SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma_lou2

Stairs: Going up from entry, or tucked away behind a door?

Em
3 years ago

Thanks to much of the advice on here (Mark B I'm talking to you!), my husband and I have decided we will go fully custom instead of buying a floor plan online. I have a vision in my head of what I want and rough plans sketched, but I can't decide if I really have a strong preference on the stair orientation. The stairs will be between the kitchen and family room with a foyer like in the picture (but wider), and either you'll see them when you walk in, like this picture, OR, we could "flip them" to put them to the other side so that you don't see them when you walk in. (harder to find a picture to explain but I think you can get it). That way you wouldn't see stairs when you walk in. If the stairs go up from the opposite side of the entry, they would be between the breakfast nook in our kitchen and another extra "sun" room. The stairs will lead to the bonus room/potential bed 4 upstairs and a full bath. Which do you prefer and why? Also, do you prefer closed off stairs, or open like this?

My current thoughts - I used to hate entry stairs, now I think they're pretty. However I wouldn't mind having the stairs be able to be closed off, in which case I'd probably want the door to the stairs to be on the other side, not right at the entry. But if the stairs weren't going up from the entry, what would go there - maybe a coat closet? I do like the idea of closing the stairs off for energy efficiency since we won't be using that level right away.

Comments (19)