SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aok27502

Could use some decorating help. Trying to help Mom

aok27502
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My in laws have lived in their house 15 years, and she wants to redecorate. Mostly she wants new carpet (currently dark blue), and new paint. She doesn't know what direction to go, and asked me to help. I know what I like, but I don't really know how to help her.

Here are some musts/must'nts:

Her style is traditional, and she has several Oriental rugs in dark blues, deep red and a smattering of beige. These will all stay. None are in rooms with carpet, but they are adjacent. She wants to use the reds and blues in pillows and decor, she has a dark blue wingback chair. She also has a sofa in something like a cappuccino color.

She has maple cabinets in the kitchen with a definite yellow tone. There isn't a lot of wall space in the kitchen.

The dining room has a patterned wallpaper in muted greige and cream above the chair tail, with deep red below. She will not be changing anything here, and its central to the rest of the house.

They have no plans to move, but at 82 and 76, they are considering resale.

So first we thought of going with a mid range beige-y carpet, but not too light. She doesn't want it to look builder-y. We got some samples, and she's underwhelmed. Can keep looking. I was thinking of a paint color in the greige arena. I have Agreeable gray in my house but it looks terrible with the sofa.

So nothing that leans gray. She's not sure she wants brown. I suggested almost white, but she wants some contrast. She's always had yellows and blues and light colors, so going greige is hard for her.

I don't know where to go from here. Given these restrictions, can anyone suggest a route to a whole house color? They have high ceilings with a lot of light, so the house can handle color.

I had suggested starting with the carpet, but they want to wait on installation until spring. I am going to do the painting, over many months, but would like to get started. If only we could make a decision!!

Thanks!!

Comments (68)