SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djp1978

Partial kitchen update- Maple cabinets to go or not to go?

Diana Parzik
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I spent about 3 months getting measurements, selecting the cabinet design, hardware etc, for an all white kitchen with a blue island, copper sink/hood/lighting and hardware. The overall plan was to tear down a wall, add an island and replace the countertops, floor and backsplash. However, when the cabinet doors showed up at my front door to make the selection between cabinetry line A v.s. cabinetry line B, my partner had the nerve to say to me "why don't we keep the wood cabinets, the white cabinets look cheap", which of course ensued a 3-day arguement. Internally fuming, I couldn't help but agree with him, the cabinet line we were looking at is a composite wood vs. the custom line that was originally installed by the previous home owners. The style of doors are so ornate, but completely outdated and not my taste at all. I'm attaching some photos here of my current kitchen and the intial design.

NEW DESIGN:

I am still planning on tearing out the wall and adding a large island in white, with white backsplash, a white farm house sink and white counter tops throughout and green paint on the wall. Obviously I know I need to upgrade the hardware (maybe black matte cup pulls?) for the maple cabinetry and brass on the white island. I still want to add an oven hood (white instead of copper). I'm adding a few links for below of I am thinking this will come together. Overall if I keep some of the wall cabinets this will save me around $7K.

A few questions I'm still struggling with:

Should I remove all the upper wall cabinets and install only open shelving? Or just replace a few doors to glass? I want to reduce the overall wood footprint, but how much needs to go?

What type of open shelving would be best for this look? open shelving? or industrial? (white or match the wood?)

Should I continue the wood flooring into the kitchen now that the wood flooring almost matches the cabinets (or go with a fun tile?) Floor (or wall tile behind oven hood) or... Gray Floor

Will I end up hating this in another few years and have to redo my kitchen anyways?

I just can't find too many photos out there with the dated cabinets that have pulled off a modern look without entirely repainting them. I welcome photos and feedback. Thank you!!

Conan Light in brushed brass (over open shelving above kitchen sink)

Floor (or wall tile behind oven hood) or...

Gray Floor

Pendant lighting over island

Cup Pulls (French Antique on white island) Color for maple cabinets??

Green Paint

White oven hood (Paint this green?)

Comments (19)