heat. A lot use natural gas or LP for the heat part, but the blower is still needed. This is generally sufficient to heat with for a few days of freezing or in the 32-60 degrees outside range, however it is not very efficient when you get to windy conditions and -2 degrees and people want to raise the thermostat to feel comfortable. Most forced air vents are in the ceiling and heat rises, built for cooling rather than heating and high ceilings are common- nice for cooling purposes. This all means a higher temp would need to be set to feel warmer so the load is higher as well.

Now we have more power outages as we got rain overnight that froze to create ice again on the roads and make it tough to drive again for the line men doing repairs as well as new power outages due to more ice.

We are supposend to get more precipitation overnight again tonight with still freezing temps So I expect tomorrow will have new power outages.

Kid is excited though to be out of school for yet another day. Last Friday and Monday were holidays so she Will have had a whole week off.

BTW I should note we are used to having an ice-storm at least once a year, but it generally only lasts 0.5-1.5 days and temps are generally at least above 10 degrees and usually rise above freezing quickly. We have now had 2 ice-storms, 1 snow storm, and another ice storm tonight (all in 6 days) and got above freezing where I live for the first time since Friday - we reached 33 degrees today. Unusual event for sure.

• Bestyears
    3 years ago

Jinx, I know what you mean about survivor's guilt. Our power is still on, which I can't believe. When it came back on a few hours ago, they warned us to expect it to go off again, and that is what seems to be happening in general, but here we are six hours later, still on. Once our house warmed up to 65 or so, all I could think of was, "We can turn it off and give it to someone who needs it,' but unfortunately, it doesn't work quite that way.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Goodness, what an ordeal. Please take it seriously and take all precautions. Hope the power comes on soon.

• amykath
    3 years ago

I feel so terrible and sad that so many are without power. It is heartbreaking. Luckily, I have not lost power (yet). Howerver, I have no running water. It has been 48 hrs since I did.

Grocery stores and convenient stores etc are all out bc obviously people are buying it bc not many have running water.

I have resorted to gathering snow to drink, wash etc. My dearest friend's mother said she had an extra case of water and my friend brought it over and even stopped to get my cats some cat food as I was out. I do not dare drive in this bc it terrifies me. She has a new SUV AWD and was able to get to my place without problems. What a fabulous friend to have!

I had posted on FB a photo of my huge pot filled with ice and explained that was happening. At that point not so many were without water.

A friend who I have had literally no communication with in 30 years said he would bring me some. That was pretty amazing and made me feel so greatful that people are so generous!

This was his comment to me.

I happen to be stuck in SA now (trying to get home to Denver), and oddly enough, this stuff doesn’t bother me. Let me know if you reach a point where you need anything...I’m happy to run out for you and do a home delivery for any necessities. Who cares that we haven’t seen each other in 30 yrs, right?!?!

Truly warms the heart!!

Be safe Texans and let us hope that things get back to normal and soon!!!

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

AK how cool to reconnect with an old friend, and in the middle of a weather fiasco! So glad you have those watching out for you.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

(Just an FYI, AK...I married someone I hadn't seen in 30+ years!)

YMMV

• graywings123
    3 years ago

FYI to those shopping for a gas stove: check to see whether the stove works if there is no electricity. Mine does not. It is a safety feature that you cannot overcome.

• ks92
    3 years ago

DD#2 is in Fort Worth. Won't work all week due to power issues at clinic. Her water went out last night due to a city main break. Thankful she still has power.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Hang in there Texans!

I was going to say something about wishing you could pack up for a vacation in a warm spot, like Cancun, but thought that might sound uncaring.

• amykath
    3 years ago

jo, that is something!

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Bestyears, that’s so sad, with your neighbors. Jinx, your NOC is ridiculously cute and silly.

In Louisiana here, no snow, but icy rain, as you can see. In Baton Rouge, we are one of the fortunate few with power. Most neighborhoods have been without power since Monday. All around us, for miles at a stretch without power, including most houses in our own subdivision, but we never lost power. Feel terrible for those without power, especially the elderly and the homeless. Due to Covid, it’s not feasible to offer to house anyone, unless they are in your “bubble.”

Lots of burst pipes, low water pressure or no water. One of our rental houses had frozen pipes, but it thawed out without any mishap.

Tons of trees, branches heavy with ice falling down, blocking streets.

Thee roads have thawed out though. Ice melting and sliding off roofs, trees, etc. looks like the worst is behind us, at least in La. Now, most waiting for power and water to be restored.

Stay safe, everyone.

• Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

Heart goes out to all Texans especially your neighbors Bestyears—an unfathomable loss. Years ago we were without power for five days, but never water. Hoping all is back to normal soon for everyone before we see more heartbreaking tragedies.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

nutsaboutplants it is scary with the no power part. Co-workers neighbors had a newborn and they were without power for 3 days. The neighborhood did come together based on his stories to help each other out. Even checking on people based on Facebook messages where people posted they couldn't get in touch with their family members.

We've now been a couple of hours of snow again and it will be colder overnight than the last couple of days. We have some water, but low pressure and boil notice, but are told to conserve water as only a limited number of wells are providing water to the people in our county at this point. We are considering draining our pipes for the night since they asked to not keep them dripping and turn on water in the morning if we still have some when it warms up some.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Yes, we have people posting on nextdoor about elderly parents or other family asking neighbors to check on them. We gave our friends all the firewood we had, since we have power and a gas fireplace with faux logs. Everyone is doing what they can, especially now that the roads are a little safer to drive on.

• Bestyears
    3 years ago

lyfia, we turned our water off last night, and it helped me sleep better! Turned it back on this morning. Took less than two minutes and no downside as near as I can tell. My friend ventured out to the grocery store this morning, and to Lowe's. The grocery stores are empty of all perishables. No meat, no dairy, no produce. There are canned goods, baking mixes, pasta, etc. Lowe's was an absolute zoo. A long line outside.

• lizzie_grow
    3 years ago

What an ordeal for all of you. Take care & know that we all wish we could help you!

• User
    3 years ago

It's melting a bit today. We had a horrid crash earlier as a chunk of ice broke free from the highest point of the roof and hit against a lower portion. (DH went out to check, and all is ok, but man, what a bang it made!) Of course, the melt will refreeze in many places since I think it's going to be 13 tonight. We are so looking forward to next week, when temps will climb back into the 60s. (Seriously, Wednesday's high is expected to be 67. That's top-down convertible weather, less than a week after an unprecedented deep freeze!)

• L A
    3 years ago

San Antonio here, so many tourists in downtown hotels being kicked out because of water/sewage issues. There is no place for them to go and the roads are so bad they cannot leave the city some are forced to go to shelters. What a way to spend a vacation!!

• lascatx
    3 years ago

L A -- what a mess!

• Jilly
    3 years ago

My dad and brother have their power back on, DD’s is coming on in longer increments.

I’m so sorry for those of you still dealing with outages and/or burst pipes. I wish you could come stay with us.

Gas stations here are low to empty, and food is scarce ... but it should start getting better. Teens tonight, but above freezing tomorrow.

Brb — just going to buy an airline ticket to Cancun and pretend I wasn’t planning to stay there.

• lakeaffect_gw
    3 years ago

Jinx, don’t forget to pin your Cancun getaway on your children.

• User
    3 years ago

Such a sleaze.

• rubyclaire
    3 years ago

What a nightmare - sorry you all are dealing with this. I've been keeping up with family in the Dallas/Austin areas and the challenges they are confronting. I sincerely hope there is a serious study of all the factors that contributed to the massive failures in this situation.

Hang in there. Easier said then done, I know. I do not remotely have the right personality for these things. I was without power and water for 24 hours once during a hurricane (hot, hot) and once during a freak ice storm. Could not stand it - major lightweight. But even I would not escape to Cancun...

• amykath
    3 years ago

I was about to write and as I was starting I heard a weird sound coming from my toilet. I went to check the water and it is back on! Finally! It has been the lontest four days! The water company said the water in my area would not be back until Monday the 22nd.

I am beyond thrilled!

I feel almost guilty that I have power and water. I would gladly give it up for someone who needs it more than I do and there are so many who do.

I hope everyone in Texas will slowly get their power and/or water back soon. I have to say I was not expecting this and I will never take running water for granted again. I am the type who washes their hands nearly every half hour. I am somewhat obsessive about it.

At long last I can take a shower. My own smell was starting to make me sick.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

aktillery - we also have water now and thankfully no leaks it appears unless there is slow one somewhere from frozen pipes. I get you on the smell - we used baby wipes and I have a tween who was getting a bit stinky - which she can be even under normal circumstances because her brain hasn't caught up with her body changes yet so she doesn't seem to care. The other night I handed her a packet of baby wipes and told her to go take a bath - she didn't even miss a beat and just said can I take a bath in my bedroom. I'm guessing she may also have wanted a shower.

What is really worrisome is all the broken pipes and the damage it has done to homes and although insurance is well and good it is going to take a long time for those living with it to even get back to normal. Then those that don't have good insurance or no insurance are even worse off. I feel very guilty that we appear to be unscathed as just hearing from our friends across the state that they have burst pipes and damage means this is very widespread since that is a very small sample of people and right now we know 8 families that includes people in our area, Houston, Austin, and just south of Dallas that have burst pipes.

• amykath
    3 years ago

Lyfa, her daughter sounds like she has a great personality!

Yes, it is very sad indeed. I am trying to do my part in keeping my heat as low as I can handle it and also unplugging everything which is not in use. I wish I could do more.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Thinking of all those in apartments and rentals who, while not responsible for the repairs, will have deal with them, or have to relocate, and who also may not have renter’s insurance for their belongings.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

This made me laugh, saw it on Texas Monthly’s twitter ...

Someone posted about melting snow for toilet use:

This exchange over it. 😂

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

DD and SO had to go down to their apartment’s pool with buckets to get water for the toilet when what they'd saved ran out. Their water just came on a couple of hours ago.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Sheesh! Well, that's a real bonding experience! LOL

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

LOL!!!!

• gigi7
    3 years ago

We are in Amarillo and I haven't seen one thing in that article or in most news reports....we aren't on ERCOT up here, thank God. We have EXCEL, as does part of Colorado and numerous other places, We did not lose power...they did have small rolling blackouts one morning here...only about 35 minutes. They told us, so we kind of expected it. Never lost water, either. Amarillo is much closer to Albuquerque and Denver than we are to Austin! Definitely a higher altitude up here on the Caprock! WE get much colder and are used to snow and ice in the winter...we don't especially like it, but are used to it. The elevation here is 3605'; Dallas is 430'..Our kids in the Fort Worth area, as well as friends and family in Austin and Houston fared far worse...even though we were colder. ...my kids' house got down into the '30's with no power for days.... but they had water the whole time...but it was over 50 hours for them! So many people had it far worse, much worse, than they did...older people and those without insulated houses or apartments....burst pipes and frigid living conditions....and it's just ridiculous! Our roads are pretty clear and after our wind chills were -30, it feels like summer today at 53! Get the sunscreen and shorts, lol. We were 8 days below freezing with high temps in the single digits! Our stores haven't had too much shortage of anything but bread and some random things...certainly, we've had paper towels and toilet paper this time! But, not all of Texas is sunny and hot all the time....it can be brutal, both ways, in the Panhandle. Gotta be tough to be here! lol....God bless our ranchers and farmers who had to be out in this and take care of their animals, breaking the ice and feeding. I hope and pray for our fellow Texans who will be dealing with the fallout of this storm for quite a while....

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH