SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_753479426

Maintaining pierced ears

HU-753479426
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm hoping to get some advice from people on these forums - I have had single earlobe piercings since the early 70's and earrings are the only jewelry I wear regularly. Several years ago I had rotator cuff surgery and during the months of recovery and PT I didn't bother wearing any. When I resumed about about 9 months later, some of my earrings were uncomfortable on my left ear. I wear French wires, and have a lot of dangling earrings, some valuable, and most handmade. The ones that were uncomfortable were handmade and had thicker wires.

I lost one of my favorite Holly Yashi earrings at the airport in San Juan coming back from our first (and last) cruise last February when they asked me to take my scarf off going through security. When we got home, Covid hit and I haven't worn any earrings since then because I don't want to lose any taking off my masks.

I decided I should start wearing studs just to keep my ears from closing up, but the only studs I have are some of my most expensive earrings. I ordered an inexpensive pair from Etsy, but they were so flimsy I couldn't get the backs on them, so I ordered a pair of small "knots" online from Ross Simons -https://www.ross-simons.com/italian-18kt-gold-over-sterling-love-knot-stud-earrings-JXEX+930076+STD+K6.html

I like the way they look, but after a day of wearing them I couldn't tolerate sleeping with them so I took them out. When I put them back on this morning they made my ears so sore I took them right back off. Maybe they're too heavy? Maybe the posts are too thick? Now I'm back to square one and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any experience/advice to share?

Thank you so much,

seagrass

Comments (50)

• Fori
    3 years ago

For ignorable earrings that you can sleep in, I like simple hoops that close by completing the circle (I don't know what it's called). If they are small they shouldn't get in the way of masks.

Like this: https://www.ross-simons.com/sterling-silver-medium-endless-hoop-earrings.-1-1%2F2-quot--JAEX+843870+HOP+SS.html

They tend to be (necessarily I guess) lightweight but it's a very comfy style to ignore. Nothing snags sweaters (or masks) or pokes your head when you lie down.

HU-753479426 thanked Fori
  • Elizabeth
    3 years ago

It sounds like the piercing are narrowing and beginning to close up. I would wear a lightweight hoop earring with a medium size wire in the ear as much as tolerated. When they become comfortable I would move up to a heavier gauge wire and then add earrings with some weight later.

HU-753479426 thanked Elizabeth
  • Related Discussions

Man & Dog got matching ear piercings

Q

Comments (4)
    that is wrong. IMHO only a very egotistical (or possibly cruel) person would feel the need to mutilate their pet for their own flight of fancy. Also I'm quite surprised the owner found someone to do this to their dog, unless he did it himself??? Seems to me nowadays most vets are very conservative about mutilating pets for the owners whims. Many won't perform tail docking & most definitely not ear cropping. The AVMA is against it too. If I were acquainted w/the owner, I'd have a hard time not reporting him. But likely there'd be no punishment or consequences, so I guess it would be for naught. Here is a link that might be useful: American Vet. Med. Assn. Stance on docking & cropping
    ...See More

Ear Piercing

Q

Comments (1)
    Sending this one down . . .
    ...See More

Embarrassing Need For Help re/ Pierced earrings....Please.

Q

Comments (28)
    Oh! Thank you all so much! Did not expect much response...such a trivial thing, and at my age! Sharon, you made me happier with my decision. Before now, they seemed like too much to fiddle with as one who doesn’t wear jewelry daily...pre Covid. Thinking back, I realized that, opposite of you Ms.Fun, I always end up with my hair behind my ears, and a shiny or sparkle there does look so nice. Bbeeez, Yes, a tattoo place did the original. Oak and Nuts, had not considered hoops, thanks, but ones in pic are almost invisible . Now after taken the plunge, I wanna go big or go home...ha! Wish I could. Sigh, you all have convinced me ...I guess I’d best get starters...again. Phooey . Ded: “.... piercers who will pierce more than your ears!“ Goody! Maybe my nether regions? 😂😂🤣. PS. is everyone sneering at my emojis? Seems I’m the only one using them. I should stop, maybe?
    ...See More

I won't buy sleeper earrings again

Q

Comments (12)
    Wondering if you move your earrings so that skin and built up dead skin cells do not form harder pieces. Those pieces can stick to the metal and when the earring is removed it can irritate the surrounding skin, Think of it as using a coarse emery board on delicate tissue. When I started wearing them the suggestion was to take them out and clean the metal wire/post every three or so days to prevent this build up or at least move them within the hole. The skin is elastic enough that even a small amount of air reaching those dead skin cells can dry them.
    ...See More
  • liira55
    3 years ago

I have had my ears pierced since I was one month old. Growing up I wore small 18k gold hoops, slept with them on etc. As I got older I tried wearing stud earrings but no matter if they were fake or real gold, my lobes would swell and turn red. I now only wear the type of earrings that loop through and nothing touched my lobes. When I wear costume earrings, I find that green stuff is in the holes so tend just to wear real gold or silver ones.

HU-753479426 thanked liira55
  • socks
    3 years ago

You probably need 14 or 18 karat gold to prevent an allergic reaction to the other metals in inexpensive earrings. As for sleeping, studs poke the back of your head, don’t they? Light weight hoops are best.

HU-753479426 thanked socks
  • Elizabeth
    3 years ago

It depends on the length of the shaft of the stud earring if they poke your skull or not. I sleep with mine in and am no longer aware of them being there.

Never shower or wash you hair with your earrings in. Water gets trapped inside and bad things begin to grow.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

18k Solid gold, but hollow, so they're light weight. I don't sleep in mine. But I did wear them at the gym/pre-covid when I went to a gym, in the shower. The ends are sealed. ♥

HU-753479426 thanked nicole___
  • HU-753479426
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I sleep in a recliner because of several pain issues (left hip, right shoulder), so not on either side with my head on a pillow. I failed to mention that. And I have never had any problems with allergic reactions to various metals over the years (but I know people who have to be very careful about that). I think what Elizabeth said about the piercings narrowing and beginning to close up might be the issue.

I don't have any hoops. Maybe I'll call the jeweler where I have my watch batteries replaced and talk to them about it. I can take the pair of studs I just bought and see if they have a pair of small hoops with a thinner wire.

Nicole - those are really pretty!

seagrass

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I was putting my earrings in and the holes are starting to close up. I pushed one through, and heard the Pop as it broke through and I bled like crazy. I may have made a new hole.

I have 18k gold with wee diamond studs for my 2nd hole (can't wear garbage in that hole) and I have some cubic zirconia studs that I wear in my bottom hole of my lobe. Even that hole is getting fussy, where my regular cheap earrings are hurting me.

I'm currently cruising Amazon to look for some sleeper earrings that I can keep in all the time, and just switch out to different earrings when I'm going out, etc.

It's a maze trying to figure out the sizing, not too big and not too small. I'm looking at surgical steel and titanium.

HU-753479426 thanked Jasdip
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

HU=753479426.....Thank you! I purchased several "nice" pairs of earrings 33 years ago when several jewelry stores were going out of business. I paid as little as $8 for 14k seashell studs and up to $69 for diamonds & black pearls. ♥ The price of good solid gold has really gone up! I think your getting a lot of good advice......I like the idea of "dipping in an antibiotic".

HU-753479426 thanked nicole___
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Try putting in your regular earrings after the soreness goes away. It may be that you slightly tore or the stud was not as smooth as it appeared and it abraded your hole. Then if you have no problems try the studs for a day. It may be that the studs are of a type of metal that you now can not wear. If this is true your ear will probably be sore the next day. Also look at the back of the earring where the post is attached. I had one that the metal had torn just slightly at that area and it was cutting my ear.

Not your problem but I seldom wear my earrings and when I do I find I have difficulty inserting them from the front because that skin seems to grow over the hole. If I insert from the rear it will stretch the skin in front and not irritate or tear it so I can then insert the normal way. It also removes that small dead skin cell plug.

HU-753479426 thanked maifleur03
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Lever back earrings are the only ones that I have been able to sleep in.

Also, I have an allergy to nickel so can wear only 14 k gold and surgical stainless steel. I have a problem with most sterling silver; a lot of sterling silver is alloyed with nickel. Supposedly not if made in the USA but much of the silver jewelry is imported and may contain nickel. (Nickel allergies can develop at any age; once developed, there is no going back.)

HU-753479426 thanked ci_lantro
  • 4kids4us
    3 years ago

I’m lazy about changing earrings so I wear the same small hoop earrings most of the time. I only change them out if I have social plans or going somewhere where I am “dressing for the day” rather than just running errands or hanging out at home. Since the pandemic, I I don’t think I’be changed my earrings at all! My hoop earrings are similar to the ones Nicole posted - I have a gold pair that has kind of an etching/design on the hoop, and then I have a plain sterling silver pair. They both have the type of closure as the style in Nicole’s picture. I find this style to be comfortable for sleeping so I don’t have to worry about remembering to take them put when I go to bed.

When I was in college, I had my left lobe double pierced (hmm, was it a thing to double pierce just one back in the 80s?). I just wore a stud in it at all times, but only wore one in that second hole for a few years. It’s been 30 years since I wore an earring in that second hole, and you can’t see any remnant of a hole in the front of my lobe. However, it has not closed up all the way apparently b/c several times, I tried to put my earring in, and it goes part way into that old hole, even tho I can’t see it! I can only tell it’s the wrong spot b/c it has closed up on the back side so the post won’t go all the way through; it catches. Crazy to think it is still there even though I can’t see it!

HU-753479426 thanked 4kids4us
  • lily316
    3 years ago

Little weenie that I am, I cringed reading these threads. I wear no jewelry except a sterling silver chain with a tiny cat charm. Not even wedding or engagement rings. My hair has always covered my ears so I never wore earrings but my mother in law wanted to get me earrings at a fine jewelry store and have them pierce my ears. So that happened. I wore the original ones and used antibiotic ointment but could never get the hang of inserting them in my ears. I had my husband try and I'd be screaming. Then my left ear got infected and that was that. I have no idea what I did with the expensive earrings, but I was so glad to have my ears back and have never worn any since.

HU-753479426 thanked lily316
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I wear and sleep in a pair styled like this -

always. Sometimes only removing them if I have a hair appointment so in my ears at least 6 weeks at a time this last casual year. 14K or 18K white or yellow gold only, no costume jewelry or silver. If doing something more formal, I'll put in something more substantial but don't try to sleep in them. Or shower in them, blow out my hair while wearing them. If I take them out for a hair appointment, I'll put them in a lid of 91% rubbing alcohol for several minutes before inserting again.

I did have an allergy to something in the gold plated types, years ago when first piercing my ears. I don't know if I still have it, I haven't tried or found any reason to try ;0)

HU-753479426 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    3 years ago

I’m not wearing earrings at the moment, but I put them in every few months to keep the holes open. Thanks for reminding me that I need to do that!

HU-753479426 thanked socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I misread this and got very excited.

I'm currently cruising the Amazon

HU-753479426 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

I have had problems with mine trying to close for years. My earlobes are chubby /thick, which makes it difficult to keep the holes open. Plus I have allergies so now I only wear medical grade stainless steel or titanium. I started using larger and larger sizes of earrings, gauges. I don't want big holes but doing this now allows my holes to stay open. I can wear normal earrings but every once in a while I wear the bigger ones to keep them open to that size. When I take earrings out my holes are not visible. You may want to try something similar by using larger size wires to make your ear holes remain open.

These are the ones I use to keep them stretched open.

these are called huggies. They are small and are very comfortable to sleep in.

I often put antibiotic Ointment on the posts.

HU-753479426 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • robo (z6a)
    3 years ago

I just started wearing earrings again after a few years and got a pair of 14k sleepers. Easy, relatively inexpensive and I wear them 24/7. Works with masks and headsets as well.

as my kid ages/gets less violent I’ll probably upgrade the size.

I wonder if forcing your studs through is making your ears a little more sensitive to any non-hypoallergenic metal that might be present?

I’ve had to pop earrings through a few times in my life...never fun but the soreness went away within the day usually.

HU-753479426 thanked robo (z6a)
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

I agree with others 14K or 18K gold only. My sister is super sensitive to other metals besides gold and these never bother her.

Edit; when I was little, we would put some vaseline on the posts to help put them through.

HU-753479426 thanked gsciencechick
  • pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

For some reason my ear piercings seem to close up incredibly quickly so I wear earrings constantly. For me the most comfortable earrings are 14K gold or white gold endless loop earrings. The ones I have purchased in the last few years have just been off of Amazon. I even wear them lap swimming multiple times per week. Once I started swimming regularly I determined that white gold was necessary to avoid ugly tarnishing that you get on sterling silver earrings. When I do take earrings out, it's often a struggle to get them back in and closed, but I find it's best to be patient so you don't injure the piercing. If you do end up with a sore inflamed piercing, a non-iodized salt water soak can help soothe the piercing.

HU-753479426 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I have several pairs in 22K gold that are designed to be worn 24/7. You need to look for either loops the ends of which you can insert into the other side (first pic) or earrings that have a smooth back that screws into the thread of the front (second and third pics).

HU-753479426 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Being contrary I can not wear ones that are labeled as having surgical steel. About an hour after I put them in the ear lobe starts itching and swelling. Rather than antibiotic ointment I have always just used rubbing alcohol.

HU-753479426 thanked maifleur03
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

I quit wearing earrings after I retired, and my holes in my ear lobes closed up. They have always given me trouble. So I had them repierced in the same holes, and wear earrings 24 hours a day as a rule. I have given away the pairs that bother my ears, but I have found that dipping the wire or stud in antibiotic ointment or cortisone cream helps if problems seem to be developing. This time around, I returned to buying Napier brand earrings because their studs are stainless steel. I find them at Kohl's. And I am not having any problems. I think I will always have to wear earrings daily to keep the holes from closing up. And because I have lost nice earrings when I take off my mask, now I just wear the Napier, which are not expensive.

HU-753479426 thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • cawaps
    3 years ago

These might be the same as what Ravencajun suggested above. I have something similar in two-tone white & yellow gold that I wear ALL THE TIME. It's been years since I've changed my earrings. Very comfy, light, don't poke you in your sleep.

HU-753479426 thanked cawaps
  • Bluebell66
    3 years ago

I have always had problems with my piercings. They were done with a needle in an old-time jewelry store when I was 14. I have never been able to wear post-style earrings, nor can I sleep with any earrings in. I have to wear lightweight, thin wire regardless of style. I can even do cheap metal as long as they are thin. Maybe, like me, you just can't wear posts?

One time many years ago as a teen my ears became infected, so I went without earrings for a few weeks then decided I wanted to try them again. This was before I figured out I can't wear posts. I couldn't get them in myself, so my mom helped me by pushing one of the thick post "starter" earrings through, and she made a new hole on the back of my lobe. I'll never forget the pain or our horror at what she had done. ;)

HU-753479426 thanked Bluebell66
  • chisue
    3 years ago

I dab my ear lobes with alcohol or an antibiotic cream at the first sign of soreness -- clean the earrings, too. I don't wear any jewelry to bed -- not even my diamond engagement/wedding band these days. I've gone months without earrings without the holes closing up; probably a sign of old age!

HU-753479426 thanked chisue
  • Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I soak my earring in alcohol while I shower. Hours later when my ears are very dry, I put the earrings in. My DG had problems with ear infections from showering and not keeping them clean. While she was visiting I had her rub triple antibiotic on the post and re-inserting them. They were fine in a few days.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Thanks to you all, I learned to use rubbing alcohol and not hydrogen peroxide when dabbing my ears and soaking my earrings, as I was doing. Peroxide takes the gold finish off, apparently.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Interesting! I have had pierced ears for YEARS and never any sign of them growing closed, no matter how long I went without earrings. In fact, I once tried to let them grow closed! When I was younger, I did have problems with certain materials, but that doesn't seem to happen now. I absolutely hate post earrings so only wear hoops, wires, etc.

HU-753479426 thanked Tina Marie
  • jupidupi
    3 years ago

I'm very squeamish about piercings of any kind, to the point where I once felt faint when I was in line behind someone who was adjusting her earring. If I want to decorate my earlobes, I use stick-on rhinestones. They stay on fine for an evening. You can a whole sheet of them for a couple of dollars at craft stores.

HU-753479426 thanked jupidupi
  • pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

@Bluebell66 I have a cartilage piercing in one ear and a similar thing happened to me. I was in high school playing sports and had it pierced in the summer. That season they changed the rules that you could no longer wear earrings with tape over them during games and so we were forced to take it out for the game before it had fully healed. That night my mom helped put the earring back in but the back had closed up some and she pierced a second hole in the back. We didn't know until the next game when we had to take it out again. Similarly I had my ears pierced with guns in the mall when I was a teen. I still wear an earring in the piercing, but I almost never take it out.

HU-753479426 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • HU-753479426
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I tried on a pair of my thinnest French wire lightweight earrings this morning and both ears were uncomfortable, moreso the left side, both inserting them and wearing them so I took them out. I'm very discouraged. I am going to try cleaning the wires with alcohol and using antibiotic cream as discussed by a few of you. I never cared for wearing post earrings, either, although I have some very expensive ones.

seagrass

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I also prefer hoops to studs. I have some wire hoops in both gold and silver that look like this, but larger diameter:

When I was younger, I would sleep in that style with no problem, but I didn't toss and turn as much as I do now, so I don't wear any jewelry to bed now.

I also haven't been wearing any earrings except for a few times over the past year and I've experienced a bit of discomfort putting them in as well. When that happens, I use peroxide or rubbing alcohol to wet the end, then put it through my ear. I like the idea of antibiotic ointment, as that would be even more lubricating. Definitely agree making sure earrings are clean and sanitized is always a good practice.

FWIW, my skin has a tendency to easily form scars(keloids) which may have something to do with why different people have different experiences with piercings.

HU-753479426 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Alisande
    3 years ago

I've always had a problem with ear piercings closing and/or reacting to earrings, in severe cases becoming infected. I learned to dip the wires in Neosporin before putting them in my ears. This has helped me a lot.

HU-753479426 thanked Alisande
  • isabellagracepan
    3 years ago

It sounds like a reaction to the metal. Over time I have become completely sensitive to any metal except gold. My earlobes ache and feel sore with anything else, which sounds like the sensation you are describing.

HU-753479426 thanked isabellagracepan
  • Ded tired
    3 years ago

Wow, one more thing to think about as I work up the courage to have rotator cuff surgery. Right now I wear gold hoops every day but take them out at night.

HU-753479426 thanked Ded tired
  • tami_ohio
    3 years ago

If you have a nickel allergy, try the earrings from Simply Whispers. You can get very inexpensive up to what I would call expensive. I do have a nickel allergy, and Simply Whispers was recommended to me by someone who has a worse nickel allergy than I do. She couldn't even wear a watch without fabric between the watch and her skin. She made ruffly fabric "bracelets" to wear under her watch. I was very pleased with the earrings I got from there. They have since started carrying watches and necklaces. It has been a few years since I have purchased from them, so I can't say what their prices are like now, or what all they carry.

As for my holes closing, my top holes have closed in the back, so I can only get earrings in part way, and have given up. I don't wear earrings all the time, and my bottom holes will start to close. When that happens, I find my heaviest pair with thin fishhook wires and wear those for a couple of hours to stretch the holes, then put in a pair of piercing studs that I get at Sally's beauty supply. Clean my ears well, clean the studs, and then wear those for at least a few days. If I get a sore ear I will dip the piercing studs in Neosporin and wear them again for a few days. I have learned that sleeping on a foam pillow makes it more uncomfortable to wear earrings to sleep in, where as a feather pillow, or one with foam pieces, is easier.

HU-753479426 thanked tami_ohio
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

I ordered 2 sets from Amazon. One is a set of 6 stainless-steel, hypoallergenic sleepers. They're tiny, I'm only wearing the largest of the hoops. The smallest ones I'll give to a g/f who has her cartilage pierced.

hypo-allergenic sleepers

The other ones are coloured hoops with a silver centre. I have them in my second hole so I'm wearing the sleeper and these. They too are tiny.

But after 3 days, no pain at all. I can definitely wear these sets all the time.

Huggie coloured earrings

• HU-753479426
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jasdip - Thank you. I ordered a pair of sleeper hoops from Amazon. Similar to what you linked to, but not the same brand (couldn't find them - I'm in the US). I have been wearing a very lightweight pair of 14K gold earrings that are basically just a long continuous thin wire that are twisted into a spiral in the front. My left ear is still sore, but not as bad. I have been dabbing bacitracin ointment on the front and back of my earlobes and pulling the wire back and forth through the piercing, but have not removed them.

seagrass

• Oakley
    3 years ago

I need to buy more super thin gold hoops to wear full time again. But I did discover a ridiculously painless & easy way to open up those holes that have been closed for a long time, and it's also a way to clean the inside of the holes too.

I discovered this while flossing my teeth while using my famous 10x magnifying mirror. The floss I use is a DenTek Floss Pick

I hadn't worn earrings in months and when I do put them in, it's like some of the skin has grown back.

One night while flossing I looked at my lobes and saw a tiny bit of dirt inside the very front and I got the bright idea to use the sharp pick to get it out. Not only did it get the dirt out it painlessly went through my lobe and opened it back up.

So I do it every night after I floss. The pick is very sharp which is why it doesn't hurt.

Gross I know, but hey, what else does one do? lol

HU-753479426 thanked Oakley
  • sjerin
    3 years ago

Well, isn't this timely, Oakley! One of my holes has closed up and I haven't dealt with it yet. I don't know if I'd have the courage to do what you did but I figured I'd put a match to a needle to sterilze, and give that a go. This'll be my back-up plan. :)

• KATHY
    3 years ago

I didn’t wear earrings in my second hole for months and was having a hard time getting the earring thru so my sister got it through, they were tender for a few weeks but I have kept the small hoops in since we got it through and they are not sore anymore. Uncomfortable sleeping at first but not what I would call painful. All is well now

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    3 years ago

I can't wear earrings with nickel and my diamond studs have posts that are too long to sleep in. The stud are not in a good setting and the cut is not very good either so they are very boring.

I just received these from Etsy and they are so pretty!! They are very light weight and don't bother my ears at all.

Here is the link. I am going to order another pair in gold with different tile.

Earrings

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Stainless steel can contain nickel. And, just read:

There are some grades of surgical stainless steel that contain nickel and thus if you’re super sensitive to nickel you’d have to settle for earrings made from a different metal or metal alloy

And:

316L grade stainless is Surgical Steel. It’s a low nickel steel used in surgical instruments, and other medical equipment. It’s considered hypoallergenic, and won’t get gross tarnish or rust.

304 grade stainless is even better. It’s lower nickel than 316L, which makes it an even better choice if you have a nickel sensitivity. It also wont get nasty tarnish or rust.

After not having worn earrings in years, my piercings have closed up. The last few months, I've been wanting to wear earrings again so I'm happy Hu....486 started this thread.

I've ordered an ear piercing kit & waiting for it to arrive. Initially, I DIY'ed my ears....but muffed up one ear--the piercing angled downwards which sometimes caused me problems getting the earring thru the hole. So I ordered the gun kit in hopes to avoid that problem this time!

HU-753479426 thanked ci_lantro
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Then again, I found this info from Bergsen Metals:

Medical grade stainless steels are part of the austenitic stainless steel family, a category known for its high formability and exceptional corrosion resistance. Grades 304 and 316 stainless steels contain high levels of nickel which provide additional chemical properties, making them suitable for use within the extreme demands of the medical industry.

What to believe?! All I know is that I have a nickel allergy but don't react to a couple of watches that have SS backs. Perhaps there is something intrinsic about SS or some SS that keeps the nickel locked down & non-reactive? And so it's OK for some people with a nickel allergy but maybe not for those who are highly allergic to nickel?

• Alisande
    3 years ago

Has anyone mentioned titanium? My daughter-in-law reacts to nickel and silver, but does well with titanium posts or hooks.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

If you are self-piecing remember that the opening should be parallel to the floor. Otherwise your earrings will either be pointed upward or droop downwards.

• HU-753479426
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, I purchased a pair of surgical stainless steel sleeper hoop earrings, 14 mm. They are hinged on the bottom and seemed to securely couple once through my earlobe. My left ear has been the biggest problem, and I used bacitracin as recommended, and both ears have been doing well. I had planned just to keep this pair in for a few months. However, I woke up from a nap this afternoon and the earring in my right ear is nowhere to be found....so I have one of my French wire earrings in the right ear. IDK...

seagrass

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

f you are self-piecing remember that the opening should be parallel to the floor. Otherwise your earrings will either be pointed upward or droop downwards.

YES! I self pierced my ears with a needle when I was 15 or 16 YO. One ear was fine; the other one was wonky. That's why I ordered one of those piercing guns for this time & will enlist help to keep things on the level. I always wore hoops or smallish dangles so the off kilter piercing wasn't obvious but it was annoying to thread the hole when changing earrings.