SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanzliks_hanzlik

what's the earliest thing you remember

sal 60 Hanzlik
3 years ago

I remember sleeping with my Grandfather on a feather mattress--I must have been 2 or 3 years old.

Comments (46)

• Lars
    3 years ago

I remember being at a picnic in one of our pastures with my cousin, who had come to live with us after his mother died. I must have been four at the time, and I remember my cousin's classmates being very friendly, especially the girls. My cousin and I looked a lot alike back then - we both had platinum blond hair. I was sad when he joined the navy and moved away, even though I was able to move into his bedroom.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I remember walking along the seashore in England holding hands with my mom and gran. (2 or 3 years old)

• Related Discussions

What are your EARLIEST spring bloomers for vase?

Q

Comments (10)
    The old fashioned pulmonaria that people called lungwort and that spreads rather than clumps like the newer cultivars has beautiful, deep blue flowers of surprising size. Also, though hellebores are gorgeous, the blooms hang down. I find they look best floating in shallow bowls. There are new cultivars with more upright flowers, but they are still very expensive. Helleborus foetidus, with its chartreuse flowers, however, would look very interesting in arrangements.
    ...See More

When's the earliest you've had sprouts?

Q

Comments (11)
    My first record of sprouts last year was Jan 21. I had a lot of them. Here's what I had by the first week of February. Trailing carnations dianthus - pinks maiden, sweet william, albus alyssum (sprouted in early Jan, mostly dead) bee balm - violet queen, lemon mint salvia - blue bedder, rose queen, blue queen larkspur - earl grey coreopsis - red hollyhocks - white, indian summer, yellow, double yellow, rose, mixed echinacea - Tennesseensis, magnus, bravado, paradox, white swan nicotiana - purple, sylvestres shasta daisy mix columbine - purple, burgundy white lancer lily cupid's dart linaria foxglove - white/purple poppy - unknown red hibiscus - giant red rudbeckia - goldstrum, autumn colors maltese cross scabiosa - cream, white sea holly mountain bluet buddelia - black knight lambs ear catchfly - blue angel, german liatris - white dame's rocket jupiter's beard agastache - white Queen Anne's Lace mock orange beauty bush lettuce salad bowl lettuce spinach red cabbage golden acre cabbage red carrot autumn king carrot virginia stock
    ...See More

What are your earliest risers?

Q

Comments (20)
    Two of my most consistant early risers,both here in north-central Illinois and northern Arkansas have been 'Serendipity' and 'Ginko Craig', so I use them to tell me when to remove winter mulch. Nothing is up yet here in Illinois in the way of hostas, but crocus and daffodil are in bloom. Yesterday we set a new record high at 69F. Last year my early riser broke surface on March 19th. But we had more rain last year. I believe that is part of the formula. Les
    ...See More

Which GW members do you remember and what do you remember them for?

Q

Comments (39)
    I often think about squirrel and her photoshop generosity. I think she decided to turn her skill into a business. I hope it worked out. There was a poster that lived in AZ and had health issues. (Eileen?) Her posts were very polarizing but I occasionally wonder if she is well. It's interesting that some people seem to get obsessed with this site, post like crazy, bare their soul and then vanish.
    ...See More
  • User
    3 years ago

I vaguely remember being so sick mom made a bed for me on the couch in the living room. I have a picture of me laying there and not sure if it's a memory I remember, or a memory because of the photo. I think I was around 3??? I do remember several things from when I was 4 and we lived in row housing (walking distance to where I live today). I remember playing postman, playing with the next door neighbour, having tea parties with my mom and dad, the big fight my sisters had over a can of Witchcraft hairspray that came as a sample in our mailbox. LOL And many more.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Three years old - we were at the beach. I walked down to the water, but when I turned around I didn't see my family's umbrella. I remember a woman in a purple bathing suit.

I think that I must not have walked straight down from where my family was, so that when I turned around I didn't see them where I thought that they would be.

Of course I have no idea why my parents let a three year old walk down to the water by herself! Though I do think that my father found me right away.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

There are bits and pieces I remember from when I was 3 or 4 like camping at a lake with my family and those early year Christmas mornings but the earliest thing that sticks out in my mind was when my Appendix ruptured when I was around 4 and had to spend 2 weeks in the hospital. Nearly died they told me when I was older. That was only a few months after I allegedly drank charcoal lighter fluid and had to have my stomach pumped (which I have have no recollection of doing). Related?

• bpath
    3 years ago

I remember sitting on a chair in our front hall deciding that my new baby brother should be named Jimmy, like my friend Debbie’s baby brother. My parents chose otherwise. I still like the names James, Jim, Jimmy, Jamie. I’d have gone with it for one of our boys but given the middle name we had committed to, it would have created an unfortunate monogram.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    3 years ago

I was about 3 (maybe a bit younger - you'll see why). I was walking in the front yard and I pooped my pants. I didn't say anything, just went in the house and my mother went nutso!

• Michele
    3 years ago

I visited Brittany. I had either turned 3 or 4. I’ll have to ask. A different world. This was at my aunt and uncle’s small farm. My grandmother lived there. There was a colt who’s mother had died. She was being a little spoiled by my cousins and would wander into the courtyard looking for treats. My grandmother would start yelling. Everyone was amused. All I remember was my amazement. At that and everything I saw everywhere I looked. All the stone buildings. The green pastures. The animals. Like a beautiful dream.

• HU-178658043
    3 years ago

I was not quite 3 when my grandfather passed, but I vaguely remember a visit to his hospital bed and also a family trip to his grave site before the marker was in place.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

Maybe 3yo, my long hair getting caught in the chain the swing hung from. Chewing on my stuffed monkeys plastic banana, my mom telling me to "stop that"...."I never sucked my thumb and I wasn't starting that bad habit." She said.

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

I've had migraines my whole life. Sometimes the pain gets so bad it makes me sick to my stomach. I remember being about three, with a bad headache, and suddenly "vegetable soup" appeared in my mouth. To this day, I can't eat Campbell's vegetable soup. Wish my first memory was something nicer!

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I must have been about two-three because we moved to the country the year I was four. Dad brought someone he worked with home because of a storm, probably snow. I remember yelling his name and running toward them shouting his name. When I visualize it I get such a warm happy feeling so he must have been a favorite. Something must have happened because my next memory was my grandmother in her bed with my two brothers reading to them telling my mom to get that nasty child out of there and never allow me to enter again.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

I have memories that must have been from about age 3, but I don't know which is oldest. I remember riding in the car and admiring the blue flowers in the ditch. Going with my mom to her hair appointment in a little house that had chickens out back. Playing on my grandparents kitchen floor, pulling myself up on my mom's leg and ... it wasn't Mom! -- I hope I didn't hurt my aunt's feelings too much when I looked up at her and burst out crying, lol.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

I remember going to a party with my father and coming home with my mom.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I must have been 5 and I remember trying to read the newspaper but it was all strange shapes and symbols and I could make no sense of it. The adults really liked the newspaper and talked about what was new. I was told I would be starting school very soon and they would teach me to read. I was very excited about that and eager to go to Kindergarten. I was greatly disappointed when all we did was play and sing. At one point I flatly refused to go because they weren't teaching me to read.

• patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

I think earliest is sitting in a roasting pan of water on my Grannies kitchen floor staying cool in the heat. I know the pan and it isnt very big so I much have been very small. I could stretch my legs out with room left. I have a whole series of memories from when my next sister was born. I wasnt yet three and my Dad stayed home with us. It was miserable. He was always mad and he couldnt cook and would not put salt on our eggs and I couldn't say salt to please him (lisp) and I sat at the table weeping and it drove him nuts. I was thrilled to see my mother come home. I do not recall anything about the new baby.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

We moved from an apartment to a house when I was three, so I can more or less figure out how old I was during certain events. My farthest back memory was leaning some throw pillows against a space heater in that apartment and setting them on fire. Fortunately my parents were right there and grabbed them before they burst into flames. I remember thinking how cozy that would be to lean up against the space heater. I was probably two and a half. My memory of that is seen from about knee high, the perspective of a two year old.

I also remember moving day and sitting on a step at the new house watching the movers. I was three. I have a lot of memories from the apartment where we were from newborn to three.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

I have a bunch of memories from 3-5 years old because we still lived on the farm then. Memories from the farm, and when the new house was being built. We moved out when I was 6, a few months before I turned 7- and those memories I know are the more recent ones because the new house was being built. I got a LOT of memories of that 5-6 years old range.

Prior to that 5 year mark and the new house stuff, I don't know which ones are oldest, they are all kind of the same age to me. If I ran them past my mom, she would probably be able to guess which one was oldest. Like my feet breaking through the winter ice in the creek (I had white snow boots), or the summer we had the storm that blew the creek up to the house (scary and awesome), or the summer when I "discovered" fire ants out behind the barn (ouch, not a fun one).

When the babysitter read us kids Amytyville Horror in the basement laundry room while the machines were going, or when the sound system was installed in the living room and dad played Pink Floyds Animals test the system. When mom remodeled that living room and got a pit couch- so plush.

Stealing the pegs from my brothers new battleship game to play with them in the snow that drifted through the crack of the storm doors in the basement- I got into trouble because I lost some of the white pegs in the snow. My sister taunting me from atop the playset in the back yard because I was too small to climb up, and she could.

The rule of "don't go past the lilacs"- wasn't till I was much older that I realized the road line of the property was lined with lilacs and that was the reason for the rule. The giant rhubarb planted at the corner of the house- and how absolutely HORRIBLE that stuff tasted fresh picked and bit upon. I didn't believe my mom when she said that was the stuff to make the good jam and pie I liked- pretty sure a full blown cooking lesson resulted as mom picked and processed the stuff while I sat at the table to watch for proof, but I don't remember that part. Just how very bad it tasted and how very much I didn't believe mom.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I remember my parents bringing my baby brother home from the hospital. I was 3-1/2 and was hiding behind the front door, watching them walk down the front walk. I guess I was scared he would be ‘taking over’ my spot as Queen.

I don’t recall much before that except a few random memories of us living on the farm in the country. I had a pet parakeet I thought had flown away. Many years later I found out it died and that is just what they told me. I do remember the creek behind the house, the kitchen in the house, the cows my Dad had, my mother being burned pretty badly on her ankles while canning one day when something spilled. So I was probably 2-3 when those things happened as we moved into the house in town when I was 3 I think.

• chisue
    3 years ago

Not sure what was *earliest*, but when I was about three my DM drove back to her old home in Providence. We stayed with a dear friend of hers and the lady's DH -- who became my honorary aunt and uncle. They were renting a summer house near a tiny town near the shore (near Tiverton). My DGM and I shared a second floor bedroom that overlooked a pasture. I remember listening for the 'cow girl' to take cattle to pasture in the mornings and back to the barn for milking in the evenings. The lead cow had a deep-toned bell. I kept the same hours as the cows -- up at dawn and in my bed by dusk. A sweet, calm, peaceful memory.

• aok27502
    3 years ago

I remember the house I was born onto had a screened porch on the front. I had a tricycle, and was trying to ride back and forth. But I couldn't manage the turn at the end, so every time, I had to get off and turn it around. We moved from there when I was four.

I also remember that the family had a Rambler station wagon. This was long before child seats, and I would sit in the middle of the front seat, between Mom driving, and Grandma. I can remember chewing on the dash.😳

• pegasus101
    3 years ago

I was 2, it was winter, someone came to the door, mom answered it and I believe it was my older brother who pulled me back into a tub of very hot water. Mom ran across the room, pulled me out and then ran cold water over my back. Never got a blister. She was amazed that I remembered that.

• nhbaskets
    3 years ago

The thing that stick out in my mind is being told by my older brother that Santa didn’t exist and our parents gave us the gifts. I was 4. Maybe that’s why I love Christmas so much as an adult.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I remember the hospital where I had my tonsils removed when I was 2 1/2.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I was probably around 2 1/2. I remember rising early with my father and him warming up some milk for me on the stove and putting it in a bottle for me. We were in the kitchen of our San Francisco flat and he was cooking breakfast so it must have been a weekend. I was well past bottles but it was the only way they could get me to drink milk. I had a brown teddy bear at the time. He was always losing an eye and my mother would saw it back on. At 3 I got a Zippy the Chimp who replaced the bear. I carried that monkey everywhere by his ear. LOL The ear fell off a few times and had to be restitched also. I was tough on my stuffed animals I guess. By age 3 I wouldn't drink milk at all. In later childhood years I would sometimes drink chocolate milk hot or cold but never plain.

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

I remember the duplex we lived in when I was 2.

I remember laying in the bed, supposed to be taking a nap. I could see from the bedroom into the living room. I had a pencil in my hand and my hand was between the wall & the bed. I was scribbling on the wall, the whole time, watching out for my Mother so as not to get caught. I was totally amazed when I heard her call out, " 'PUDGEDER' ! STOP WRITING ON THE WALLS!" I distinctly remember the sound of the pencil dropping and rolling across the wood floor.

At age 3, same duplex, my sister & I were in the tub together. She would have been 7. Mother got her out, told me to wait right there, and she'd be back to get me. I figured I was big enough to get out by myself. I threw my chubby little leg over the side of the tub and stuck my foot right into the (lit) gas wall heater. Burned it quite well... and I remember it being quite painful.

Nicole -- I had that same zippy chimp!

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Toddling across the crunchy tropical grass lawn in my grandmother's Honolulu back yard while my mother hung laundry on a clothes line.

• lily316
    3 years ago

I have few memories but the earliest is I was standing in my crib in the dark listening to the adults downstairs. Mother, father, aunt, and uncle. I wanted to be with them but knew better than to cry.

• seniorgal
    3 years ago

Although it seems like a very early memory I definitely remember seeing my grandfather in his coffin. I was about 3. The coffin was in the parlor of his home.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

I remember going to an Easter Egg hunt when I was 18 months old. I remember walking with my nephew, who was 11 mo. older than me, about a block to the Quaker church. The Easter egg hunt was at Ruth Goar's house. I was wearing a dress and my mother told me when I sat down to not let anyone see my panties. At the Easter Egg hunt, I was standing off by myself. Mrs. Goar came over to me and told me to come sit down. I was so glad. She took pictures and in the one she gave my mother, I was standing by myself...away from everyone else.

I realize that is very early to have a memory. My daughter's first memory was about the same age. We took her to the Houston Livestock Show. They had a stuffed bucking bull. It was a real bull. You could get your picture made on him. We tried and tried to get Erin to sit on the bull to have a photo made. No way she would do it. She remembers that.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

I remember playing/emulating evel knieval on my trike and going down the steps with my arms out, hitting the mailbox and breaking my arm. next memory was president Kennedy being shot.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Check timelines bragu ,your recollection or description of it may be off a bit.

According to what I found, Knievel did his first public stunt in 1965. JFK was assassinated in 1963. I don't doubt you were injured as you suggest but it wouldn't seem to have been emulating EK unless the two sources I found were wrong. Which could be.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

I was around two and a half or maybe a little older and I looked out the window and saw my sisters bicycling and I had such envy because I wasn't allowed to go out with them and I wanted right then to be as old as they were.

Then when we moved into our new house at 3 years old I remember the first thing they did was change the bathroom area. When I described those memories to my parents they said you couldn't possibly remember. Except I described them so well that they finally believed I could and were astonished. Apparently my other four sisters did not have such early memories.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

EJF: that could be. only the traumatic memories linger most vivid. although I do recall a couple of early Christmas gifts, a pedal tractor and a bike [the trike was an earlier birthday thing] ... as well as our first house. vaguely. Dad built me a bedroom in the attic. The height was perfect for me, but short for my parents.

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

My earliest memory is of my Mom's wailing from an upstairs bedroom when my ten year old brother died in his bed due to rheumatic fever. I was 3. Then during the funeral ride to the cemetery I was made to ride with an uncle that I did not know well. I cried and made a big fuss. This was in 1944.

And I remember the time of air raids during WW2. I remember how scared I was when the phone calls would come to our house to tell my mom to go next door to the one room school house and blow the school siren that would signal a mock air raid to the community. That meant all lights out and Mom would go to the school, blow the siren and wait till we got the all clear phone call at the house and then my sister would turn on our porch light signaling Mom to blow the all clear signal.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    3 years ago

I was about 3 YO when I got my leg tangled up in our porch railing which resulted in a hairline fracture. My only memory of it was the next day looking down at the plaster cast on my leg from the knee down to my ankle.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

I remember being two and a half and playing house with my sister who was three years older. She was brushing my hair which was pretty and curly and then whipped out scissors and chopped off a big batch right above my nose. You could see my white scalp for about two inches. I ran to my mother who cried when she saw me but held me and told me she could fix it.

• Cherryfizz
    3 years ago

Getting this picture taken was my earliest memory at 19 months. I remember throwing my stuffed animal at the photographer. My next early memory was when I was 2 when my brother was born and my Dad brought us to wave to my Mom through her hospital window.

• Indigo Rose
    3 years ago

My first memories are just "snapshots" at age 29 months when we lived in an apartment after my parents sold their house and awaited the closing of the next. My first action memory is of running outside chasing pigeons at that apartment. and of the interesting dimensional cinder blocks of the garage. I have no memory of the house we had just left.

• sealavender
    3 years ago

I have vague memories of going to the World's Fair in NY, or really, the shoes my grandmother had to go there, my Dad crying about JFK's assassination, and my grandmother's death. The JFK thing was first chronologically. I'd have been 4.

• User
    3 years ago

My only memory of living in a different county to the one I grew up in was of falling through some greenery/hedging and looking out onto a playing field. I just remember how huge and scary it looked. I would have been 2 or 3.

After we’d moved, my most vivid initial memories are of a sitting in the middle of the school playground crying because I didn’t know which door to go through and Mrs Goddard (a nice teacher) came and picked me up.

Similar time line was noticing Nicholas Fletcher, and his freckles.

Then accidentally tearing my pink frilly party dress (which I didn’t really like anyway) at Nicholas Fletcher’s birthday party.

Lastly and by no means least, my Uncle Keith’s blue bubble car, which had one door that lifted up at the front instead of out to the side.

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Maddiemo, was your uncle's car an Isetta? They're so cool! My brother's friend had one, and I remember that he used to affix a plunger to the front whenever he parked it because if someone parked too close in front of him, he wouldn't be able to open the door.

• User
    3 years ago

Jupidupi, unfortunately I don’t recall the make of my Uncle’s car. I just remember the colour and that I liked how small it was. I was probably only about 4 or 5 when he had it.

How funny about taking a plunger out on your travels for parking purposes!😁

• iread15
    3 years ago

I was almost 3 years old. Mama drove the car into town; I was in the back seat. We never used the car to go to town; we always walked to save gas. There was a strange woman sitting in the front, passenger seat with her head out the window screaming and shouting. When we got to town, grownups were all over Broad Street screaming, crying, laughing, shouting, hugging, kissing, dancing. I’d never seen anything like it. I had no idea what was going on.

When I was an adult, I discovered it was V-J Day, Aug. 14, 1945, the end of World War II. The strange woman was an acquaintance who rented a room down the street while her husband was in the local, army hospital.

• fran1523
    3 years ago

I was born in 1942 so must have been about 3. I remember being outside with my mother and being aware that she was unusually cheerful and happy and I asked her why. She said because the war is over. Shortly after that two or three of my father's brothers who had been in the service came home and lived with us for a while.