What T.V. programs would you like to bring back?

sal 60 Hanzlik

I love Lucy

Perry Mason

How about you?

SaveComment86Like1
Comments (86)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

What’s My Line?

Celebrity Squares

F Troop

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

The Muppet Show

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

To Tell The Truth. I watch re-runs of that and still enjoy trying to figure out who the imposters are.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

John Stewart

Seinfeld

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Carol Burnett Show

Save    
hallngarden

Becker

2 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Crocket's Victory Garden

McHale's Navy

Hogan's Heroes

M.A.S.H

4 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

Hollywood Squares. Such clever quips, maybe spontaneous maybe not. Might have to call it Slebrity Squares.

2 Likes Save    
foggyj2

Carol Burnett---Victory Garden---Perry Mason- $64.000 question

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

Gilmore Girls

Wings

Variety Shows

1 Like Save    
lgmd_gaz

Night Court

Cheers

2 Likes Save    
HU-753479426

M.A.S.H.

All in the Family

Rockford Files

Everybody Loves Raymond

The French Chef

The Johnny Carson Show

1 Like Save    
Bluebell66

Several of the ones already mentioned, as well as Sports Night and Mad About You.

1 Like Save    
lgmd_gaz

HU-753479426, old Johnny Carson shows are being shown on a channel on tv nightly. Today's late night shows don't come any way near the entertainment that Carson gave us.

7 Likes Save    
janey_alabama

The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Andy Griffith.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

1 Like Save    
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

MASH

All In The Family

Everyone Loves Raymond

Wonder Years

2 Likes Save    
bpath

HU (hey, would you create a user name? Those numbers are too hard to type!) My library has The French Chef on DVD and my DH and I love watching them.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

To tell the truth is still on....and I love it!

Seinfeld I'd bring back.

2 Likes Save    
Lars

Bullwinkle

Perry Mason

1 Like Save    
desertsteph

Bob Newhart, When Things were Rotten

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

There was a program years ago....30?....called Real People. I didn't watch much TV but I watched that. It was episodes about real, interesting people. I recall one was about a guy who was paralyzed and could not walk. He had an Appaloosa horse that was trained to lay down and he could get on the horse. The horse was stolen. I have never forgotten that. I hope the publicity helped him find the horse and get him back.

1 Like Save    
norar_il

West Wing

NYPD Blue

The original This Old House where they did improve a regular house, not almost rebuild a house many of us could not afford.

2 Likes Save    
caflowerluver

The Twilight Zone

Wild Wild West

3 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

Just watched a marathon of "M*A*S*H last week...they sure don't make them

that good anymore. I have seen most of then several times, and will watch

then again. LOL

2 Likes Save    
Rusty

A number of the shows mentioned are still on. I used to like Perry Mason, but I watched an (old, of course) episode recently, and couldn't get interested in it at all. I do still enjoy *M*A*S*H, Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, and a couple of others that I can't think of the name of right now.

Can you imagine the reaction All in the Family would get now? LOL! A very large portion of the population would be up in arms before the first episode was half over!

Rusty

2 Likes Save    
liira55

That Girl

The Golden Girls

Room 222

Welcome Back Kotter

1 Like Save    
blfenton

Firefly

Sportsnight

Save    
Raye Smith

Addam's Family

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show for those Fractured Fairy Tales :)

Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

M*A*S*H

The Scarecrow and Mrs. King

The A-Team

The Dick Van Dyke Show

Kate & Allie

Due South

Save    
arcy_gw

All of the GARDEN shows that made up the G in HGTV!!!!

6 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

I would like to be able to stream existing episodes commercial-free of:

Design, Inc.

The Urban Gardener

Northern Exposure

I would like to see new episodes made of:

The West Wing

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Firefly

Northern Rescue

Emily Owens, M.D.

Veronica Mars

The Finder

The Player

1 Like Save    
woodrose

Victory Garden ( the original with Jim Crockett)

The French Chef

Market Warriors

and many of the classic shows mentioned by others.

Northern Exposure - that's the one I was trying to remember ! ( thanks Fun2BHere !)

and Designing Women ( I can watch some episodes on YouTube)

1 Like Save    
FinallyHome

The Original Law & Order.

There was an old HGTV show called "The Good Life" that I found very inspiring. Each episode showed someone who had hit rock bottom due to loss of job, health, marriage, etc., and how they managed to get back on their feet.

Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

you're on candid camera

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

The Ed Sullivan Show (& prime time variety shows in general). There's nothing like that any more - all manner of top performances from circus acrobats to pop stars to Broadway hits. I love watching the old ones - many of which were before my time, or I was too young to stay up & watch. Not sure if the performers of today would be as entertaining to me, tho.

Thinking of all the old TV shows I enjoy, I'm not sure any of them would be as good if resurrected. It's been tried before and lightning just doesn't strike twice, it seems. A big part of the reason I enjoy watching them now is that it transports me right back to the past and my childhood or youth.

BTW, Perry Mason has been resurrected and folks seem to like it:

Perry Mason 2020

Save    
Ded tired

Upstairs Downstairs

Gilmore Girls

Mary Tyler Moore Show

Save    
Lars

Another one I'd like to bring back is Car 54 (Where Are You?). The acting on that show was what made it, and so you could not have just anyone playing the characters. One of my favorite characters was Toody's wife, Louise, played by Beatrice Pons. One of my favorite episodes featured Mrs. Bronson (Molly Picon) who refused to leave a condemned building.

2 Likes Save    
jupidupi

marilyn_c, Back in 1982 when I moved to New York, I lived near a business owner who must have been a fan of Real People. He had a sandwich shop called, I kid you not, Real People Sandwiches.

1 Like Save    
adellabedella_usa

I love the original Beverly Hillbillies. I think everyone, but Jethro has passed. We occasionally pull it up and marathon watch some episodes. They had some really funny writers.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

You know what still makes me laugh? Green Acres 😄

4 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

Northern Exposure

Wagon Train

Bonanza

1 Like Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

Matlock

Columbo

I didn't watch the above two originally so as I watch them now (during a soaky bath), they're new to me. :-)

I Love Lucy, Here's Lucy, anything with Lucy, Fred, Ethel and Ricky but only Ricky if he doesn't sing.

Gunsmoke (I'm sure they'd screw it up if they did but lost episodes would be good)

My Mother the Car? No, they can keep that one.

The Twilight Zone? Probably another they would mess up but... maybe not.

My Favorite Martian? Nay.

Anything with Archie Bunker, "All in the Family", "Archie's Place", whatever. Maybe a bit on the dark side but no more than "Hogan's Heroes" which I also like. Whatever it is... hopefully the frick·ing obnoxious laugh tracks have fallen out of favor. (As well as out of place background music/noise)

A lot of the series mentioned above I have on hard drive and sometimes put on just for background noise/distraction/take-me-back-to-a-better-day-effect... probably more than I'd care to admit.

Save    
roy4me

Laugh In

2 Likes Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Maverick

Major Crimes and or The Closer

I agree about the original ethos of This Old House

Victory Garden

Curb Appeal

I recall that Combat! was a family favorite - I wonder if I would still like it?

I enjoyed most of the westerns - Rawhide, The Rifleman, Bonanza, Gunsmoke

The Dick Van Dyke show, and The Andy Griffith show

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va

A new Twilight Zone and Outer Limits with the original flavor would be nice but that's a hard row to hoe. Another Green Acres fan here (whoda guessed, nyuk).

2 Likes Save    
Cherryfizz

West Wing. I loved the characters in that show and would liked to have them as friends in real life. It was a great show.

1 Like Save    
OutsidePlaying

My all-time favorite, M.A.S.H. (the movie too)

Seinfeld

Northern Exposure

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

YouTube has Green Acres episodes...

Save    
honibaker

E.R.

St. Elsewhere

Scarecrow and Mrs. King

Kate and Allie

any Bonnie Hunt show (she had 3, all short-lived, but she is SO funny)

1 Like Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

We like to cozy up to late night ME tv and watch the original Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Hour, and others. Those and many other of the older shows mentioned can be found daily on ME TV.

3 Likes Save    
Lars

There are new versions of Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, and they are not as good as the originals.

Thriller used to scare me when it was first on, but I don't think it would today.

1 Like Save    
Anne

Perry Mason, Murder She Wrote, Barney Miller, we watch Andy Griffin a lot on TV Land. My husband would want Gunsmoke, which is also on TV Land. I don’t like it but he watches while I am work.

There was a 60s show with a single African American mom and her son, I can’t remember the name. Mary Tyler Moore & Carol Burnett.

2 Likes Save    
Anne

I liked Bonnie Hunts talk show. Wholesome, funny and nice!

Save    
Anne

Oh, Northern Exposure was good. MASH somehow made you realize how awful the Korean War was but was still funny.

Save    
Anne

Someone upthread posted about the garden shows from HGTV... I am a horrible Gardner but I liked the guy named Paul with the mustache. Did anyone here watch Corner Gas? Canadian show I used to watch, probably on rerun, on some cable channel. Totally my humor, I found some episodes on youtube

Save    
salonva

To repeat what several have mentioned-

Dick Van Dyke Show

Andy Griffith

Ed Sullivan

Save    
honibaker

Anne,

Is your 60's show Julia? (Diahann Carroll (sp), widowed raising a little boy). I liked it, too.

3 Likes Save    
Ont_Gal

We still watch reruns of Lucy, Gilligan and Judging Amy.

I'd love to see even just reruns of Hollywood Squares, but it would be fantastic viewing to me, if it could be revamped with some of todays celebrities

Save    
amylou321

I wish the Two Fat Ladies were still alive and making cooking shows. Sigh......

2 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Keeping Up Appearances with Hyacinth Bucket! British tv show. Hilarious!

2 Likes Save    
Sammy

3 Likes Save    
yeonassky

A favourite of mine is Gardener's journal.

Loved my favorite martian

I dream of Jeannie.

Star Trek though a lot less s#xist

MacGyver. I still try to MacGyver things because of his influence. of course I'm only trying to make sure a loose screw doesn't get loose anymore. And things like that.

Save    
ci_lantro

A lot of those already mentioned plus Moonlighting.

2 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

The Bob Newhart Show

Dick Van Dyke Show

Gunsmoke

Night Court

Maude

Save    
grapefruit1_ar

The Bob Newhart Show

MASH

Sensible Chic

Save    
Lucille

MASH

1 Like Save    
SEA SEA

Hollywood Squares, with Paul Lynde please. He was wonderful.

Match Game from the late 1970s was pretty darn funny. Brett Summers was LOL funny and darn, his name is escaping now...I think he was her dh in real life. I just asked my dh--Charles Nelson Reilly.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman [What kind of a mad man would kill the chickens??]

Rocky and Bullwinkle

SCTV

1 Like Save    
Lars

Speaking of British shows, I would want to see more of Monty Python.

Brett Somers was married to Jack Klugman. Although she and Jack Klugman filed for divorce in 1977, they were still married at the time of her death in 2007. Charles Nelson Reilly was partnered with set designer Patrice Hues until his death also in 2007. Odd that Brett and Charles died the same year, but they were never married to each other.

I was selected to be a contestant on Hollywood Squares and went for the taping, but unfortunately, when I went, it was for the very last episodes, and I had to wait for the guy in front of me to lose before I could go on. I had already gone through make-up, however, and was ready and waiting backstage. I probably would not have won a car anyway.

1 Like Save    
OutsidePlaying

Anne, I think you may be referring to ‘Gardening by the Yard’ with the guy named Paul. His last name escapes me at the moment, but I almost listed that show.

Yes, I watched many episodes of Corner Gas. Very funny series, and you could view it on Prime for a while.

1 Like Save    
Bluebell66

honibaker, Hulu has E.R. I've been watching/listening it while I clean or sew or whatever. It's good to see all the old characters again! Hulu also has Seinfeld. I'll have to check for some of the other shows mentioned. So many good ones here!

1 Like Save    
wednesday morning

I basically quit watching any network TV about the late 60s . Then came cable and we had the history channel and one that showed more independent films and there was alway PBS.

Then came series on the likes of HBO and we watched a few series and some movies.

We look for some of the really old TV shows just for grins. Most of them are so darned dumb, but watch them almost for comic relief if we can find them.

We tried to watch Honeymooners but we were just floored by the how horrible people treated each other. It was almost disturbing.

The old Dobie Gillis is almost unwatchable, too. All of the females in those stories are so vain and stupid with the exception of Zelda who it appears is a "tomboy". It was the times.

I did watch the entire DickVanDyke show and enjoyed that. You got to see that he really was a talented clown.

We watched a few seasons of Father Knows Best. Again a lot of outdated stereotypes. Again, it was the times.

One thing that I like about some of the old TV shows is that they are short. The whole story wraps up in less than 30 minutes, mostly. Some of these new series that are running are hour long shows that just seem to go on forever with new episode and seasons. At least with the half hour shows the storyline was set and it got played out in the end and a new storyline began the next episode.

I watched a couple of series that past year that I just got tired of the story line and kept waiting for some conclusion that, apparently, you had to keep watching the next season to see. I just quit on some of them.

Even Breaking Bad, which we just finished binging all seasons, I was ready for it to round up the story even though I did enjoy it.

We like to keep these little half hour items as a nightcap after we have watched our "feature presentation".

I guess I am only familiar with real vintage TV and almost nothing beyond the late 60s. All we had for years was a small black and white TV with an antenna. We were young and had more interesting things to do than watch TV.

I seek out older movies often. I find that the older movies often have more character development, better storylines and are more relatable characters. All the actors in the older movies did not look like one another and the women did not all have WTF eyebrows!

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Sleepy Hollow with Tim Mison, Warehouse 13 before it added so many to the main cast, and I Survived, Beyond and Back. I do like many of those suggested, but apparently, I miss the odder things.

Save    
SEA SEA

What a great story Lars about being a contestant (almost) on Hollywood Squares. :)

Yes yes. It was Jack Klugman who was Brett's husband. Thanks for sharing that.

Save    
chisue

Is there a 'replacement' for Carol Burnett? Dick Cavett?

Save    
lily316

The Twilight Zone. Carol Burnett show, Alfred Hitchcock, Playhouse 90.

Save    
patriceny

I absolutely adored Northern Exposure. I'd forgotten about it until so many people mentioned it here.

MASH was awesome. Parts of it haven't aged all that well and it occasionally makes me cringe when I watch it now. I still enjoy it though and I like to think about the ways things have changed since it was filmed, etc..

Boston Legal is my all time favorite series. James Spader and Shatner were gold in that.

1 Like Save    
HU-178658043

Does anyone else remember Gadabout Gaddis and Bold Journey?

Save    
chisue

Anyone old enough to remember Captain Video? I remember some rather 'deep' plots. (Well, deep to someone my age at the time.) One was about humans being unable to hear the conversation of elephants...or maybe it was *trees*! Today we know that elephants communicate at very low decibels. Trees? Who can say? Poetic license?

Save    
Anne

Yes @honibaker it was Julia! Dianne Carroll is/ was striking and it was a really sweet show.

Save    
mojomom

West Wing! My all time favorite. Loved the pre-election revival of The Hartsfield Landing episode.

MASH

I also miss Madam Secretary

Save    
Annegriet

Northern Exposure

Gilmore Girls

Frasier

Cheers

Save    
terilyn

Cagney and Lacy, Men in Trees.

Save    
Yayagal

Downton Abbey

1 Like Save    
chloebud

"Today's late night shows don't come any way near the entertainment that Carson gave us."

Couldn't agree more. He was the best by far.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

When my DD was small, we both enjoyed watching Avonlea (loosely based on Anne of Green Gables). I think that would be a nice one to revive.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Coffee With an Architect 12-Step Program for Architecture
Addicted to architecture? We understand. Here's something that may help ... or not
Full Story
For Pros Wisconsin Flooring Firm Builds a Local Legacy of Giving Back
Floor360 has made its makeovers for nonprofit groups central to its work and the local design community
Full Story
Color Beige Is Back: Designers Share 10 Beautiful Warm Paint Colors
Enthusiasm for cool grays has waned, and warm neutrals have returned. See which beige and greige tones designers prefer
Full Story