SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_437009571

Kitchen renovation layout

Kim Johnston
3 years ago

We recently moved into a new house and are planning on renovating the kitchen (our cabinets are really bad). We are planning on taking a wall down between our kitchen and family room, so will be changing the overall layout of the room. I have a floorplan from a kitchen designer and wanted opinions before purchasing the cabinets. I have included the proposed floor plan as well as images of the existing kitchen and floor plan. We are removing the wall where the existing sink is and moving the door way into the dining room(next to existing fridge) to the left by roughly 3 feet.

My main priorities with a new kitchen are:

- Having separate clean up and cooking areas. We have 4 kids- 17, 14, 11, and 2, who are constantly getting dishes and snacks while I am trying to cook dinner. In our current layout they are behind me constantly at the fridge, sink, microwave. They also use this as an excuse not to unload the dishwasher-ever, since they have to reach over me to get to the cabinets.

- Everything off of the counters. I am trying to incorporate as many areas to tuck away the kitchen clutter, as it seems to just make a messy kitchen look messier. I plan on have pullouts for spices, oil, and utensils, a lift for kitchen aid in the island and storing our toaster oven and coffee pot in appliance garage near the range. We will also be putting a shelf (like in a desk) under the island overhang with outlets for kids cellphones/laptops to get tucked away.

- Large island for kids and entertaining. Our existing island is 2x4 which is awful. Within 15 minutes of everyone being home from school/work it is filled with clutter and everyone Is standing around it completely jamming up the kitchen.

My concern with the proposed layout is:

- Enough counter space (Not counting island). This Is mainly a concern for my partner. He is afraid that even though we added storage for most things, stuff will inevitably end up on the counters near the sink and stove and we won’t have enough space to actually cook and clean.

- Broken L vs L shape. I like the broken L for the purpose of keeping the clean up zone separate, but would keeping an L shape and just adding a pantry/coffee bar next to the dining room doorway be a better use of space.

Thank you so much for any help you might have!

Comments (21)