SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_608347935

Living near apple orchard pesticide sprays in NY, ARE WE SAFE????

James H
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hoping to get some information about pesticide sprays. My family and I live right next to an apple orchard that gets sprayed about 8-10 times throughout the months of March-September with pesticides/herbicides and other sprays. The closest tree is only 40 feet away. We get 24 hour notice of the spray. We close all windows, shut off the heating/cooling system, I even tape off vents for fresh air to the boiler. Now I like to think that I am taking every precaution that I can think of to keep the chemicals out of the inside of the house. I have come to terms with the fact that it's on the outside, we take all precautions to not track any in from outside. My main concern is if it is likely or not that the sprays are in the indoor air quality? How long after a spray do I have to be concerned with the indoor and outdoor air quality? Is there anything more that we can be doing to keep the sprays out of the house?

I find myself worrying about my air quality even weeks after a spray has been completed. Even during the winter months when there is no spray I find myself constantly worrying thinking it could be in the dust. Is any of this worry justified? Does the spray stay in a vapor form and enter into the home? If anyone has any knowledge on the topic I would really appreciate it, or even a contact to someone that can help me. Can you live this close to sprays and still be safe? Can someone explain the tendency of the spray, does it get sprayed then land or is their reason to believe the vapor can float and enter the home? Thank you for the help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths