SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_voshell

Would a pendant light look okay in this small, open space?

S Voshell
3 years ago

My husband and I are currently remodeling a 1990s kitchen on a tight, retired couple’s budget. We are painting the kitchen, the cabinets, adding a backsplash, and installing new flooring which will run through the adjacent family room as well. The decorations, window blinds, and pot hanger are history.

My husband and I live alone and were tired of sitting at bar stools. We chose a small table and chairs that fit neatly into the space behind the peninsula, formerly occupied by the barstools. They will be painted.

My question has to do with lighting. We have under the cabinets lighting for the countertops and recessed lights on the ceiling for overall lighting. Those are not changing. Would it look strange to put a pendant light or small chandelier over the table and chairs? In my mind, it would help define that space and add another layer of lighting. However, if I center it over the table, midway along the peninsula, it’s off center from my kitchen windows. I’m a symmetrical person, which makes me concerned that it would throw things off-balance. Opinions?

I did see a lighting article on Houzz regarding off-centered lighting, but I realize there’s a fine line between something being quirky and adding interest versus something looking off-balanced.

And before we get started, please focus on helping me with the lighting. The rest is planned out and scheduled, and I’m not looking for any changes elsewhere. That ship has sailed, lol.

The attached picture is all I have for now as they have already begun the renovation, which means the contents of my kitchen are currently shoved into my family room. If it helps, the family room is typical - fireplace surrounded by two chairs across from a couch with some accent tables and a TV/stand tossed in. They are all anchored with an area rug.

i welcome any help/suggestions you can give to send me in the right direction. I appreciate designer/decorators’ skill sets as this is not my forte.

Comments (6)