SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaggyfox44

I bought a lemon. What action can i take?

shaggyfox44
3 years ago

Typical Cleveland, Oh, 1942 cape cod brick exterior, cinder block foundation. We bought the house in 2018.

Our Inspector:

1. Roof has 3-4 layers

2. Small patch of Asbestos above HVAC

3. 200amp grounded circuit breaker with knob and tube wiring, exposed wires, etc.

4. exposed wiring in attic closet

Didn't seem like too bad of a list and the finished basement, decked out like a 50s diner, sold us. The real estate agent din't make much of a fuss about it all either.

The seller unfortunately passed away from lung cancer just 2 days before signing. So we had to wait for the estate to pass to the beneficiary several weeks later.

It took a while to find an insurance company that would cover knob and tube and they all make you disclose the roof age. Finally found one with AGI underwritten by Progressive. Two months after starting the policy and moving in to our new and first home, Progressive sent us a letter stating something along the lines of, "We are canceling your policy effective on the next billing date, due to your lace of attention to fix your roof." Something like that lol. I called them and they said they sent someone out to find we had 3-4 layers on our roof and they wouldn't cover the teardown cost.

We specifically told them when we got policy that we had 3-4 layers. Anyways,

We got a new insurance company, took out a $4500 loan for a new roof just 2 months after closing. We had 4 layers.

I started doing some more digging a few months ago and am still finding new things that amaze me. I started noticing the drywall in the finished basement bubbling so i dug out a big chunk and confirmed my horror. The basement walls are "Framed" with 1x3s WOOD GLUED to the concrete block and a single screw holding it in place up top. The 1/4 drywall or plasterboard, whatever it is, was nailed in with 1 inch nails, no inner or outer corner beads used anywhere,

Wiring was wedged between the "joists" and crammed in the tiniest outlet boxes I've ever seen.

By the window, Drywall was just resting on the crumbling mortar of the window opening and the glass block mortar was installed and formed after the drywall was up.

I took out a few drop ceiling tiles and found the basement was wired with 12/2 wire with no boxes, and no wire nuts, just electrical tape, some going to 2-prong outlets and lights with no boxes. Some of the 12/2 are tied in together as if it were knob and tube.

2 months ago i dug even deeper. I removed the whole wall and hello mold! 1 month ago we got inside waterproofing done. I don't know all the big details but they put in the perforated drain around all 4 corners, weep holes, rocks, battery backup sump pump and some kind of air scrubber.

Upstairs we have a large HVAC register in the floor of the living room, it doesn't work too well because they tapped a hole in the bottom to make a vent for the finished basement and fit a soffit around it.

I had an HVAC tech out to service my system and asked him about it and he pointed out all the loose friable asbestos wrapped loosely around nearly every single register outside...and INSIDE the ducts. i have asbestos blowing in the wind every time the freaking air comes on.

Upstairs bathroom drains are a combination of PVC, ABS and steel or cast iron.

Custom half bath in the basement, sink drain goes through the wall and drains to the laundry drain.

Finally! I have peeling paint in my built- in kitchen cabinets and pantry so I was going to take them back down to wood, bought a lead test kit, you guessed right, we have lead LMAO!

I don't know if anyones gonna read this or answer this question/rant. I'm also just kinda venting a bit and i guess a bit of education for any first time home buyers out there, just because it looks good doesn't mean it is and your one inspector could miss a great MANY of things, use more than one and pay good money for em LMAO I'm just at a loss.

So what would you guys do here? just get it fixed and hope it adds roi? or can i take legal action 3 years after buying?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor