SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atz_r

Extension - where to place the kitchen? Ideas welcome

atz_r
3 years ago

Hello,

I am in the process of planning a single storey extension on a 1930s 3-bedroom semi-detached house, and would like some general advice ahead of speaking to an architect.

The idea of the extension is to create a more living/entertaining space downstairs (post COVID) as well as additional storage as we settle into our first house.

The ground floor extension would be to re-vamp the existing garage and utility room, and build a new room at the rear of the property. In theory this would create 3 rooms downstairs (excluding the existing living room) although this could be amended. I have attached a before and a mock-up of an after floor plan (hopefully it islegible as am using a free online tool to mock up).

In the new space - currently set out as rooms A, B, C - I would like to make room for a) utility/storage room; b) bedroom with en-suite (doubles as office) and c) kitchen. So in that respect:

• Room A - Open plan kitchen/family room/Orangery (I am blessed with a LOT of natural light throughout the year in the house) which opens up to an outdoor bbq area
  • Room B - Bedroom/Office with ensuite against an outer wall
  • Room C - Storage and Utility room

However for the placement of the kitchen I have a few qualms which I would like some help with. My issues with the kitchen are a) i do not wish to have an open plan kitchen (given the indian sub-continent & far east asian cuisine); b) if I introduce a wall in room A between the kitchen area and the family area, then there will be limited light in the kitchen even with velux windows given how the house is positioned; and c) the (likely to be messy!) kitchen is in full sight from the existing living room which would drive me nuts. I am slightly stuck how I can resolve these issues with the proposed plan, and would appreciate advice/guidance.

Kind Regards and Thank you in advance

Comment (1)