freezing UHT milk?

Fori

I bought a bunch of UHT shelf-stable milk last year in anticipation of some summer road trips which obviously didn't happen. As the "best by" date rapidly approaches, I'm wondering if I should toss it in the freezer. The packages have enough give to probably not burst. I know the texture will suffer a bit but it'll be used mainly for cooking and coffee. It'll probably be okay 6 months after the date without freezing...right?

Anyone have experience to share with extending the life of unopened tetrapacks of UHT milk?

Thanks!

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wednesday morning

I would have to google UHT but assume that you are talking about that in the little foil boxes.

I really do think that the packages will burst in the freezer. .

Why not just use it right now? Why wait for it to get past its date? You can always buy more if you want to in the future.

I suspect that it will still be usable for some time after that date. Most things are.

Save     Thanked by Fori
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Should be enough head space if they are the smaller containers. Put one in the freezer today in a plastic bag to test.

Best use by date is just a company guess. Usually good well past but quality might suffer. Fine for coffee and cooking. If bursting is a fear, you could use a bit in your coffee and freeze the remainder.

Save     Thanked by Fori
Fori

Thanks!

I'd rather not use it up because...well, it's just not that good. It's good when you don't have access to fresh milk. :)

Save    
leahikesgardenspdx

Fori, I have experience with UHT milk. We use it when we're at our summer home for 6-8 weeks and where we have NO refrigeration and there are no quick trips to the store. If it goes too long, I'd say that's 6 months for sure, past it's use by date it tends to separate or clump. It's not appealing. How about mixing it with "regular" milk to use right now? Otherwise freezing seems to be your best option.

Save     Thanked by Fori
Fori

Thank you for the input. I'll freeze one and see if it explodes. If it does, I'll find a way to use it. It'll make a lot of pudding but I'm sure my kids are up to the task if it comes to that!

Save    
wednesday morning

Using it to cook with would probably be your best bet, as you suggested, yourself.

I think that Leah......... is right about the quality changing. It may still be good to consume, but not palatable.

I see that it stands for ultra high temperature milk.

Why not just buy some powdered milk to have as a reserve? It seems that it would keep better and longer.

Save     Thanked by Fori
Fori

I'm putting a box in the fridge and instructing the designated shopper to hold off on buying new milk. We'll see how it goes.

(Powdered milk was ruled out by the kids a while back. The boxed milk has been really convenient for extended camping in the middle of nowhere. But we all drink less plain milk now than we used to so perhaps it's time to switch. The most important thing of course is how well does it work in my coffee!)

Save    
leahikesgardenspdx

There is no comparison between box milk and powdered milk! So true that box milk is handy when you're out in the middle of nowhere. I find that it keeps quite well once opened, even without true refrigeration, if kept in a cooler. You just have to plan to use it up.

Save     Thanked by Fori
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Green Building The Big Freeze: Inventors Break New Ground to Keep Things Cool
Old-fashioned fridges can be energy guzzlers, but there are more eco-friendly ways of keeping food fresh, as these global innovations show
Full Story
Gardening Guides Texas Gardener's March Checklist
So long, freezing temperatures. It's time to kick off spring planting, lavish attention on lawns and sprinkle seeds to your heart's content
Full Story
Gardening 101 This Pro Tip Will Save You Money on Your Container Garden
For large planters, use empty milk cartons or plastic bottles to fill extra space before putting in potting soil
Full Story