SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_823048747

Calathea Zebrina w/black/brown spots after pest prevention treatment

Rezz A
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello there,

I have a Calathea Zebrina and it has been doing great with beautiful foliage. I did not see any pests on it but I wanted to start pest prevention using natural methods, especially against spider mites.

I took a few drops of neem oil, soap, rubbing alcohol and some tap water to create a mixture for the foliage (don't remember the specific measurements but I don't think I added enough water). I then brushed the mixture on with a toothbrush as lightly as I could all over the leaves and stems. I noticed that once the leaves were wet there were some spots of transparency (light green areas) near the leaf base and sometimes along the the leaf tip when you look through the leaf with a light. I let the mixture sit on the leaves for a few minutes then wiped it off with distilled water. I kept it far away from a window afterwards.

The next morning I have black spots all over the areas where I noticed transparency. I know it was a direct result of what I did to the leaves unfortunately. I feel horrible about it, I think they are chemical burns from the mixture being way too strong. Pictures are below. I know to use distilled water in the mixture and a lot more of it next time. Maybe avoid alcohol and neem together. May I get some additional guidance on what I can improve upon for future pest prevention?

Thank you

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor