SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

San Miguel de Allende - Houzz Road trip!?

mtnrdredux_gw
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Suddenly I'm hearing about this place everywhere, clearly they hired a PR firm.

Anyone been? Sounds so pretty and wow the places on Air BnB are TDF.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/under-the-spell-of-san-miguel-de-allende-71084706/

Comments (156)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I look at it this way. If we are in a group house, I think that has to be all people from this forum.

For those who want to go to SMdA but not be in the group house, I think most, perhaps all of the group house activities would be for singles, not couples

If someone is staying on their own (whether or not they bring their spouse), maybe they would only join the group (solo) for 1 or 2 things --- totally up to them.

And if enough DH/SOs end up being around, maybe we could also have one or two couple events

If someone wants to bring a SO before or after, obv that has no impact on the group.

• texanjana
    3 years ago

Btw, this hotel comes highly recommended by my travel advisor peeps. They also offer lots of activities including cooking classes. It looks like they also offer a villa with seven bedrooms. https://www.belmond.com/hotels/north-america/mexico/san-miguel-de-allende/belmond-casa-de-sierra-nevada/accommodation

• Related Discussions

Show me your overhead porch lights!

Q

Comments (10)
    Love the dimmers! We have 14-15 cans spread out around our 8' deep porch. Porch wraps around 32x46' house. Don't know the spacing off hand. I can check. The back door has the dimmer. The lights can be turned off/on at any door to the pre-set level. We also have fans on the back off the kitchen/dining area. My only requirement was to have the fans be between the lights, far enough apart as to not have a strobe effect. Dad did the placement. When the lights are really low it looks like moonlight coming in all first floor windows... Excellent glow. Pic of porches. Jen
    ...See More

OT - I will be AWOL for a while

Q

Comments (19)
    Thought I would check in. We are in San Miguel de Allende and it is a really beautiful city. We bought some fresh strawberries the other day & made a pitcher of margaritas - only I had forgotten to make ice. OH WELL - we drank them anyway! :) Everyone has been really nice and helpful. We have only seen one fabric shop and the quality wasn't very good. The best buy they had was polar fleece for $39peso a meter - about $2.75 a meter! I didn't buy any, but it was fun to look. Linda, I hope you had fun in Boulder. Thanks for all of the well wishes & for following us - we'll keep you posted. Adios! Sue
    ...See More

RE: Spanish Revival/Mexican/Mediterranean Style - Part IX

Q

Comments (150)
    BinsB How GREAT! I'd guess by now the 'kids' are knocking from the outside - yes? Paleese post a pic if you can. We'd all (I'm sure) love to see your accomplishments :-))) after waiting soooo long. Love the orange colors of the nursery but mmm - are they really going to sleep in one crib? :-)) Just kidding. When you have time, which likely won't be for awhile I'm sure, would love to see the nursery with the paper flowers, et al. Not to worry about the non-span house of present. It's the spirit inside that can carry it thru. Imagine what a tough time I have in my location. LOL!! You'll have lotsa fun (when/if you can find the time) doing some special stuff in your new abode. Trop - hmmm pictures this year? LOL! That will be fun to see. I'll look forward (but won't hold my breath too awfully long). :-))) I'm thinking maybe you just eliminated the kitchen altogether and are doing take out now? Houseful it's great to have you posting again. Perhaps you can help us breathe some life back into this thread as I know Bins is going to be rather busy over the next while. :-)) If it weren't for her dedication, I'm sure this thread would no longer exist. I have a few things on my plate but hopefully they will be resolved shortly and I can return to my decorating love. And speaking of thread(s), I didn't check but I'm thinking we must be getting close to limit - yes? Should we be starting a new thread? Waddya all think? Take care all, Holly
    ...See More

Girlz (and boyz) GTG

Q

Comments (32)
    Great suggestions. I've been to a few of those but it's been years. I'm flexible since I don't have any other definite travel plans. DH and I will take another lazy drive around PA to visit family and friends but we'll schedule that for October. My best friend and I are taking our daughters to Ireland but at this point we're just waiting to find out when things re-open and hoping we can go late summer or early fall. Thanks Mtn for following through on the GTG - It's something to really look forward to after this abysmal year.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know Belmond! We stayed at one in Cuzco and Machu Pichu. Thx, texanjana

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

Be assured that, although I would not travel to Mexico without my DH, he has no interest in staying in a group home rental, or participating in our group activities. We’d rent our own Airbnb or hotel room, and he would do his own thing for those few days. Golfing? Art galleries? Fishing? Whatever. A group dinner once or twice, if that comes about, would be it for him.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked LynnNM
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

Wow! That hotel looks fabulous, texanjana! I love the idea of a cooking class.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bbstx
  • texanjana
    3 years ago

Someone needs to rent the presidential suite so we can sit on that terrace.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

If I can make the trip it would be solo - DH isn't up to traveling but he is always urging me to take a trip. Ooh - that doesn't sound the way I meant it. He wants me to enjoy myself and I've gone to Europe several times with a girlfriend and we had 2 more trips planned that we had to cancel due to Covid. Either an Air B&B or boutique hotel would be fine.

I don't remember what dates I may have checked on the survey (after submitting it you can't re-open) but at the moment I don't have anything planned. DS#2 is considering a small wedding but they're thinking of Thanksgiving or Christmas. Philly doesn't have direct flights and from Newark, NJ the flights are 6 hours, plus shuttle time. That's a long travel day - how does that work out for everyone else? It's doable but might limit other activities.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It is a long day from the East coast. I'd prob go a day early, IDK. But i wouldn't want a bedraggled debut. I need to live up to my avatar!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

BTw, Lynn, Maire --- weddings! Oooooooh! exciting

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

Mtn- I was thinking the same thing, an extra day might be nice.

Oh yes - congrats Lynn. As MOB you'll have so much more to do than I will.

As for DS's wedding - it's been a long time coming. He just turned 40 and we were concerned he'd let her slip away. She's smart, successful (a precious metals trader), low-key, easy to talk to and fits right in with the family dynamic, a genuinely lovely young woman.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

My dh has waived off. He travels a lot for work (or used to, pre-covid,) and Mexico was a work destination. This would be sort of a busman's holiday for him. So. I'll be solo.

• jmck_nc
    3 years ago

I surprised myself by taking the survey and considering attending. My husband just retired and that gives me more freedom to plan things that take me away from my caregiving responsibilities. I am definitely introverted and would need to stay in a hotel and have plenty of time to be on my own, but would love to meet anyone/everyone!

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

It's a full day of travel for me too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jojoco, I will probably have my DH join me either the last day if we do a couples dinner… Depending upon how many people might be interested in that… Or after the trip ends.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

Sounds like a done deal. Can I start shopping for my SMdA wardrobe now?

ps Thank the lord for mtn and all those like her. I can barely organize a dinner party for 4.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I know dates aren't set, but just want to toss out the thought to have at least a portion of the get-together part of the trip fall on the weekend for those of us who have strict workweek schedules (and are trying to conserve vacation days).

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I looked at flights last night. Where is everyone flying into?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi, yes, absolutely. That is why I suggested Jan 14-17 (which also includes a holiday).

BBSTX, I think Leon.

BTW, they have so many adorable hotels. I love this one: https://l-otelgroup.com/

And then these are just random photos of hotels in the area

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Well, I stupidly waved my hands in the air before I looked at what’s involved in getting there. For me it would be 2 planes, 8-10 hours, then a 2 hour drive from the airport (in what? a taxi? bus?) to the town. I’m just not quite that adventurous traveling solo especially for essentially a long weekend. I would love to meet my imaginary GW friends sometime, but would prefer something a bit closer, in the US, maybe along the lines of Savannah or Charleston or, I don’t know, Chicago? (Not in dead of winter, obviously!) Maybe I’ll catch the 2023 trip!

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

@sueb - similar itinerary for me - I figure I’ll connect with someone else for the ground transport once I get there. We’re not really traveling solo. I decided to bone up on my Spanish - something to work on over the next year.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

Sueb - you're not alone in considering the logistics. Flying out of Philly would involve 2 flights and a full day of travel. I'd only do that to attend a family wedding or if I were staying for more than a week. Newark airport does offer direct flights but it's still a full day of travel and I haven't investigated the transfer from airport to hotel or time zones (I think it's only an hour difference). It's only a possibility for me if I stayed longer and traveled with another GWer. DH wondered if I'm just trying too hard to 'get out of town.' and he might be right. But it does sound like a intriguing sleepover.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Thanks, SueB. For me, personally, Charleston would be great once things are safer (BTW everything is open now and never really closed). And maybe we could look at that as well as another GTG. I'd really prefer something within the US for easier travel, but Charleston obviously super easy for me. Also, I am in a hub airport so getting almost anywhere is fairly easy with one flight.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

I can't even seem to figure out how long it would take me to get there as (I'm assuming due to Covid restrictions on travel from here?) it is showing that there are no flights to anywhere even remotely close - not even Mexico City. That's why I was thinking I would make it part of a longer family trip, if the timing worked.

ETA: I"m up for whatever destination if it gets changed.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Daisy, I agree. I was talking to my cousin who has been there and the logistics are not easy.

I hate to miss out on a gathering but I too would prefer a different destination.

I agree with gscience about a location in the US.

From what I hear, this town attracts senior citizens who rent homes seasonally. Walking through town is like being in America!

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I feel silly for not realizing that the airports are not "right there." Having to travel an additional hour or more to reach the location does add an extra layer. It would make for a full arrival day.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day ladies!

From NYC, there are several non-stops. It is 5.5 hours duration, and so with an hour time difference you arrive 4.5 hours after you leave. It is then about an hour to the city... for that I would arrange transport with the host (since they provide a maid and cook I am sure they could provide/arrange transport). I'd imagine it's be more than one of us coming in at the same time sharing the transport.

Personally, I always prefer to go somewhere new. The SMdA expat population is 10% they say, but that hardly seems like walking around in the US, to me (not to mention the architecture). I am 99% going to SMdA for those who are interested. Looking at the hotels and restaurants and shops on line, I am smitten.

In any event, keep the ideas about alternates coming and I will do another survey. I think many destination suggested would have to be done in May or September, so the permutations multiply.

PS I have been whisked off to a mini staycation so won't be posting as I m not allowed on my electronics today!

• hcbm
    3 years ago

I travel to South America often. Travel to the destination from the airport almost anywhere I have been in Latin America is at least an hour. Small towns don't have airports, and large cities need the space and push airports out to the burbs/countryside. In NYC, JFK is an hour from Manhattan and more during rush hour.

This type of town is not my usual destination. Though it certainly looks like fun. I have different concerns. As I read the news from Latin America I think it will be unlikely that Mexico and most of Central, and South America will be Covid safe in a year. It is predicted by those governments to take at least a year and a half before they will have herd immunity. I am more than willing to join the group, but only if and when the general population of Mexico has been vaccinated and friends inform me it is safe. If this changes I am ready willing and able.

As for other destinations, Canada comes to mind. Our northern neighbor is vast, and I have not taken the time to explore a lot of it. Of course, this would mean a spring/summer trip, unless we are doing winter sports. Anywhere in Europe is wonderful, and I bet most have not toured a lot of Eastern Europe. Again a warmer weather destination for most.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

I think it's a huge undertaking to try to find a location and timeframe that works for everyone who'd like to go on a GW travel adventure. More than huge-- unrealistic. No plan is going to work for everyone-- and maybe not even the majority. As I've said previously, timing is unlikely to work for me and that's ok-- but still i am SO appreciative of the time and thought Mtn put into proposing this trip. It gives me some hope and a more positive outlook for traveling again in the semi foreseeable future.

Once we can start traveling and gathering safely, i am sure there will continue to be smaller group gatherings.. and as always, we'll each get to pick and choose which gatherings most align with our travel preferences, our interests and our schedules.

Thanks for all you do for our lil community, Mtn.. and i hope you enjoy your mini staycation escape! <3

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Absolutely! Mtn is incredibly generous and her spirit of adventure is downright contagious! I do hope the SMdA trip comes to fruition, and I would absolutely love to be a part. It's early days still and much still TBD, but I do think that this discussion, and all that we are able to discover through it, is so exciting!

Enjoy your special time away, Mtn. Then come back and tell us where you've been!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

As happens with these things, I'm torn. A long way to go for a short vacation and I'd be going solo. But it would be so much fun to get some place warm and interesting and spend time with all you wonderful posters.

So for now, I'll watch and wait and see how it gels and then may decide to join you...or not...

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

Well said, Funky.

Living in the middle of yahootsville, we are pretty much used to it being a full day of travel to get anywhere. It is just what travel is for us. When the kids were little, we based our travel choices on whether or not there was a direct flight and our choices were very limited. Now, we go where want and just build in the extra day of travel time.

ETA: Covid issues are definitely another factor. As I said, I can't even seem to see any flights to Mexico right now. It's a different world and who knows what travel will look like in a year. I'm still excited about the possibility. Wish it would be easy for everyone to get there, but I get not wanting to do a full day travel esp. on your own.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

We are 10 minutes from an international airport so spoiled in that regard. Well, at least used to planes flying overhead. But you're right, that getting to the destination often (or usually) adds an extra layer of travel, which is what I was trying to convey. It was three and a half miserable hours on a bus to get to our destination in Panama. About a half hour in Los Cabos or more, depending on where we've stayed. A 45 minute drive in Iceland, and occasionally hours by train or coach in the UK. So of course it isn't an anomaly to have to add that extra layer; just something to be aware of when considering such a trip, maybe especially for some who would be going solo.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Ya, Covid is the biggest wild card for me. Now that I'm retired the extra travel time doesn't bother me. That would have been more of an issue when I was working - taking two extra days of PTO just to get back and forth. Since Delta bought Northwest airlines years ago, our great non-stop flights to most any where have pretty much disappeared so I've kind of gotten used to longer travel days. Getting to and from the final destination might concern me more if I was going on a solo trip but this isn't really solo - just the flight there and back.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

Also, full disclosure: I am super excited to meet you all, but a large part of my excitement of planning a trip to Mexico may stem from the fact that we are in the middle of a Polar Vortex. It is -31 C (-29 F) right now and has been similar temp for days. Wah! Don't ask me why I live here, I have no idea.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Well I live in Texas to get nippy winters but avoid this nonsense, and it's headed all the way into Mexico, so even living in the subtropics wouldn't completely spare you on this one. Our temps should stay above zero -- only the windchill will be below. Our homes aren't built for this and it's a bit frightening -- makes tropical anything more appealing at the moment.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

At this point, I'm 100% focused on getting DH and I fully vaccinated, and then life may return to something more normal...then we can think about traveling again.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The timing of the trip is based on the assumption that everyone would be vaccinated by next January (I certainly hope so).

I think we would need to commit 120 days in advance (which was okay with most) so that'd mean, at the earliest, a group would need to commit by around Labor Day. Since the vast majority want their own bedrooms, and houses with more than 6ish bedrooms are rare, all we really need to get a trip going is 6 people willing to commit to the trip and house. Once that core is established, anyone else who wants to join in activities or meals, can book accommodations nearby. I would view the rental home as a site for at least one group dinner and as a rendezvous point for activities.

With 40 respondents, 15% would have to come through for the trip to work:

So, I think this basic approach should be workable. One core group commits to a house 120 days in advance, and any one who wants to can glom on in whatever fashion they want, at any time thereafter.

As far as SMdA specifically, here is my thought process. For me, the starting point for the idea of the trip was going someplace new, and then I was thinking that, given the nature of the place, with its combo of gorgeous architecture and gardens, and some fairly avant garde design, that it was a good spot for this group. I also noticed that the pricing for private homes was very attractive; eg the lovely and highly rated place I posted, with 6BR and 7.5 BA, was ~$825 a night. The logistics are a bit of a pain as you cannot fly right in, but to me that is not that uncommon for interesting locations. Tulum was similar, St John was similar. For Texans and Californians, it's a bit easier. But then East Coast destinations may be harder for them.

In any event, let's everyone throw out some alternatives, and I can work up another survey. So far I heard Charleston, Savannah, Chicago? Others? When you recommend a place, recommend a month for it, too...that makes a big difference.

One thing personally is that I can imagine that (all in) it could cost just as much for me to go to, say, Charleston as to SMdA. I'd really have to think about whether that would interest me, since while it is lovely, it is not a new destination for me and I would not go there again otherwise. YMMV.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I like to think I'm always up for Santa Fe (especially in the fall), but if I'm honest, I don't know that I'd be willing to take time away from my own agenda in that area to attend meetups.

I've not been to Sedona. Anything there to recommend it as a possibility?

I've heard that Santa Barbara is lovely. What about Carmel?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Those are exactly the kind of places I am thinking of. But. I think I have been to Santa Fe 5 times, Sedona 3 times, and Santa Barbara I've lost count. Not saying they are definite "no's" for me, but personally they make less sense than combining a Houzz GTG with a new, and interesting destination.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

FWIW like Mtn, I'm probably not likely to go somewhere I've already been and I've been to the above mentioned places as well. I'm intrigued by the adventure of SMdA along with a warm destination in the midst of the MN winter. Hopefully I will have received the jab (a 95% effective one) by Sept and we won't have a new variant for which it's not effective.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 3katz4me
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I still very much like the idea of SMdA. I'm not sure whether I like the idea more than anything, but at least it's something to continue to ponder. I've been intrigued by the thought of going there for quite some time, but DH always wanted to go to a beach in Mexico, so that's not something that was ever on our list. It looks so charming, though, so I'm definitely not discounting it at this point.

I completely understand not wanting to return to a place you've already visited numerous times. I'd not particularly care to go back to Chicago, for instance, and I've never really had a desire to see the southernmost cities of the U.S. The problem with an exercise of this magnitude is trying to find a "one size fits all" location, and as has been stated upthread, that's just not a possibility.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked IdaClaire
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

SMdA has the greatest appeal for me. When we used to take trips with DH’s family, I suggested SMdA as a destination. One couple had lived in Mexico in their younger years and were up for going. The other two couples (a/k/a the perpetual wet blankets of the group) did not want to go. That pretty much killed it. Nevertheless, I’ve always wanted to go.

With DH’s illness, I’m going to have to learn to travel without him. This group seems to be a good way to start. Of course, the flipside of that coin is that with DH’s illness, I may have to bail at any time. However, I would continue to be financially responsible for any commitment that I had made that the group had relied upon.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bbstx
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Correct, we won't find a OSFA. We can only hope to find an optimal solution, and/or create a template for other trips! : )

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Just remembered that I have airmiles on AA set to expire in September of this year, and plugging in hypothetical dates as far out as possible in 2022, there are some easy nonstops to QRO from DFW. Looking more and more attractive, actually. That makes it even more of a possibility for me.

ETA: And seriously -- less than $100/night (hypothetical Jan 2022 dates)!?! That's pretty amazing.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32362300?adults=1&federated_search_id=c29b3913-5d36-4e72-b34a-14e3941b54d6&source_impression_id=p3_1613416656_9l%2FmpGZV4TGFP1sk&guests=1&check_in=2022-01-06&check_out=2022-01-10

And views of another one that's priced only slightly higher ... Lovely!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked IdaClaire
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Is it better to fly into BJX or QRO? Somehow I came up with BJX.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL re DH.

SueB, No worries, I think we should consider options. We have plenty of time. As I said, I think Labor Day is really the deadline to make plans.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

Having looked at a few flights I think it's likely that some of us would end up on a connecting flight to our final destination and could even plan for that. So someone who is not so adventurous about navigating a strange, foreign destination could team up with others. I really don't think it will be that difficult. We'll figure out the ground transportation in advance and with lots of Americans traveling here, there should be decent options for that.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

For me, going some place that is unknown to all is more attractive than going somewhere where anyone has already been. It’s the discovery process that is intriguing and would be fun for all of us, not just a few. Just thinking of all the ways we can view and share those new things we see in different ways will be fun in and of itself.

I can definitely plan 120 days out and now am looking forward to it even more as we zero in on a date.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FWIW, per Travel and Leisure: The closest major airports are Del Bajío International Airport in Guanajato, and Querétaro Intercontinental Airport in Querétaro — between an hour and 15 minutes and an hour and a half away from San Miguel de Allende.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert