SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zackery_morris

We have a new 2 ton heat pump and have concerns. advice needed.

Zackery Morris
3 years ago

Hello all,

We just had a new 2 ton heat pump and air handler installed last week (house is 1300 sq/ft) to replace the original 15 year old one.

We live in western NC and the outside temp yesterday evening was 42 degrees. My wife had been cooking/baking all evening so the indoor temp was 70 degrees. We like to sleep in cooler temps so instead of allowing the house to naturally cool off I thought I would use the opportunity to switch the heat pump over to cooling to try out the AC for the first time.

Not only did it not cool but it actually raised the temp in the house by a degree. I never really tried my AC on my old heat pump in the winter that I can remember so my questions for you fine people that know more than I are...

1. Is this normal for new heat pumps?

2. Do they not allow cooling at certain outside temps to protect the compressor or unit?

3. Should I be concerned that it will not cool when that time comes this year to start cooling?

And as a follow up question my old inefficient unit would run for 20 -30 minutes to reach set temp. This new unit averages 10 minutes run time until set temp reached. Should I also be concerned that it will not run long enough to pull the humidity out this summer, or am I just overthinking it considering it can get pretty hot and humid in our summers here and should run longer when it does get warmer outside than it's having to run now?

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH