SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_vongrosse

fireplace beam mantel

I need some advice on how and where to hang this mantel. It is a reclaimed 9.5" x 10" beam that has not been cut to length yet becasue I cannot decide on length.

My fireplace measures about 77" across with stone.

1. Should beam go over stone or should stone go around beam?

2. Should beam go all the way across or should 4" of stone show at ends of beam.

3. Should beam be in line with the Niche floor or should it be mounted just above. See Pics.

(note: I tried to make the beam and brackets to scale but using my iphone edit features was a little hard to get perfect. Brackets are 4" wide steel straps. In markup, they look a little wider. )

Pic 1: beam goes all the way across and level with Niches. Shorter brackets shown becasue original mounting slots were higher.

Pic 2: Beam inset from sides and level with Niches. 10" long brackets,

Pic 3: Beam hung higher. Bottom of beam will be 66" from floor, over my head and I am 5'4". While it doesn't look bad on this picture, just seems weird to have it over my head. ???

Pic 4 above: Beam is higher and shorter. Brackets look bigger than reality, they should be same width as beam and 4" wide.

Pic 5: Bracket. Dimension 1 will stay 10" but may have to change dim. 2 because the mounting space has already been prepared. Might have to remove a few stones to fit the 10" long bracket I ordered.

Comment (1)