SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeg73

Keep low ceiling kitchen/mudroom or create sunken level "for height"?

A Gignac
3 years ago

Dilemma: We have a 1900's New Englander/Farmhouse style house (images below) that we've renovated in keeping with a vintage/farmhouse/eclectic style. We have renovated the inside all but the kitchen/mudroom area which is very outdated late 80's cabinetry, mismatched appliances, floors, etc. - the eyesore but it has functioned to cook many meals in and for that I realize/appreciate.

Problem: existing dining area, kitchen, mudroom ceilings are 6'10". No insulation under these floors/dirt crawl space. Wood-stove will remain centered in that location. We will open up mudroom into kitchen with pantry so it's not chopped up as it is now.

Our renovated living room is 8' 4" and has a visible viewpoint from the kitchen to this living room or vice versa.

I don't like the look of the low ceilings in comparison to the living room though we are short people but for both tall visitors and re-sale value etc, we know it's not ideal. Not sure if it's a code issue either here. Our kids have about 5 years before both could be away at college and not sure if we will eventually downsize. We will renovate kitchen regardless of which direction we go in...low ceiling or new/higher ceiling.

We can drop the floors down in the kitchen/mudroom but NOT in the dining area as that would make the basement ceilings too low (full basement below). So, that one low room would be the dining room which is just a round table that sits 6 and is part of a hallway to our downstairs bathroom. We can however lower floors in the kitchen because it sits over a dirt/crawl space. We cannot raise the ceiling without dropping floors due to our bedroom being above the kitchen. My husband wants to rip out the floors, lower them and take advantage of insulating that space as it's the coldest part of our house (we have wood-stove). We now have a fairly open/see through concept space and know that by dropping the floors down we would change that to some extent. There would need to be a step or two/landing area in the transition. Our kitchen floors are not the same as the living room (new rustic oak) but I think we would use tile if we were to do this for a visual change.

Thoughts???

I know we are switching one problem for another but we would save money on heating what is now a dirt/crawl space floor if we do this. It would look better in the kitchen but I don't know about the step issue??? I see a lot of people that hate sunken rooms, though this wouldn't be one room, it would be kitchen, mudroom, pantry/entry into the house. Just kinda stuck on which direction to move in.

Comments (18)