SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

C daylilies 2021

sherrygirl zone5 N il
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Today is for daylilies that names start with C. The next post will be on Monday.

Quote of the day: “If I had to live my life again I’d make the same mistakes, only sooner”......Tallulah Bankhead.

Cat Dancer had its second bloom season this past summer. I love this oldie and it has done well here so far.

Ciel D’Or, the color catches your eye immediately. I managed to capture the subtle marking on this good performer.

Claudine’s Charm will always be in the garden, and has been a good performer for me.

coast to Coast’s color intensity changes with the temps. It’s always a surprise to see what look it has each day.

Coyote Moon won the bud count here last season and rebloomed. It’s performance alone will keep it in my garden. Smaller blooms on a taller scape.

Crystalline Entity is a true pink and has been a good performer here, has been in the garden about 5 seasons.

Coral Majority is new to the garden here, love the color.

Sherry

Comments (43)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

Sherry:I'll take any of your top 3. Always like Cat Dancer in particular. I'm pretty sure it would fade in my 95+ degree heat, but in your garden it is always outstanding.......I have Coral Majority and it does alright for me. Some fading, but not enough to leave my garden yet................My contribution is named coral too. It's one of the first daylilies I bought. I told the nursery woman to pick one she liked as I didn't know beans about them and this is what she sent. I've loved it ever since. Thanks Judy:

CORAL CORDUROY:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • shive
    3 years ago

Sherry - Claudine's Charm and Coral Majority are my favorites of yours. I used to grow Coyote Moon and Ciel d'Or, and I agree that both are good performers.

Maryl - Coral Coduroy is a really nice coral. The nursery lady picked well.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Related Discussions

Best Yellow Daylilies of 2021

Q

Comments (27)
    I don't pay much attention to yellows - except that I notice how great they look with purples. The ones that do captivate me have either an amazing shape or a great edge. Those that captivated me on this thread include: Amazing Shapes: Simplicity in Motion, Desert Icicle, Olfactory Evidence and Living in Amsterdam. Great Edges: Golden Child, Golden Hibiscus and Butter Cream. Great photo composition: Maryl's Lisa Apps Sybrandt Here's one more of my yellows that always does well: Sweeten Creek is a reliable rebloomer. Debra
    ...See More

Daylily Colors That Defy Description 2021

Q

Comments (12)
    Will try again for more.... This is one of my one year old seedlings. A cross of 'Deepwater Horizon' x 'Allie Katt' Earlier blooms were a smoky purple blend While later it took on brown tones.... RASPBERRY SUEDE It isn't black, it isn't red, it isn't purple.....more likely a combo of all 3 TEDDY BEARS PICNIC Everyone who grows this one knows it can range in color. Sometimes it's purple, sometimes it's tan or brown, sometimes it's a blend PISTACHIO MOON Some days it will look pale lavender and other times nearly white a strange colored seedling out of 'Green Token' ADDIS ABABA Not truly red, but not truly pink......registered as a rose violet red blend
    ...See More

Best Edge-No-Eye Daylilies of 2021

Q

Comments (9)
    Brad - Big Smile definitely goes in this category. I think Mediterranean Sailor has a watermark and would not go here. Celeste - Your picture of Frosted Vintage Ruffles is so pretty. I used to have that one. Grubs completely devoured it , along with many others ENO's I used to grow. I think Tina's Siren Song is watermarked daylily rather than an ENO. It's very pretty though. Here are some I used to have, just as examples: Isle of Skye Crimson Edgings Debra
    ...See More

Best Toothy Daylilies of 2021

Q

Comments (16)
    Debra, WOW Wow! on that first seedling!! Amazing looking flower. Congratulations on some nice seedlings. Nancy, I like your Ruffled Strawberry Parfait x Extreme Tangerine seedling. It is very eye-catching! As for me, toothies are just coming into favor with me. At first I was undecided if I liked them or not but they grew on me. Now I like them quite a lot and the few I acquired this year came late and did not bloom for me because they came from a warmer climate where they had already bloomed. I'm looking forward to next year to see what they will do. These are all I have that bloomed: Absolute Ripper, brand new and a huge bloom on a tiny plant Once and For All, also brand new and didn't have time to get very 'toothy' a toothy seedling of mine, color needs improvement Violet Predator, also brand new and it was late summer/early Fall when it bloomed so too cool for there to be teeth Wild Hair Vampire Fish Thistles and Thorns Ruckus
    ...See More
  • Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Sherry, my favs are Claudine's Charm and Cat Dancer.

Maryl, I agree about Coral Corduroy, lovely color and form.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maryl, coral corduroy is lovely, such a nice edge. I really like selfs like you do, but they need that ruffled edge to ring all the bells for me ; )

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

I really like Cat Dancer. Coral Corduroy is lovely too. We grow Coral Majority here and it is a tremendous grower for us.

Cherry Pie a la Mode is one of our intros for 2021. The name has been accepted.

Cactus Blossom is not one of my favorites, but it is a great grower. It stays in the garden because it has given us an intro (Sonoran Desert Rose) and a couple of nice seedlings that could be intros (all of them late bloomers).

Candy Bandit is going to be a great grower. We planted it in the fall of 2019 and it bloomed in 2020 in one of those leftover scapes. Then it bloomed again. It wouldn't set seeds last season, but I have found that even fertile daylilies need to be well established before they will set seeds.

Candy Coated Confection is a lovely flower, but I worry that the plant might be a bit puny. It's not southern but if it comes from a region with heavy snow cover, it might not be hardy enough for us.

Candy Queen has taken a while to get going. It is southern (a Salter) so might be a bit tender. This is a small flower (4 inches) so I want to us it in the toothy small program.

More to come. . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

Well, I tried to post too many and lost the comment. So here we go again.

Cardinal Explosion is a great grower (but this is not a great picture).

Carnosaur gave us a lot of seeds this past season.

Carpathian Magic (plus his bug friend in the throat) doesn't like our climate but hangs in there and blooms every year.

Carrots Forever is a great grower (and late bloomer). Just wish the flowers opened flatter.

Catching Fire comes up every year looking bad, but finally gets going.

More to come . . .

• daylilybedmaker
    3 years ago

Here are the C's that I grow:

CYBERHAWK

OCKY AND BOLD: I love this wide open bloom from Mr. Bennett.

Caribbean Whipped Cream: A classic.

CHARM CITY CERISE GLOW: This is my first introduction (2021). It is out of RED VOLUNTEER x ENCHANTING ESMERELDA. One of my daylily friends is a garden judge and he was growing a piece of it for me and he said that I need to introduce this as it glows in the garden and does not melt in full sun. He is in Maryland and I am in NY. It does not melt in my garden. It will have an occasional fine white edge as the season goes on. It is 24-27 inches tall with 6 to 6.5 inch blooms. It averages 13- 15 buds per scape on 3 way branching. It is pod and pollen fertile, but it takes some work to set pods. This is most likely due to being in full sun.

More to follow:

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
    3 years ago

Houzz is not letting me post now. I'll try later.

Nancy

• shive
    3 years ago

David and Hoosier Nan - Congrats on your 2021 intros that start with C. Both are beautiful! I have a 2021 registration that starts with C, but I can't post it until I know the name has been accepted.

Houzz hasn't let me upload any photos today. I'll try later.

Debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Sherry I must be in a pink mood because Cat Dancer is speaking to me! I have always liked Crystalline Entity & Claudine's Charm. Coral Majority is a great colour.

Maryl Coral Corduroy is terrific.

hoosier_nan Congrats! Cherry Pie a la Mode is my favorite of yours. It is a real show stopper.

Congrats David! Charm City Cerise Glow is very attractive.

Cherry Cheeks had a tough year. It needs to be moved since most years it fades in full sun.

Chesapeake Crablegs needs to get in the ground this year.

Cool It

Crimson Pirate

Custard Candy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

David, Charm City Cerise Glow is lovely. I love the color.

Cherry Top Hat is a big flat flower.

Chico Tim is one of my favorite eyed daylilies.

Chili Spice took a lot of time to get established here.

Colorful Chaos Nelli is a big vigorous plant. The color of the flower is not as bright as this photo shows.

Coral Crab was new here last season. I have taken a liking to smallish diploid narrow forms.

A few more to come . . .

3 years ago

Crocodile Rock is quite toothy, but I'm really not a fan of yellow suffused with orange. I would prefer saturated orange.

We almost got rid of Crossfire, but now I'm glad we kept it. It's hard to get a good picture (many you see show it as bright red), but it's really a deep red. It is a late bloomer.

The last one for me is Curious Cutie. It's a good grower, but the bloom is not weather-proof.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laurie, what a nice clump of Crimson Pirate! I see some hosta and fern nearby, does it bloom like that with some shade?

Nancy, what exactly do mean that Curious Cutie isn’t weather proof, does it melt in the sun or other problems? I’ve always admired that little beauty.

Sherry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Thank you Sherry. That bed is dappled sun/shade generally but that section gets mostly sun.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Sherry, sun isn't Curious Cutie's problem at least not for us. It is in a spot that gets some shade though. The problem is if rain touches it, it just melts.

Peren.all, Chesapeake Crablegs is beautiful! That's our kind of daylily!

• daylilybedmaker
    3 years ago

Here are some more:

CORINTHIAN PINK. This is an older Stamile intro that i keep because it is a large bloom and I love the color. It is also tall. The older I get the taller I want the scapes.

CLARIFICATION: Got this for breeding purposes because it is supposed to be a great grandparent, but I haven't gotten around to use it.

CIRCUS PERFORMER

More to follow.

David

• daylilybedmaker
    3 years ago

CHEROKEE HERITAGE: A Region 3 hybridizer who passed away several years ago. She and her husband were friends of mine.

CHILLED ORANGE SORBET

CRINTONIC SHADOWLANDS: Grows like a weed and is a prolific bloomer.

CONDILLA: One of the few doubles I grow. It is a great flower, but a pain to divide.

To be continued

David

• daylilybedmaker
    3 years ago

We will try this one more time for the final installment of my C daylilies. It will be broken in 2 parts.

CHARLOTTE ROYCROFT

CLOWN PARADE: Fantastic Bicolor

CLOWNS IN WASHINGTON

More to follow

David

• daylilybedmaker
    3 years ago

Last part:

COURAGE TO CHANGE

CAROLINA COOL DOWN

That's all folks.

David

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    3 years ago

Cameroons

Canter

Captain Noodles

Catastrophe Waitress was really amazing last season

Caught Up In The Clouds

Celestial Army

Chained In The Abyss

Ciel d'Or

Cimarron Rose - I've wanted this for years, but finally got it fall of 19. It's still settling in, but I really love it so far. I don't have any great pics of it on my pc though

Will post more later today, hopefully

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
  • Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

David, I like the color and look of Chilled Orange Sorbet, is that pleated? Sculpted? And I like Clowns in Washington, name makes me laugh, although maybe not so much today.

Laura, my very favorite of yours is Catastrophe Waitress, I love that color. That one has often tempted me, I don't need more daylilies. But you know I am not gonna stop, LOL.

Love Chesapeake Crablegs. And Crocodile Rock from Nancy. I am not keen on orange, but they grab the eye so I have a lot. I actually prefer the more subdued look of Crocodile Rock though.

• daylilybedmaker
    3 years ago

Nancy,

I would say that CHILLED ORANGE SORBET is more toward the pleated side of things rather than sculpted.

Just my opinion.

David

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Thanks for that, David, I don't always get the subtle differences. I like the tidy look of these. There are some newer daylilies, can't remember what they are called without looking it up, and too lazy right now. Crispate? I may chang my mind when I see one in person, but to me they look deformed, LOL! Same reason I don't like all lots of double daylilies some just look messy to me

• shive
    3 years ago

Laura - I love the looks of Canter, and that clump of Ciel d'Or is magnificent! I like the Emmerichs you posted too.

Nancy - I bet you're thinking about crested daylilies, rather than crispates.

Trying to post again. Maybe the third time's the charm.

Carolina Cool Down

Carolina Pale Face

Carolina Blue Moon

Chilled Orange Sorbet is definitely sculpted, rather than pleated.

Cindy's Tie Dye

Click Bait

Cowgirl Spurs was lined out the fall before for introduction, so no giant clump shot this year for the former "Thing That Ate the Seedlling Bed." With the unusually cool temps we had the first weeks of the season, it didn't show it's usual color, nor did it have many teeth.

Core Values

Debra

• shive
    3 years ago

Laura - I love the clumps of Claudine's Charm, Coral Majority and Coyote Moon!

More of my C's:

Clown Parade

Crazy Ivan

Carnal Emporium - Pretty bloom but disappointing bud count here.

Coastal Grand usually has outstanding bud count, but the grubs got to it last year.

Crintonic Lip Gloss is registered as late but blooms mid here. Does not hold its color well when temps are in the 90s. The color is unique and just shimmers in the mornings.

Cobalt Rings

Confessions of a Hemaholic - Shorter than registered here and not many buds. But it has a pretty face and sets seed in 90 degree temps.

Color Crazy

Carmen Renee

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Laura, so many lovely blooms. I chose Classy Columbus and Celestial Army as my favorites. Love your clump shots, hoping the ones I have, that look like yours, will bloom like that soon.

Debra, so glad Houzz finally cooperated, so frustrating at times. I’m glad you didn’t give up! I hope Cowgirl Spurs does great now that is lined out. My favs today are the two Carolina daylilies.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

So many pretty C's. Too many to comment on individually, but there are a few that jump out. Nan: That picture of Crossfire is luscious and I like all of your pastels. I need a few more pastels, but here it's hard to keep it "pastel" and not just a bleached out blob.......David: Your Bennett daylilies are always a welcome sight as are your others......Debra: That Carolina Blue Moon sure is showing off its pattern. Striking. Carolina Pale Face is another of your lovely pinks I like.....Laura: Your lavenders, purples and mauves are fantastic. Cradle of Bethlehem in particular is nice. I also like Canter. Another Rice yellow like my Googies................Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • mantis__oh
    3 years ago

Crystal Castles --can be very nice; would prefer a bit larger.

Carolina Dale --good showing this year, but took a while to establish, and bud count will probably always be modest.

Cancun Candy --I reveled in this earlier bloomer, but needs a couple more years to prove it likes it here. Posted by Nan a few years ago, but haven't seen it recently. Thanks to her for bringing it to my attention.

Call of the Loon

Carl Sagan --would prefer a bit larger, but I like larger flowers

Carnal Emporium --vivid color, but would prefer a bit larger

Contributing Editor --we'll see

Chico Tim --not as enthusiastic as Nan because scape is lanky and flowers upfacing, but we'll see as it matures.

Cary grant --good performer last year

Carrick Wildon --bright and took a good picture.

Chateau Belair. Blooms later. Ethereal lavender, a bit below registered height.

Cardinal Explosion is bright, but some of my pictures make it brighter than reality. Vigorous!

Clarity of Vision

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    3 years ago

A few more Cs in my garden...

Crazy Ivan

Creepy Crawler

Crintonic Rain Dances

And here's a pic of a few of it's scapes, I had to cut them them last year to dig up part of my clump

Crown Of Splendor

Cup Of Cold Water - I don't have any good pictures of it, it's in an impossible spot to get to during bloom season

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
  • shive
    3 years ago

Laura - I envy all those buds on Crintonic Rain Dances. The grubs must have gotten the roots on mine, as scapes were short and not well budded at all. I love its color. Have you hybridized any with it?

Mantis - I love the colors on Crystal Castle and Chateau Belair. Cancun Candy is a pretty one too!

Debra

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

Contact High

Clown Parade

Crystalline Butterfly

Crazy Cat Lady

Maybe a few more in comments

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • organic_kitten
    3 years ago

Cabernet Cabaret

Catastrophe Waiteress

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

Cabbage Butterfly

Christmas in Oz

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Caledonia, an older one but can be a really great bloomer

Citrix

Christmas in Oz

Cameroons Twister

Clown Parade

Concrete Blonde

Choral Fantasy

Cosmic Odyssey

Coach's Magic Man

Cradle of Bethlehem

More to come

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Crazy Ivan

Christmas Greetings, not the best picture of this one

Cameroons

Celtic Veins

Capacity for Wonder

Complex Complexities

Classy Columbus

Seedling I just call Chip

• shive
    3 years ago

Nancy and kay - I like the looks of Christmas in Oz in both of your gardens, and Clown Parade is always a crowd pleaser.

Debra

• pamghatten
    3 years ago

Only 2 C's ... I am a big fan of UF's and spiders .. so that's what I mostly have

Charron the Ferryman:

Chokecherry Mountain - very different form!

• signet_gw(6b)
    3 years ago

Wow MaryL CORAL CORDUROY is a real looker ......what lovely intense color.

Here are a few of my C's . This image has 2 cultivars . Top one is Creature of the Night

By the time Chaotic Design bloomed the drought was well underway

• signet_gw(6b)
    3 years ago

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Still playing catch-up. Here's a list of what especially struck me above.

First, it was cool to open up to Cat Dancer. It's been on my list for years, and many places sell it for only 5. Why don't I have it? And your Ciel D'or picture really does get the details, Sherry.

Maryl, Coral Corduroy is very pretty. Great color. Laura, Capt. Noodles, Classy columbus are nice, Kay Crystalline Butterfly, and Heather Cobraska Necktie. Of course there are great ones that many have like Claudine, Catastrophie Waitress and Coral Majority.

Carman Renee

Castle Pinkney

Catastrophie Waitress

Chance Encounter

Cherry Cheeks

Cherry Treat is a treat in 2 senses of the name: treat as in great color, and treat as in when I get a nice bloom. But it stays despite low bud count and being splotchy very often.

more to come

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Children's Festival

Christmas Day

Christopher Russell

Claws

more below

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Coral Majority

Court Magician

Ciel D'or, a picture from 2015. Looking at this thru the years, the less sun it gets, the less coloring. I did trim the tree so hopefully it will be more like this again.

Chicago Sunrise

that's all

Brad